Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #217
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
You dont need a performance radiator. You need to resolve the issue at hand which is the fluids in you cooling system....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #218
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
You dont need a performance radiator. You need to resolve the issue at hand which is the fluids in you cooling system....
Agreed, just looking ahead as well. I'm thinking coolant was the issue, but we'll see tomorrow when I try driving again.

Garm, I blame my lack of water temperature gauge on you. If you sold an electric gauge, I woulda bought from you and wouldn't be clueless on where to place this stupid sender unit. And no, no scangauge.

Exhaust leak is dealt with, piping is fixed, so first thing tomorrow once again... I need to do a "stress test" before I go get tuned methinks.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #219
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
LOL no problem, sometimes its something simple.

If you are still leaking you are not crushing those crush washers enough. You need to put assloads of strength on it not just wrist tight like a 10mm bolt. I'm pretty strong and I have to put my body into it sometimes for them not to leak at all.

Hope you get it all sorted out
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #220
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
The best part is, driving home I got no CELs, and no overheating lights. So I'm going to work on that coupler a bit more, and fix my exhaust leak (could that cause overheating because it's venting into the engine bay?). Then I'll drive the car around and see if I get any overheating lights again. I'm going to assume the worst and expect to get them, so I've been trying to think of ways to keep the water temperature reasonable. So far, the only two ideas I've had was to pull coolant off the turbo (don't want to), and/or to get a performance radiator.

I may be out $170, but it turns out it was money well spent.
I think you could have saved $170 since probably:

1) The overheating was caused by air present into the system (Emptying the present coolant and fill slowly with new one will solve it). To check that the coolant is free from air, switch on heater in cabin while engine is running and check that is coming hot. If not, there is no flow which is = to air into the system.

2) Error codes will be solved mainly by disconnecting the battery for a half an hour or so.

RE: Exhaust leak. That depends what amount of exhaust is leaking. Mainly the most irritable part is that it will leave a good amount of carbon into the engine bay.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #221
Focus_Sh1ft

Took the car out today and things went great.

One issue though.

I got a CEL after driving for a bit. Pulled into Advance Auto, had the code read, it was an O2 sensor code. The details were something like "bank 1, low positive current." Bank 1 is the sensor on the downpipe, correct? If so, it would explain the burning smell I'm still having lol. Assuming it's that sensor, it isn't ruined because my narrowband still works. So this should be as simple as extending the wire and getting it AWAY from the hot side, and heat wrapping it some more, just need to be 100% sure that it is the wire in question.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #222
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I had that same code IIRC, Toyota had to replace the entire downpipe/cat converter system.

(The warranty is quite long, so you should still be covered.)
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #223
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

It will be a cold day in hell if Toyota ever replaces anything under warranty in a heavily engine modified vehicle for free. Think you may have ruined the sensor when it was doused in oil if it was doused in oil. you did say the downpipe had oil in it or not? Can you get the exact P code number? Bank 1, you only have one bank :P So it will be S1 B1 if its primary, S2 B1 if its secondary.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #224
Focus_Sh1ft

I don't know if I'm in denial or not, but I don't think it's ruined. It was running fine until the engine got really hot, and there was a burning smell. The shrink wrap on it was very hot as well. The fact that my narrowband still displayed accurate AFRs tells me it's not shot, but if I don't address it now it most certainly will be. I'm going to run some resistance checks now to make sure it is okay.

And Toyota replacing it? I'm on my own from now on lol. I knew this right from day one. Should take my car in one day and see just how much they freak out though.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #225
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Video please
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #226
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Should take my car in one day and see just how much they freak out though.
I did -- that was really fun.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #227
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
LOL

Btw guys, I looked up the code I had and it was P2238, "O2 Sensor Positive Current Control Circuit Low." Anyone have any ideas?

As expected, it seems to be related to the A/F sensor. Like I said, the fact that I still get readings on the narrowgauge means it can't be ruined. I still had the CEL when I turned the car on an hour ago too... Does the code just have to be cleared?

And videos.. Soon... Need to find our camera...

EDIT: I'm pretty sure there's a short circuit in the +B wire. Will do a continuity test tomorrow.

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 09-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #228
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Sounds like you got a bad O2 sensor. This is the top sensor before cat. converter. Or possibly your car is runing very rich with the 1zz injectors and may need tuning with the AEM FIC. What does your wideband sensor read?
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #229
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

http://highlanderclub.ru/files/manua...4h/cip2238.pdf

BAMP
Old 09-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #230
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
you should have videoed that, I am sure it was great entertainment.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #231
Focus_Sh1ft

CEL solved. Surprisingly, it was the wire I run off the narrowband gauge, It was either short circuiting / open circuit, but once I cut it the CEL disappeared. All other wires were showing continuity and the correct voltage, so I was getting a little worried.

I also extended the A/F sensor wires and ran it through some heat retardant plastic conduit. I have it running away from the downpipe to the ECM, then across the top. If there was any wire burning issues, this should hopefully be resolved now.

Also had a small coolant leak STILL. I finally just replaced the brass fitting I was using and it seems to be ok now.

As soon as all these damn problems stop coming up I'll get more pictures and video up lol. It's been over a week of battling problems and I'd like to just drive the car care-free.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #232
Focus_Sh1ft

God I need a code reader...

Got another CEL tonight. No idea what it is, but I'm assuming it's O2 related again. I wouldn't be surprised considering I put electric tape too close to the sensor and its become molted and is boiling on the O2 sensor lmao. Gonna uh... Clean that off before drawing any other conclusions.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #233
Focus_Sh1ft

Just got my codes read. I still have P2238, but now I have P0101. The latter is "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance." Interesting that both are circuit related... Anyone have any ideas on what's going on?

Would like to add that the car drives absolutely fine.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #234
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Pulling in more air and running a different AFR than expected more than a certain # of seconds will throw codes im thinking. ECU is constantly adjusting for the airflow and fuel. This only happens when you enter boost? You install your management system with a MAF clamp and a narrowband adjuster to make it seem like the ECU only sees 14.7 all the time?