Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #19
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
Car and Driver has a road test of the Fiesta. It is a Euro-spec version, but Ford states that the suspension settings will not be changed for the U.S. version.

Here is an excerpt:
Quote:
After we’d burned through just three or four tanks of fuel—the Fiesta’s 12.0-gallon tank is good for about 300 miles—it became apparent that this would be a much better choice for a coast-to-coast ride than we’d anticipated—quieter than expected, even cruising at 80 to 85 mph, which the Fiesta managed easily. The bucket seats—leather-clad in this car—were comfortable, with a nice range of adjustability. Pedal placement was sports-car correct, and the shift lever for the five-speed manual was close to the reach. Okay, scratch that last part; of course it was close to the reach, nothing in a subcompact car is very far away. Shift quality was precise, save for some resistance going into reverse, so there was little grousing about the gearbox save for a feeling that a six-speed would take better advantage of the Fiesta’s 118-hp powerband.

Zero to 60: 8.7 Seconds

On the other hand, 8.7 seconds to 60 mph is near the leading edge for cars in this class, and 38 mpg while cruising at 80 mph or so is ditto. For the whole trip—4098 miles in eight days, counting the run from Ann Arbor to Manhattan—we recorded 31 mpg.
Even though I have owned nothing but manual transmissions for years, I would be interested in trying out the new 6 speed automatic. I also like the lighting of the Fiesta's gauges.

I find the option list attractive even though it will make the car more expensive.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I was under the impression that it's been a Mazda 2/Demio [3rd Gen] in Europe/Asia long before [2007] Ford decided to call it their Fiesta

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda2
Seriously? you are arguing if a ford is a ford or a mazda? Isn't that like arguing if somebody's H2 is a hummer or a GM (suburban)?

I mean... ford bought 51%... very nit picky.

too bad this car will only sport 118hp.... I think these cars should be made in two variations... sport (130-150hp) and eco (90-110hp). Would be cool to see some 3 cylinder turbos too.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #21
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdallah380 View Post
overall fiesta is a great car but dont forget its real rival maybe the new renault twingo!!
Not in the US. I don't see any Renault around here.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #22
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
looks really hot but I am not a big ford fan. I cant see paying more money for a car that will get less than 200k miles, if even close.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
too bad this car will only sport 118hp.... I think these cars should be made in two variations... sport (130-150hp) and eco (90-110hp). Would be cool to see some 3 cylinder turbos too.
It's hard enough for these companies to squeeze out a profit in the econo market, adding an engine option makes it even more difficult. Options are always nice but it's easier said than done. 118 is a good balanced level. More power than the Yaris and still better fuel efficiency because of the 6-speed.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #24
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
looks really hot but I am not a big ford fan. I cant see paying more money for a car that will get less than 200k miles, if even close.
Even past Ford's known for bad quality could make it to 200K. This Fiesta will easily do that with few issues. Ford's quality is progressing as fast as Hyundai's which is to say at light speed.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #25
Form>Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Even past Ford's known for bad quality could make it to 200K. This Fiesta will easily do that with few issues. Ford's quality is progressing as fast as Hyundai's which is to say at light speed.
my girls on her second mustang and the first one got ~ 130k and this one has ~115k and is dying. My boss had an explorer that he got 165k out of after pouring money into it and my dad had an old tempo that dies at ~115k. Too much bad experience around me to trust them.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 PM   #26
Kal-El

Quote:
my girls on her second mustang and the first one got ~ 130k and this one has ~115k and is dying. My boss had an explorer that he got 165k out of after pouring money into it and my dad had an old tempo that dies at ~115k. Too much bad experience around me to trust them.
No wonder, you mentioned Ford's worst. Tempo? That's like 25 years ago.

It's like comparing the Hyundai Excel with today's Hyundai's which will outlast any Mercedes or BMW.

Remember, we now have the guy who successfully ran Boeing for decades now running Ford with a whole new process and priority. It's a different company than it was just 5 or so years ago.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #27
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
It's hard enough for these companies to squeeze out a profit in the econo market, adding an engine option makes it even more difficult. Options are always nice but it's easier said than done. 118 is a good balanced level. More power than the Yaris and still better fuel efficiency because of the 6-speed.
true... just need more people to see the light and stop buying SUV's and trucks... once that happens maybe we'll see some options in the "hot hatch" sector.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:

explorers and mustangs and anything bigger (except pickups) are the worst fords

fords small cars rock.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
Form>Function

Yea i hear the trucks are outstanding but im just not sure about the cars maybe ur right and their compact car division is good.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 AM   #30
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I was going to say the Ford's worst was the Pinto. That model liked to kill people...

The only Ford I would seriously consider buying would be a truck, and even then I'd think long and hard about it.

I keep going back to my initial reasons for buying into Toyota. Fantastic service, excellent product, excellent engineering, and spectacular resale. I doubt Ford can even match the first service expectation. I gave Dodge the chance and they bombed that badly. My first and only Pontiac bombed any type of reliability.

I came around to Toyota and haven't looked back since. Sorry Ford...you do not have a customer in me.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #31
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
300 miles on a 12 gallon tank isn't much, 31mpg is in no way spectacular for a small car when Ford's larger vehicles are hitting that number. I'm going to reserve judgement on the mpg side considering it was Car and Driver people who seem to have lead feet.

And I agree with Kal-El about not having a sporty engine option. Ford MC is finally using sense for a change and it seems they've been using sense since the auto downfall when they didn't take government money and stayed afloat.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 AM   #32
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
Quote:
Yea i hear the trucks are outstanding but im just not sure about the cars maybe ur right and their compact car division is good.
trucks and SUV's, my friend is hitting 140,000 miles on his ford explorer and the most major problem he ever had was replacing the battery, otherwise that car is a beast, and he drives it hard too, not like a granny
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #34
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
just seen a well rusted red FESTIVA with a loud exhaust and 3 people in it few days ago . Those cars are like the ENERGIZER bunny , http://nxtbot.com/blog/wp-content/up...izer-bunny.jpg . Brings back some fond memories .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:40 PM   #35
cdavidhess

Drives: 2008 White Yaris Sedan 5 speed
Edmunds.com has a new review of the Fiesta - http://www.edmunds.com/ford/fiesta/2011/review.html

Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
We can say without hesitation that the 2011 Ford Fiesta provides the most rewarding drive in its class. Though its acceleration is just average, in the real world of stop-and-go traffic and freeway merging, the Fiesta's mill is a pleasure. The eager-to-rev 1.6 delivers ample punch down low and remains butter-smooth even when taken to redline. The manual transmission is precise and easy to shift, boasting a linear clutch and light throws. The available six-speed automatic is another unusual perk in this class.

The Ford's steering is the new segment benchmark, from the weighting of its effort to the immediate and precise response. And the sophisticated suspension tuning makes the Fiesta feel at once substantial and lithe. Handling is excellent, yet the ride quality remains supple, with bumps and ruts swallowed sans drama.