Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #1
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
S-Sedan Dash/Radio LCD's

Ok, so far I've got two little peeves with my Yaris. The major one is why oh why could they not match the color and lighting of the intergrated stereo LCD with the dash? (the power package one with the large LCD screen) The dash LCD has the nice high contrast bright white lighting, and the darn radio LCD is the fugly low contrast green lighting that's hard to read.. If they used the same LCD and lighting in the radio it would be 10 times easier to read, and make the car look 20 times better. How hard would that have been to do? The radio is custom built for the dash, just change the lighting on it even to match..

The other little one is that they could have made the area under the parking brake into a small tray simply by putting an edge on the drivers side, then you'd have a place to put small little things like change from the drive through for a bit..
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
i agree. my cell phone can fit under the park brake without sliding around, although i usually keep it in the cup holder by the steering wheel
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
cubby holes

Yes I agree I don't have a place for the phone either, I tried the handle of the door, it fell out onto the ground when I opened it on day one. Im thinking of trying those nonn slip dash mats to see if that works. Im impressed with my gas mileage that I don't let some of this quite bother me yet, Im trying to find the wiring under the dash that goes to the cigarette lighter I want to grab a 12 volt source to power my XM radio that is swcithed by my ignition anyone know..
N9QGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankota
Ok, so far I've got two little peeves with my Yaris. The major one is why oh why could they not match the color and lighting of the intergrated stereo LCD with the dash? (the power package one with the large LCD screen) The dash LCD has the nice high contrast bright white lighting, and the darn radio LCD is the fugly low contrast green lighting that's hard to read.. If they used the same LCD and lighting in the radio it would be 10 times easier to read, and make the car look 20 times better.
I can totally agree with you on this. I mean the cool blue on the gauges is really pretty sharp I think, but why they have to use the retro 80's green on the display for the head unit This was a MAJOR lack of sight on Toyota's part and because life is the way it is there will not be a way to fix that one whort of butchering your console and placing in a different unit!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #5
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I'm looking into replacing the Green backlight leds with blue ones... I have to find the time to take apart the stero so I can see what type surface mount leds (unless its something comp. different...) so I can order the correct blue ones. I believe that it would be the same procedure that is used when replacing a cellphones screen backlight LCD's. I'll update as I look further into it.
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Ok, so far I've got two little peeves with my Yaris. The major one is why oh why could they not match the color and lighting of the intergrated stereo LCD with the dash? (the power package one with the large LCD screen) The dash LCD has the nice high contrast bright white lighting, and the darn radio LCD is the fugly low contrast green lighting that's hard to read.. If they used the same LCD and lighting in the radio it would be 10 times easier to read, and make the car look 20 times better. How hard would that have been to do? The radio is custom built for the dash, just change the lighting on it even to match..

The other little one is that they could have made the area under the parking brake into a small tray simply by putting an edge on the drivers side, then you'd have a place to put small little things like change from the drive through for a bit..
picked up our yaris last night, and that is the first thing i said to the wife! we have the convenience package and it is the same thing; nice white guage cluster, then the drab green-lit stereo. oh well, if thats the only thing i don't like, i'll be happy!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
I confess, this bothered me as well... But given the cars overall excellence I've gotten over it..

Now if the steering wheel would telescope out, that would be cool.
-Peter
Old 09-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
xfatefailsx07
Lean Wit It. Rock Wit It.

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan - 5 Speed
Indeed it bothers me a little too.. but what can you do...
Quote:
if thats the only thing i don't like, i'll be happy!
xfatefailsx07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
theFEVA

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Type S
ey vodkalush let us know when u find out about the lcd... i would love that same bright white lighting on the stereo... that green is terrible
theFEVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

After I finish my tail lights I'm going to tackel the the LCD coloring...

fyi I cant seem to get these damn tail lights off... I'm looking for the manual for it; does anyone know the trick to get these suckers off?

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
Old 09-18-2006, 06:23 PM   #11
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Ok, unless theres some secret I cant find, you cant very easily take apart your tail-lights so I'm scrapping the idea (i'll prob just tint them).*

Soooo... I took out my stereo; and inturn took it apart. Here is a pic of the head unit without its pretty face plate (see attached)

behind the LCD are atleast another 24-30 more leds.... so if you guys want me to create a DIY let me know.. or say nah because this is not going to be a very un-user friendly mod (an ass load of un-soldering and just as much*soldering - between 50-60 leds to remove and replace)

The cost of new led:*
blue ------ per led $0.29 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $18.85
white ---- per led $0.55 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $35.75
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02607.JPG (100.4 KB, 408 views)

will work for parts

Last edited by vodkalush; 09-18-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
DIY it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #13
twiceover

Drives: 2007 Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
Ok, unless theres some secret I cant find, you cant very easily take apart your tail-lights so I'm scrapping the idea (i'll prob just tint them).*

Soooo... I took out my stereo; and inturn took it apart. Here is a pic of the head unit without its pretty face plate (see attached)

behind the LCD are atleast another 24-30 more leds.... so if you guys want me to create a DIY let me know.. or say nah because this is not going to be a very un-user friendly mod (an ass load of un-soldering and just as much*soldering - between 50-60 leds to remove and replace)

The cost of new led:*
blue ------ per led $0.29 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $18.85
white ---- per led $0.55 (for 50-99; i'd get 65) total = $35.75

I'd definately like a DIY. Are the LEDs for the LCD backlit available? Usually they use a surface mount type that can be hard to find. Sometimes they are only available via bulk, in which case, count me in.

I don't have my Yaris yet, but I can imagine the fugly green color already. I would like to change out for blue.
twiceover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiceover
I'd definately like a DIY. Are the LEDs for the LCD backlit available? Usually they use a surface mount type that can be hard to find. Sometimes they are only available via bulk, in which case, count me in.

I don't have my Yaris yet, but I can imagine the fugly green color already. I would like to change out for blue.
I have found surface mount ones, but i want to be sure that they are the correct ones... before i link.

will work for parts
Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #15
RivasYaris S

Drives: 07 Toyota YARIS S
How much you charge for doing this complete with the dash color
RivasYaris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I want to swap out the green LEDs for blue in the ventilation knobs on my LB. I started messing with them but was afraid to f them up.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:01 AM   #17
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

I'm betting that they are the same type... when i finish with the stereo I'm gonna do the rest of dash colors (minus the speedo/tach)

will work for parts
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #18
silvermeca

Drives: Silver Meca S Sedan
Quote:

About that space under the parking brakes, my Yaris came with the blue lights installed at your feet, and they actually put the light switch under the handbrake. I think there's a space there for another switch as well, perhaps the fog lamps...hence they didn't use that space for storage I think.
silvermeca is offline   Reply With Quote