Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Are you interested in Whiteline Adjustable Sway bars
Yes and I'm from North America 34 82.93%
Yes and I'm from Australia/New Zealand 2 4.88%
Yes and I'm from Asia 1 2.44%
Yes and I'm from Europe 1 2.44%
Yes and you didn't like my Area (please pm me) 3 7.32%
Yes but only if they make a 2NZ-FE fitment bar 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Don't forget the fundamental truth: a stiffer front bar increases understeer.

No need for a front bar that can be adjusted stiffer unless you have an overly stiff rear bar and want to fine-tune the balance with the front.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
RaptorRacing

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to RaptorRacing
Folks,

sorry for the lack of responding, just been tied up with some other work. Will probably have more info on monday as I'm waiting for my US Sales rep to get back to the office on Monday and get me the email address/phone number of the engineer that will be working with me on this.

TIA for your patience!!
RaptorRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #21
RaptorRacing

Folks;

sorry about the delay...I've been tied up for the last few weeks. Whiteline already has a non adjustable bar for the rear of the Yaris so I got them to take a picture of how they are mounting it.

To make this adjustable we would convert the ends to a vertical blade, and the link would be a pin top and eyelit lower.

Here are the pix:

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #22
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
OOooooh me want.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #23
Loren
What?

That's much less elegant than the TRD design. It's also exactly the same setup we put on my friend's Sentra. Not pretty, but effective.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #24
RaptorRacing

Does anyone have a picture of the TRD Bar on their car??
Old 12-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #25
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
cali have u put on your front sway bar yet?
No, I won't do that until I'm at the track and have too much oversteer, which I rather doubt is going to happen. Not selling it either, though.

Good job Raptor -- looks good and functional so far.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #26
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Wouldnt this be more effective than the trd swaybar. It looks like it allows for the torsion bar to twist more. As opposed to the trd one that just stiffins it up more. Or perhaps they could be used together? Or would that be overkill
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #27
Loren
What?

The whole point of either the TRD or the Whiteline design IS to make the rear torsion bar resist flex more. If they both use the same bar diameter, then they're going to both give similar results. They're about the same shape with about the same leverage points. The TRD bar may actually react quicker because it's not mounted in rubber (poly, whatever) bushings.

Here's a tip for you guys: Don't buy parts just for the sake of buying them. Buy parts to solve problems. The Yaris is a FWD car, like most FWD cars, it has the tendency to understeer and/or spin the inside front wheel when you try to accelerate through a turn. This is the problem you're trying to address with a rear bar. If you go too far with that, then you end up with a car that goes tail out in a turn, which is NOT something you want on a street car.

The TRD bar does a pretty good job of mitigating much of the understeer in a Yaris. While you probably COULD install both the TRD and the Whiteline bars at the same time, yes, it would be severe overkill. The car wouldn't understeer... but it would be dangerously tail-happy.

If anyone feels they need more rear bar than a TRD bar, they'd do better to duplicate that design with a slightly fatter bar (like 1-2mm larger diameter). Personally, I just opted for stiffer rear springs. It was a lot easier to do.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
The TRD is a better design, and if bar size is equal will be more effective. The arms of the bar are longer as well, essentially making the bar softer. With sticky tires and stiff springs I could easily see the endlink mounts getting bent. Plus they are mounted via a single bolt.

Like Loren said, if you need more rotation than the TRD bar, a better bet is stiffer rear springs.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
RaptorRacing

FYI...for those subscribed to this thread the bars are done...http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...d=1#post346366
Old 12-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #30
spookz
JDM yO!

Drives: '09 3dr. 5-spd
I got one of these Whiteline adjustable rear sway bars installed yesterday. The car handles much better. It feels more planted on the ground when going around corners. I currently have it on the softer setting..

In my little sister's own words: "The car feels like it's stuck to the ground".

Installed.

The design is quite ugly, but it does the job! It's the cheapest rear sway bar available (to people Down Under), and being adjustable is also a bonus! :P

spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
It's the cheapest rear sway bar available (to people Down Under)
How much was it, including shipping?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #32
spookz
JDM yO!

I didn't need to pay for shipping, I picked it up directly from Whiteline. It was AU$285. The Ultra-Racing goes for 339 down here directly from Ultra-Racing Australia..

Old 12-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #33
RaptorRacing

I've had mine on since about August and absolutely LOVE it.

For those who voted and seemed serious I'd love to know how come you decided not to purchase. BELIEVE me when I say the only reason I want to know is to perhaps improve how I market things in the future. The bars are already paid for and if I'm stuck with them forever I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Ideally I should have collected deposits before venturing into this market but the feedback seemed good so decided to just dive in. I did this with Whiteline and new part numbers for Supra's but I was confident they would sell and they have...BIG time.

I'm pretty new to the Yaris scene; I wish I was able to do more but Supra projects have been killing me lately
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #34
Loren
What?

For better marketing: A good website with quality photos of the product both loose and installed and thorough details. A lot of people won't take you seriously from just forum posts, a website makes you seem more legit. Plus you're likely to reach a larger market with a properly optimized website.

Regarding the product itself, I'd consider making it 3-position adjustable... for the cost of drilling two additional holes, it makes your product more versatile.

Another thing I'd suggest, maybe as an option, as it will add some cost and will probably introduce a little bit of "rattle and clunk" that a lot of people wouldn't like, would be a special end link option that would wrap around both sides of the bar for "double-shear" mounting and use a quick-release pin to secure it. This allows the bar to be adjustable on-the-fly easily about as quickly as making a shock adjustment, which would be awesome!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
RaptorRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
For better marketing: A good website with quality photos of the product both loose and installed and thorough details. A lot of people won't take you seriously from just forum posts, a website makes you seem more legit. Plus you're likely to reach a larger market with a properly optimized website.

Regarding the product itself, I'd consider making it 3-position adjustable... for the cost of drilling two additional holes, it makes your product more versatile.

Another thing I'd suggest, maybe as an option, as it will add some cost and will probably introduce a little bit of "rattle and clunk" that a lot of people wouldn't like, would be a special end link option that would wrap around both sides of the bar for "double-shear" mounting and use a quick-release pin to secure it. This allows the bar to be adjustable on-the-fly easily about as quickly as making a shock adjustment, which would be awesome!
I 100% with you on the website thing...NOT disputing that what so ever and not here to make excuses and the lack of a site. My main concern was with the number of people who voted knowing I didn't have a web site. I usually assume 75% of people that vote will not purchase the product they are voting on due to: change of heart; lack of funds and the reason you are mentioning (lack of site/confidence in the seller). I've been in business for 5 years and have never seen a 100% drop out rate I'm just talking out loud here as ideally this was a project I should have left on the back burner till I had the time jump into a different market.

As for the other suggestions; while they are great its just not feasible right now to change anything. I'll have to see how things go after the site goes up and I add these to it. The good thing is Whiteline is ALWAYS open to suggestion and willing to make any changes but they won't take the time to make the changes if someone doesn't step up and order a minimum quantity to justify the work.

I appreciate your time and input....cheers.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #36
spookz
JDM yO!

Yeah, the sway bar is awesome! The difference is great with stock shocks and NF drop springs. I can only imagine that the difference will be even greater with some better (stiffer) shocks.