Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Joker4274
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Having the same issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaz View Post
I do have the same issue with my 07 Yaris I took for the car to Northridge Toyota ;The third time for the issue describe above on June 5th 2009 They want to charge me because my car is over 52,000, my warranty is up and they told me it would be charge to diagnostic the same issue on the car has been repaired under the warranty twice.I declined,and
I escalated to Toyota Motors They get in the same position as the dealers saying the following : The dealership determined that the failure was not a factory defect rather it is a customer related problem. Mr XX is leaving his car in a unprotected area. The drain hoses for the a/c on his Yaris are being plugged by foriegn debris causing the water to back up in the evaporator and is causing the leak into his vehicle. He was told on both occassions that this is not a warrantable issue outside influences are not covered by Toyota. On his two previous appointments the debris was cleaned out of his vehicle as a Goodwill gesture from Northridge Toyota and the Factory. He has complained to Toyota Motor Sales and Toyota has turned him down for any Warranty assistance. Mr XX Yaris is now out of the Factory Warranty. Knowing that I went to different Dealership : Thanks to service Advisor and his mechanic explained me the issue why it get debris inside the a/c box I understood clearly is a manufacturer issue because if you put anything in your glove compartment when you have the A/C button in circulation mode the A/C Box sucks air inside of the box causing with the time the drain plug be clogged and the fluid will leak inside the passenger side under the carpet.In order the A/C drain plug don't get clogged you can't put anything inside the glove compartment.
This is Lemon issue affecting most of the Toyota Yaris Hatchback 07-up
If you guys get the same issue as my self hit me up for legal referal against Toyota Motors.
Regards
Tenaz
Pd: I'll keep you update.
Tenaz I can relate to the same issue as you, I just recent had the same issue with my wife's 2008 Yaris. I got it unclogged but in the progress of getting it taken care of I think it has messed up the blower motor or transistor one as well. It dosen't drain in the floorboard on the passenger side anymore, but now when you turn it on high the blower blows for a few minutes and then dosen't blow at all. I will appreciate any legal information you can give me on this if there is a ongoing action going on against it.
Joker4274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
VICKY_K
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2010-4D-hatchback
Me too

I am having exactly same problem - this is the 2nd time it happened -
first time we had big rain for days and I started noticing the noise when turning, water in the passenger side, etc .. all the same...(when the AC was on) -- reading info I found about cleaning the A/C draining hose( that should drain to the street under the car) --I did the cleaning and got lot of water out..
--problem stopped for 3 months. More rain and...same thing again..
I did the cleaning - got water out - but I noticed that still is leaking when the AC is running - by the way I empty the glove compartment since the first time happend.. I read it in a forum.
Just this morning I took it to Toyota (with warranty) and the guy told me they know exactly what is the problem but toyota does not have a recall for this problem. After waiting 1 hr, he came back saying it will take longer than expected, because they need to dry all the carpets, etc .. and they gave me a rental car while they work on mine! Toyota pays for the rental, but no for insurance.
I am/was a Toyota buyer !!!! but this is Huge let down - disappointment - they know this a known problem and they should make a recall and fix all Yaris!!!
I will appreciate any information on this if there is a ongoing action going on against toyota.
THANKS - I will write about my "fix" and will try to get information on what exactly they replaced.
VICKY_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICKY_K View Post
I am having exactly same problem - this is the 2nd time it happened -
first time we had big rain for days and I started noticing the noise when turning, water in the passenger side, etc .. all the same...(when the AC was on) -- reading info I found about cleaning the A/C draining hose( that should drain to the street under the car) --I did the cleaning and got lot of water out..
--problem stopped for 3 months. More rain and...same thing again..
I did the cleaning - got water out - but I noticed that still is leaking when the AC is running - by the way I empty the glove compartment since the first time happend.. I read it in a forum.
Just this morning I took it to Toyota (with warranty) and the guy told me they know exactly what is the problem but toyota does not have a recall for this problem. After waiting 1 hr, he came back saying it will take longer than expected, because they need to dry all the carpets, etc .. and they gave me a rental car while they work on mine! Toyota pays for the rental, but no for insurance.
I am/was a Toyota buyer !!!! but this is Huge let down - disappointment - they know this a known problem and they should make a recall and fix all Yaris!!!
I will appreciate any information on this if there is a ongoing action going on against toyota.
THANKS - I will write about my "fix" and will try to get information on what exactly they replaced.
Did you or they install a "cabin air filter" in the slot behind the glove box? If not, then it will just keep occurring, as that filter is key to prevent airborne debris from entering and plugging up the airbox.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
^^^^^^^^^^ = ?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
UpLateAgain

Drives: 2008 Yaris automatic
I have the same problem with my Yaris..... exact same symptoms.... left turn produces water in passenger compartment with the noise of water flowing through the heater/ AC fan. It happens either when I run the air conditioner or after/ during a rainfall. The dealer told me it was a plugged drain tube and jacked up the car to show me where to blow it out. We did. It didn't help. My carpeting is starting to smell moldy and will probably have to be replaced. The car is a 2008, with 40k miles on it.... just enough to be off warranty.

So far the dealer doesn't really have an answer for me, and has told me it is essentially a design flaw. They are contacting Toyota and asking for advice, but i don't hold out a lot of hope.

