Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
liam6200

Drives: 2010 Yaris 1.4d
Quick question about the 1.5l engine

Getting a bit bored of the 1.4 diesel in my yaris so was looking at putting the 1.5 petrol in it that you guys get standard, i can get the engine and gearbox and all other bits cheap enough but my main issue im thinking is the wiring loom, to make my life easier i was thinking could i get the full engine bay loom from a 1.5 yaris in america and use that? would it realy be that simple or would it not work? i have abs and no traction control if that helps, on my car there is a fill loom with the fuse box, ecu etc on it and it goes into the car and plugs into the interior loom im guessing or not? is this the same on the 1.5 loom or.... any info would be of much help, cheers!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Black_griffin6

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic 3 door HB
Man, if you're doing an engine swap i'd put a 2ZZ-GE in there.
Black_griffin6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
My guess is that you would need all the sub ECU's as well. airbags, power steering, brakes, etc.

It also might not communicate with your gauge cluster
I'm not quite sure how well USDM (miles) electronics would work in a UK (kilometers) car in general.

Emissions standards may be different.

I'm quite sure no one has attempted the project, so you aren't going to get 100% information beforehand. Good luck!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
ayuhuasca
Yaris Hell

Drives: yaris
yeah the one thing I learned in modding my yaris, is that you can do all the mods you want, but the ECU will just freak so you have to consider al the little stuff, our car has the worst ECU of all cars I have played with.
ayuhuasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
our car has the worst ECU of all cars I have played with.
For going fast, yes.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
ayuhuasca
Yaris Hell

yeah its great if you don't mod the car, but its so fussy.. I came from old school cars so I am just not used to a car doing weird stuff on its own. Like I had a fuse pop and couldn't put it in drive...lol
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
liam6200

thanks for the info guys, i would love to put a 2zz in there, there is actualy one a guy is selling nearby, id have no problem fitting something like that, it would just be the wiring and getting it to work with the other ecu's i wouldnt be bothered about abs or airbags but id want my cluster to work, but even then i could just get an aftermarket speedo/tacho/fuel guage, but still its the wiring i just get to frustrated with it lol, iv got all the wiring diagrams for all toyota engines and models at work but wouldnt want to go to all the trouble of fitting it then not working ha, thats why i kinda wanted to go 1.5 route if it was jus a case of getting the loom but wouldnt wanna pay for one and find it didnt work with my euro ecu's, emissions wouldnt be a problem as ther are "ways" of getting round that, as for the ecu i would proberly get some sort of stand alone ecu but for now a standard 1.5 would do!
Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

engine swap = standalone engine management
Old 01-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #9
sex

Drives: 09 5DR
Not cheaper to get a 1.8 ts?
sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #10
ayuhuasca
Yaris Hell

Its the engine management that is going to get you, our ECU is not easily hacked/modded to accept the new engine.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Not cheaper to get a 1.8 ts?
This would depend on power goals for the project.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Just turn up the BOOOOST. Your diesel is a torque monster compared to the 1.5
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #13
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
I dont know if all that work and money is worth it. This is an outrageous build just to give you ~ 90 whp. Also being a first there is a chance you may spend all that time and money and then halfway in realize its not happening and then you have to reverse the entire process. I would say save your money and if youre looking for something go fast, buy something with two wheels or something more easily mod-able.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
liam6200

yea was just brain picking to see if it was straight forward or not but sounds like it aint worth the hassel, il just keep it as it is and make it look good haha, as for turning up the boost had it remepped so and dont know if he did anything with the boost, its a variable vane turbo on my engine so boost is controled by the ecu rather than vaccum, i havnt done anything to the exhaust so i could do something with that i supose
Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yes. Do that.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
liam6200

was going to email you but might aswel just ask you here, how much do u think postage to the uk will be for your kido coilover kit? sorry i know its in the wrong section to ask
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

USPS Priority is about $140
USPS Express (EMS, recommended for good tracking and speed) is about $150

based on 34 pounds, which might be off by a few.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 AM   #18
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
You'd best be served looking for halfcuts from Japan, particularly the Vitz RS, TRD variants, or even better, the Turbo Modellista. It should include everything you need for the swap.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote