Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #919
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Yes, heat soak becomes a factor with a hot start on a really hot day, but the tubing on the long runners is really thin with lots of surface area for air to flow over and to dissipate the heat when the car is moving.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #920
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
why not wrap it in heat reflective tape or polish it to reflect heat.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #921
tooter
play every day

I don't think heatsoak is enough of an issue to bother about once the car is in motion. However, polishing just for the bling of it would be neato.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 AM   #922
jetblast

Drives: Gen 1 XB
How about one of the new Plasti-Dip colors, topped off with their Metalizer for a bit of bling. This would insulate too....and easy to peel off if the results sucked. :)
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #923
tooter
play every day

I like black...
...so I might see what it looks like with a cheap rattlecan coat of high heat BBQ.
If it doesn't look good, it can easily be removed.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #924
tooter
play every day

Did back to back stock manifold and tooter dyno runs today with the modified BLOX intake.
Tooter is blue, and stock is red.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #925
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Awesome to see some gains!!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #926
tooter
play every day

It was a more accurate comparison to dyno both on the same day. We did 3 runs of each and took the best run from each manifold. Both horsepowers track really close with a slight tooter edge at about 5,500. The stock manifold torque curve is a lot smoother and more consistent than the tooter at wide open throttle, although in regular partial throttle driving the difference is too small to detect.

We discovered that the 2012 Yaris gives off a lot of radio frequency interference that was interfering with the dyno hardware, and found that grounding the car with battery jumper cables was the solution.

So if any of you have 2012's... ground them when you run them on a dyno.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #927
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ Grounding kit might be a good mod on the 2012.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #928
tooter
play every day

Internal component to chassis grounding wasn't the problem, it was grounding the whole car that resolved the issue.

We connected battery jumper cables to the exhaust pipe spring bolts where the axle back connects, and then clamped them onto steel bolts that were embedded in the concrete floor... and everything worked just fine.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #929
jetblast

Drives: Gen 1 XB
Just can't get enough of that intake pic. I have rods and pistons to get....must stay focused.
The interference is your car's way of broadcasting to others to get the hell outta the way, one bad Yaris comin' through!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #930
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
This dyno was with the 1ZZ TB, yes?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #931
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
This dyno was with the 1ZZ TB, yes?
No. These runs were done with just the bone stock 1NZ throttlebody and ECU, no engine tuning, and regular 87 octane gas. I did refine the intake flow eliminating the 90 degree bend by shortening the effective length of the air filter.

Doing all the runs at the same time yielded an accurate apples to apples comparison of the two manifolds. Absolutely nothing was done either to dinimish the performance of the stock manifold or to enhance the tooter. The two compared runs were the best ones from each group of three. Exactly the same intake was used on both sets of runs so that the only difference was the manifolds themselves. while at wide open throttle, the tooter gives up a little bit of torque to gain a little bit of horsepower, under regular driving conditions the difference is too slight to notice. I believe that it would really shine in a forced induction setup.

Overall, I'm pleased with the results.
After a couple of thousand miles of everyday driving with the tooter, it performs very well and continues to yield 2 mpg better mileage under real world everyday driving conditions over the stock manifold. After the dyno runs, I topped off the tank and drove around running errands for the rest of the day with the stock manifold, and watched the computer mileage average drop consistent with the mileage average I was getting before installing the tooter. I had no control over this, as it was just plain dumb luck. The two manifold designs are so completely different from each other, you never know what's going to happen.

This all was just a wild crapshoot by a total amateur.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #932
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblast View Post
Just can't get enough of that intake pic.
Neither can I...
You know, it's really strange that the whole inspiration for this project began with aesthetic appeal. The unique flowing form of the manifold was so beautiful like a formula one racing exhaust I wanted to put it on my Yaris.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #933
tooter
play every day

Finally there's one completely finished tooter intake manifold offered for sale. It includes:

1. One clean, welded, bead blasted, Corolla 1.8 intake manifold modified to fit a 1.5 Yaris.
2. One OEM O ring intake manifold gasket
3. One matching throttle body adaptor that fits botha 1NZ FE 48mm or 1ZZ 51mm throttle body
4. One OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket
5. Three throttle body adaptor allen head bolts

$450 includes free shipping

Also offered for sale is a tooter do it yourself build your own intake manifold kit where you supply the junkyard Corolla manifold. It consists of:

1. one tooter intake manifold adaptor flange
2. one throttle body adaptor
3. three allen head throttle body adaptor bolts
4. one OEM flat throttle body adaptor gasket

$265 includes free shipping

Contact info:

PM tooter here.

Or email:
greggabi@verizon.net

Or call:
310-455-3340
Ask for Greg

It's also up for sale on Ebay.

Last edited by tooter; 12-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #934
tooter
play every day

That thread on intakes and gas mileage got me to thinking if the stock air box would be able to fit a tooter intake manifold, so I had a go at it...

To make the stock air box fit, I simply cut the flexible rubber coupling back to the first bump, screw clamped it onto the throttle body and installed the air box lid. The rubber coupling is fully compressed while putting on the lid, but it relaxes some when it's in position to engage the two metal clips. The bumped area that now fits over the point of attachment on the air box lid is smaller than the part that was cut off and fits on really tight. A little Armorall really helped it to slide on.

The rubber coupling already has an offset molded into it at the throttle body so I rotated it slightly to point more towards the air box. It fits fine with no stretching or kinking.

I'm going to experiment driving it around for a few fillups under cold weather conditions and check the gas mileage just to see if there is any difference compared to the SRI.

So now the manifold not only uses the stock intake manifold gasket, all of the stock attaching hardware, and all of the stock throttle body mounting hardware, it also works with the stock air box making it a true "bolt on" accessory that almost looks like it came that way from the factory.

Last edited by tooter; 12-26-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #935
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
When can I start having your babies?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #936
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
When can I start having your babies?
Sorry, Cranky... I'm already a Grandpa.

My goal was to make a bolt on manifold that could easily be installed with a minimum of time and effort while utilizing all of the existing hardware and peripheries... and I did it.