I have owned a number of Toyotas, and always been tickled pink with them. This is turning into a major disappointment.
UpLateAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Steve Nelson
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Tpyota Yaris Hatchback
Where is the drain tube?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpLateAgain View Post
I have the same problem with my Yaris..... exact same symptoms.... left turn produces water in passenger compartment with the noise of water flowing through the heater/ AC fan. It happens either when I run the air conditioner or after/ during a rainfall. The dealer told me it was a plugged drain tube and jacked up the car to show me where to blow it out. We did. It didn't help. My carpeting is starting to smell moldy and will probably have to be replaced. The car is a 2008, with 40k miles on it.... just enough to be off warranty.

So far the dealer doesn't really have an answer for me, and has told me it is essentially a design flaw. They are contacting Toyota and asking for advice, but i don't hold out a lot of hope.

I have owned a number of Toyotas, and always been tickled pink with them. This is turning into a major disappointment.
And where might this elusive drain tube be? I'd like to see if I can roto-rooter it myself with a pipe cleaner or some cable from an old bike brake.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Don't ever blow out the tube (unless you do so from inside of the airbox), as you just push the material back up into the airbox, where it will clog the tube again. If you ran without a cabin filter for a while, there could be a lot of stuff in the airbox, so clearing the tube once will not be a permanent solution anyway.

Install a cabin filter, if you don't already have one. To really clean the system out, the bottom of the airbox needs to come off. That requires some significant disassembly of the dash, but it would be worth it if it has the stink or continues to back-up.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The easiest place to get at it is from inside of the car, on the passenger side foot well. If you look under the top left corner of the carpet there (right by the center console) you'll see the rubber hose going into the floor. You can easily pull out the grommet and the end of the hose is right there. Just have a pan or bucket ready, so you don't make a mess of the carpet.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Rick Flynn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
That Danged Leak

My 07 Yaris has been leaking for a few weeks on the passenger side--just like the rest of you.

It has 60K miles so no warranty.

A mechanic checked the drainage hose for AC condensation and it was fine, yet it still leaks, especially when I take a left turn.

Not every day, not when hot, not when cold, and not in a direct response to using the AC (yet it is summer so I often use it).

Not sure what to check next.

Any guesses?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #10
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Flynn View Post
My 07 Yaris has been leaking for a few weeks on the passenger side--just like the rest of you.

It has 60K miles so no warranty.

A mechanic checked the drainage hose for AC condensation and it was fine, yet it still leaks, especially when I take a left turn.

Not every day, not when hot, not when cold, and not in a direct response to using the AC (yet it is summer so I often use it).

Not sure what to check next.

Any guesses?

Thanks,

Rick
Double check the condensate drain. If you're getting the left turn sloshing, then the drain is plugged and your air box is full of water.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Rick Flynn

Ok. That's sounds easy enough, except that I don't know what that is nor do I know where that is.

Not too handy!

Thanks!

Rick
Old 09-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok. That's sounds easy enough, except that I don't know what that is nor do I know where that is.

Not too handy!

Thanks!

Rick
Check out this post for a pics of where the tube is located. It is accessible from inside on the passenger foot well. If you try to clear it just have a pan or bucket under it to catch the nasty water that comes out.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
Rick Flynn

That was very thoughtful and, yes, that tube was actually okay, but it's tank above that needs cleaning, and that's tricky. By the way, the dealer admits it's a design problem, but they're not taking responsibility for it. Odd, that Toyota would let something like this pass without fixing it.

Thank you!

Rick
Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
tenaz

Drives: 2007
Arrow Air Conditioner Noise & Leak

To all :
I found this link : http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f88fe/0
I put my notes as I did on this forum.
U.S Yaris 2006 -? has this A/C issue believe me is a design problem.
At least I found 3 people with the same issue I had.
For Toyota is easy to say I take a complaint and we look into and done nothing.
For further assistance contact http://www.consumerlawcenter.com/
Regards

Tenaz

Last edited by tenaz; 10-03-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: correction
tenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Rick Flynn

Fixed it

Quote:
That was very thoughtful and, yes, that tube was actually okay, but it's tank above that needs cleaning, and that's tricky. By the way, the dealer admits it's a design problem, but they're not taking responsibility for it. Odd, that Toyota would let something like this pass without fixing it.

Thank you!

Rick

The tank did not drain when my mechanic checked the hose and the local Toyota dealer (Fremont CA) wanted 80-150 to diagnose the problem which I'd already had diagnosed. Wondering what to do, I finally had a moment of inspiration--not bad for a clutz like me--and I thought, "Why not remove the drain hose and stick a clothes hanger up the hole"? Well, it worked. Water poured out of the tank, and the leak has not returned for two months.

R
Old 11-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ that has been stated several times already in this thread..
Old 11-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
tenaz

Drives: 2007
Arrow Air Conditioner Noise & Leak?

To avoid water leak in the passenger side you need to do the following:

1st thing you need to do is cleaning the A/C drain located in the passenger side botton left side.
2nd you can't put anything on the glove compartment.
After the A/C drain is cleaned.

Then You can stil use the a/c in circulation mode.How ever you glove compartment can't be use.

Hope this help for now

Tenaz
tenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenaz View Post
To avoid water leak in the passenger side you need to do the following:

1st thing you need to do is cleaning the A/C drain located in the passenger side botton left side.
2nd you can't put anything on the glove compartment.
After the A/C drain is cleaned.

Then You can stil use the a/c in circulation mode.How ever you glove compartment can't be use.

Hope this help for now

Tenaz
As long as you have a cabin filter installed, putting things in the glove box is a non issue.