Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
There are some folks on this forum who say they know how to drive a MT yet their MT Yaris ate its clutch.

I suspect the on/off throttle control has something to do with this.

So....look out!

Yeah, modern clutch longevity is a real worry for me. I have never had a factory clutch fail on me in 35+ years of driving 1982-2000 model year Honda Manuals - even at 200K miles on the clutch. I hope to have similar luck with my Yaris.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Nothing too crazy initially.

- Exhaust Tip
- OEM Toyota VVT-i badge on rear driver's side to offset/balance Yaris badge on passenger side
- Small Vinyl die-cut 'TRD' white logo on upper passenger-side front windshield
- Tinted Windows - 35% sides/back, 3M crystalline tint front windshield (the sun is BRUTAL out here!!!)
- Protective UV/Bra 3M film on headlights
- Authentic TRD Manual Leather Shift Knob (the factory one is sort of boring/wimpy).
- Thin black rubber paint-protective rear license plate frame
- Elongated European style front license plate for gaping maw front grill (not sure which country graphic to go with yet - country-of -origin France perhaps?)
- I want a driver's side all-weather mat instead of carpet, so I will have to buy the entire set probably just to get the one mat that I want to use in the car, lol.

Haven't decided when to go for a different 16" alloy wheel design that I like better. Either later this year, or sometime next year. I also want a TRD rear sway bar (if it fits), just not sure when exactly yet.

Also, I wonder how the car would look with a blacked-out roof, instead of white. I've seen some European cars with that, and it looked sharp on white car with tinted windows. Just a random thought.
Very cool. Wheels would def be my first thought.

In respect to the black tops, my bro in law has a black hood, roof and trunk on his BMW 3 series. Looks really good.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #21
3rdSEman

Drives: Black 2012 SE manual
Really nice and stands out in white... you'll like the somewhat tauter dynamics of the SE.

He he - now that you've driven the car a few miles, just picture how you would have felt if you had ordered an automatic transmission : \

May I suggest peeling the dealer adhesive label on the trunk while it's fresh ?

Congrats...
3rdSEman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:37 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdSEman View Post
I haven't done this yet ( I've had my car for 1 year + 1 day). Any idea as to how to 'coax' it to peel or at least peel a bit without damaging the paint ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 AM   #23
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdSEman View Post
Really nice and stands out in white... you'll like the somewhat tauter dynamics of the SE.

He he - now that you've driven the car a few miles, just picture how you would have felt if you had ordered an automatic transmission : \

Congrats...
Yep - I peeled the dealer adhesive off later the same day, after taking those pictures. It peeled off pretty easy by hand out here in this heat, but I still need to get some sticky residue removed from that area when I go to wash/wax/detail it this weekend. I'm surprised it wasn't more baked on, considering this car sat unwanted on the dealer lot in Colorado for over 6 months before I bought it. The dealership didn't even try to negotiate/haggle when I low-balled them a price - they just said yes and sent the paperwork. I guess they were glad to be rid of the 2015, before the 2016 models roll in soon. No love for the Yaris - especially the manuals.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:22 AM   #24
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
I haven't done this yet ( I've had my car for 1 year + 1 day). Any idea as to how to 'coax' it to peel or at least peel a bit without damaging the paint ?
From what I read on the internet, you just heat it up with a blow-dryer (or the blazing hot AZ sun) and then take something like a drivers license to get the edge started, and then just peel it up.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Yeah, modern clutch longevity is a real worry for me. I have never had a factory clutch fail on me in 35+ years of driving 1982-2000 model year Honda Manuals - even at 200K miles on the clutch. I hope to have similar luck with my Yaris.
I deal with the on/off throttle on my 09 with AT by letting off the brake and letting the car roll forward with the engine idling. Once its rolling the throttle may be advanced smoothly.

Maneuvering in a tight space is tricky however!

Perhaps some version of this can be applied to a MT.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 AM   #26
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I always peel that sticker off the day I get the car. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be too mean if I peeled it off on the lot before leaving. Lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
From what I read on the internet, you just heat it up with a blow-dryer (or the blazing hot AZ sun) and then take something like a drivers license to get the edge started, and then just peel it up.
Thanks. My silver '14 is the first car I've ever owned (most purchased new) that has had one of these 'dealer ad ' stickers. I guess I've just been lucky.
Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #28
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Thanks. My silver '14 is the first car I've ever owned (most purchased new) that has had one of these 'dealer ad ' stickers. I guess I've just been lucky.
The dealer one on my Yaris was some sort of cheap die-cut rubbery clear plastic with imprints of letters/graphics on them - not the type that I am used to seeing. It peeled up pretty easy. The ones on some of my older cars were made of pin-stripping type material and once they baked on in the sun, they were a nightmare to remove, since they broke apart so easily into little pieces if you tried to peel it up.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:21 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The dealer one on my Yaris was some sort of cheap die-cut rubbery clear plastic with imprints of letters/graphics on them - not the type that I am used to seeing. It peeled up pretty easy. The ones on some of my older cars were made of pin-stripping type material and once they baked on in the sun, they were a nightmare to remove, since they broke apart so easily into little pieces if you tried to peel it up.
I thought about what you wrote about it coming off pretty easily in the Phoenix heat.I've been to all of the 40 largest cities in the U.S. except Charlotte (the airport doesn't count ) and Phoenix has got to be #1 for the consistently highest Summer heat index, followed by Houston, DFW, and San Antonio battling each other pretty evenly. I figured what worked for you might work for me. I let the car bake in the sun for about three hours. I then did two important time dependent errands...making sure I parked in the sun. I then sat down behind the car and scraped with my nail I had recently trimmed. The last T and the only A in TOYOTA came off very easily. I was so encouraged, I scraped off the rest of the letters very quickly. The letters came off easily, but I did this so fast, gummy residue was stiill left behind. I tried spit and a cloth. Didn't help. I took the small cloth and walked to a nearby business and rinsed and soked the small cloth. I came back and wiped again. Still didn't help. I decided to go to Fred Haas Toyota and ask someone there. I drove up (a half hour before service and parts close) and they had just finished putting cones up so no more people could get in line. I parked and walked into the service writer's building. One of the service writers suggested using any road tar, etc removal product from a chain auto parts store...and after removal. put a bit of wax on that area.

I went to the parts department to see if they had a TRD plate frame (wanted to get rid of the one with the same Florida dealer name as the lettering I just removed). They didn't have a TRD plate frame, but they gave me a 2 pack of metal Fred Haas frames .

I decided to do a bit more research on the internet re paint friendly 'gummy residue' solutions. Eventually I found a detailing article that claimed either Windex or WD-40 would work and not damage the paint. I was about a block away from a Wal-Mart, so I decided to see if the 'Windex' in the trough at their gas station was strong enough. Nope, not strong enough...didn't help. I went home and grabbed some Windex. That worked. All the residue and the 'dirt' on top of the residue disappeared. Later, in different light, I saw something I hadn't seen before. The best way to describe it is that the stenciling baked on an EXTREMELY faint clear hologram of the previous lettering. It can only be seen at a distance of 18" or less, and only in certain types of light and at very limited angles. I'm very pleased with the results....won't 'nag' at me at all .

Perhaps my story will help someone else () who procrastinated () re removing such lettering.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #30
nookandcrannycar

^^^^^ Obviously, this isn't an actual hologram...that's just the best way to describe the appearance.
Old 08-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #31
Kalispel

I went out this morning around 8am and did a couple things to my Yaris. It is supposed to get up to 113+ today here in Phoenix, and it was hot as hell even at that time in the morning.

I installed the polished stainless-steel exhaust tip, the VVT-i badge, and cleaned the dealer sticker gunk off the lower hatch lid. I am going to try and get up around 5:30am tomorrow and wash/wax/detail her, since she will need a good coat of quality wax on her in this weather. Here are some pics of the work thus far:

In case anyone is interested:

The Toyota Part Number for the VVT-i badge is 75443-06151. It is quality metal construction with the same adhesive backing as what is on the OEM Yaris and SE badge.

The exhaust tip was a great fit on the 2015 Yaris, and is a 'Superior 28-6201 2 1/2" x 6" Stainless Steel, Slant Bolt-On Exhaust Tip' that I found on Amazon for around $22. The intake is 2" and the outlet is 2.5" - just the right size IMO.

Oh, and just for the fun of it, I put this decal on my upper passenger front window. It is small, but I like it.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #32
Kalispel

Also put a small white TRD decal on the inside gearbox. Sorry for the fuzzy, sun-drenched pic...

Old 08-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #33
nookandcrannycar

Great job of getting the dealer decal off. I was so used to looking at mine, that that area seems a little 'naked' now......but I'm VERY glad I'm no longer giving free advertising to my dealer in Florida. While I was looking for the TRD plate frames (and got free dealer ones from my LOCAL dealer as a consolation), I saw that my local dealer has one TRD badge left for $12.95. I think I'm going to pick that up tomorrow and put it where the dealer decal used to be .
Old 08-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #34
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Have you used the cup holders yet? I'm curious how they might hold a bottle of water, or in my usual case a Venti Starbucks drink. Not crazy about the placement, but if they work well I'd be happy.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #35
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Have you used the cup holders yet? I'm curious how they might hold a bottle of water, or in my usual case a Venti Starbucks drink. Not crazy about the placement, but if they work well I'd be happy.
The dual front cup holders aren't very large, and seem suited for things like the regular-sized bottles of water or a small/medium-sized fast food drink. I had a tall/skinny 16.9 FL OZ standard-sized bottle of water in there a few days ago and it fit easily enough. I haven't tested it yet, but they don't visually appear to be large enough to hold a "big gulp" type cup very well - though that would fit in the larger one between the two front seats.

I ordered one of the OEM Toyota "lid/hinged ashtray cups" to fit into the rear cup holder between the seats, as a change holder. I will also test-fit it to the cup holder in the door and the dual ones in front of the gear box - and if it fits in those locations also I may order at least one more for extra concealed/removeable storage (one dedicated to pennies only at least, since I prefer to keep those separate and roll them into 50 cent rolls towards gas-money as they build up).

-
Old 08-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #36
Kalispel

I normally work 7 days per week (56 hours/week, 8 per day), but decided I'm going to start taking one Sunday off every month in order to wash/wax/detail my Yaris. Gotta keep her protected as much as I can from the brutal Arizona sun/heat.

I got up at 6am this morning and managed to get her fully wash/waxed/detailed, inside and out, but I tend to be a pokey cleaner just like I am a pokey "speed limit" type driver most of the time, and the sun was killing me by the end around noon or so. I am also sort of OCD about details, so washing/waxing/detailing takes me longer than it should. But on the bright side, it gave me a chance to examine literally every aspect of my Yaris and get to know it better. I'm sure I will be feeling a sunburn tomorrow, lol.

The more I drive this car, the happier I am with my choice to get it. The only must-do things I have left to do ASAP is install a license plate frame/protective backing when I am able to get my tag, and then get the windows tinted/shielded appropriately (including some street-legal 3M Crystalline protective tint for the front windshield). I also ordered a 'Covercraft UV11265SV UVS100 Silver Heat Shield' (custom fit for 2012+ Yaris front windshield) to help prevent the sun/heat from coming through that monster-sized front windshield when it is parked at work, etc.. The dark cloth seats in the SE heat up pretty toasty when the sun is hitting them directly through the windows.

I'm putting together a pretty comprehensive list of likes and dislikes about my 2015 Yaris SE and will post it later this week, after I drive it for another week to work. Interesting enough, some of my initial observations about the car, such as the sensitive gas-pedal, are non-issues now that I am accustomed to it. I was just used to having a heavier foot with my 2000 Accord and the older cable-driven accelerator mechanics, so it was a shock the first time I drove my 2015 Yaris.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 08-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.