Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
With the Yaris, they're all a must upgrade... haha.

A lightened crank pulley will do two things for an engine.

[1] It will increase power (both HP and TQ) through the entire powerband
[2] It will increase throttle response, directly decreasing 0-60 times

Most mods increase HP or torque in one specific area of the powerband. That header specifically increased HP by 3 at the high end and torque by 3 at the low end. I will have the dyno results online very soon so you can see this. A crank pulley will increase HP and torque throughout. If you gain 8 HP at 1000 RPM, it will be there at 5500. Same with torque.

It is the same theory behind a lightweight rim. Since there is less mass to rotate, your car will be faster as you shave more pounds off of your wheel weight. Now, think about a pulley directly connected to your crankshaft that weighs 60% less. That 60% weight savings transfers into power gained, but in all reality the power was always there... you're just giving your engine the means to perform to its full potential.

You can view various dyno sheets in the group buy thread. The header is wonderful (trust me, I have it!) but I'm betting the pulley will be a better bang for the buck.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote