Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #37
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
Ok, well I'll work on this again in a couple days. My hands are still sore/cramped up from the previous attempt to install this. I just came back from autozone and got a 1/2" 12mm deep socket which I was lacking during the installation. This will make things 1.5 million times faster! I was able to remove/install this under an hour and I now know this installation like the back of my hand. Should be easy sailin'

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #38
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
The Yaris Shop Manual states that you should use a new one. However I reused my original gasket with no problems.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #39
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
From my own experience, either way is fine
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #40
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
The quality and welds on that header make me want to punch a baby.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #41
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya_TRD. View Post
The quality and welds on that header make me want to punch a baby.
my newborn says come try it bitch
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #42
eii
Rides canyon walls

I tried putting on the stock exhaust pipe gasket on. The noise isnt so annoying now. I can only hear it when I punch the gas a little. I also smell some burning from the engine. Still a possible leak? I tried filling it with water to check for leaks, but there wasnt any. I'll try again to re-torque to make sure the gasket is fitting ok. Also the noise only happens when I slightly hit the gas. It just sounds like the normal engine sound but louder. When cruising or WOT you cant hear the noise. Maybe it'll go away after driving for a while so the ECU learns the new air flow.

Also the weld on the bung is by a friend, so just in case thats whats making you punch a baby. .

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
Old 05-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #43
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
The welds on everything makes me want to punch a baby. Not just the o2 bung. I would rather keep my car stock than run that.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #44
eii
Rides canyon walls

I probably will put it back to stock for the 3rd time. I just got CEL and the smell dont seem right. I'm pretty sure theres a leak. Severous is probably right about the mating surface not being flat as I cant find any leaks in the welds or probably something wrong with the gasket. Plus with the cel and the low end torque I gained from the nst pulley is gone which was really nice I'd rather have stock back on. I guess its time to work on my cosmetics.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #45
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
The welds are bad on ALL those headers. They should have smoothed them out before shipping, but I am sure that would have drove the cost up a bunch. And I couldn't use the stock A/F sensor, since they cross threaded the hell out of it. Anyone else have that issue? That is when I had some serious trouble with mine, and then trouble with the plugs, then the battery, and the list went on for awhile. Now, my car is fully operational, but I was tinkering with it yesterday, and noticed a hose going from where the exhaust cams/ valves are to the intake manifold. When disconnected, the car barely ran, and wouldn't idle at all. What is THAT about? Is there a possible power increase in waiting by replacing that rubber cr@p with a larger, sturdier pipe? Or maybe finding a way to push more air through there or something? I am WAY syked about it, and am going to tinker with it tonight with my neighbor, and see if there are any engine improvements waiting to happen. As we all know, every pony counts when it's stock 105HP and 2,300 lbs, right?
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #46
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
hope everything works out for you eii!
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #47
eric81

Eii-
Did you get the private message I sent you? If so, did it work? If not, should I just post it publicly here so everyone can read it? Let me know please. Thanks.

Also, what is the G H thing about?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #48
eii
Rides canyon walls

I freakin lost one of the 12mm nuts on the back (the ones on the ends) of the header in the engine bay and for the life of me cannot find it. Grr......

Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #49
eric81

Had the same problem... there is a section of frame that goes from middle of car to right next to the tranny. My nut dropped into it and rolled back almost a foot. It was hard to reach, but that's where it was. Try there.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #50
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
Had the same problem... there is a section of frame that goes from middle of car to right next to the tranny. My nut dropped into it and rolled back almost a foot. It was hard to reach, but that's where it was. Try there.
Lol yeah! Thats exactly where it was. I was just underneath my car burshing my hand against that frame hoping I'd finding. I had completely lost all hope after 3 hours trying to find it. Then bam! I felt something move when I brushed my hand over it and it was it!

Well eric, I still got CEL and dont have an OBDII reader so I'm not sure whats up. That burning smell was some stock electrical tape that was hanging and hitting the engine block btw!

Old 05-08-2009, 01:09 AM   #51
eric81

Try resetting the engine again... then make sure you have the right A/F sensor in the header, and that it is hooked up properly. I bought a replacement, but it was an O2 sensor, and it messed up my plugs and battery. Other than that, go to Auto Zone, Chucks, or a tuner, and ask them to read your CEL for free (most will, especially if you explain that you're tuning a rare car) and see what it says. I had mine read at 2 different places. I got the message Engine Heater Coil, or something like that, and that was the stupid A/F sensor. Did you crank the hack out of it when you put it in? Hope these tips work... and good luck.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 AM   #52
eii
Rides canyon walls

Ok so I wanted more power from my lil yaris so I decided wtf, I'm going to put this header back on. Success! I unplugged the battery before running the car with the header and made sure the gaskets were on properly. I've been running it for a couple days (really really hard at some points) and have not gotten a CEL. Heres a sound clip of it with my other mods (in my signature).

Direct Link: http://www.inimi.org/downloads/eiiexhaust.avi
YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgQiuWupPgw

So I hang out with a lot of Honda folk, DAs, DBs, EGs, EKs, etc to the far as you can see. I've let them drive my car before the headers with my other mods and they were impressed with the "pickup" my car had. A major compliment considering I have to take so much from them being honda fanatics and me owning a Yaris xD. I put these headers in and they love the sound and when they tried driving it this time the first words that came to their minds was "TORQUE-Y!"

I gained a lot of torque through out the rpm range, waaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I had expect. The sound is pretty nuts to if you havent checked out the sound clip. Wow, just wow...

Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 AM   #53
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
So your $69.00 header is all good now .
did you replace any of the gaskets

anyway congrates on getting it sorted
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 AM   #54
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
So your $69.00 header is all good now .
did you replace any of the gaskets

anyway congrates on getting it sorted
I'm using stock gaskets. I just have a feeling the stock gasket at the collector doesnt work 100% on the aftermarket header, well for this ebay one that is. The gasket is working though, I had it without the gasket on the aftermarket header and it just sounded terrible. I mean its possible that its normal for the engine to be this loud with an aftermarket header. I need to get with one of the members here in socal who has or has had a header and see if they are experience the same noise.