Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
Something doesn't seems right

Seems like a DOHC motor with variable valve timing,would rev higher,and make more power than the yaris does. I'm thinkin it should be in the 140hp range, 7-8k pm redline. So whats up? What is holding this little motor back? Has toyota just choked it up via tq managment and rev limiters and conservitive timing? Is there much chance of a handheld programer in the future? Somthing like what cobb is to subaru,or sct and diablo is to domestics?
Old 06-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #2
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
econobox man. econobox.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
the motor is suitable for the econobox. also the valves are really small which makes it hard for the engine to get more air. and just because its a dohc vvti doesn't mean is gonna be a bmw/honda engine-meaning a refined n/a, well crafted machine. which sucks cuz that would be awesome...
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post
econobox man. econobox.
Tell that to the civic comunity

Where there is a will(and a big enough bank account)there is a way.

So is there any "JDM" heads that will bolt on,or a source for bigger valves anything like that? Hows the aftermarket for these in Japan?

I really hope they come out with some type of affordable engine reflash device or sombody starts reflashing ecus and selling em.
Thats the number 1 thing needed to start making power. I knew what I was getting into but it seems there should be a strong aftermarket eventualy...I hope
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #5
acdaazn

Drives: Toyota
Very unlikely even from the JDM aftermarket support. Yaris' (aka Vitz) pinacle in Japan is the Vitz cup, and they race with only TRD-JP parts and sometimes different branded rims. If you ever look at their specs for these "race cars", they are close to stock with absolutely no "engine" mods. If the top cars doesn't even get crazy mods, it's unlikely you will find much of anything.

You best bet if you are really truely a diehard fan, import a Yaris TS with 1.8 Dual VVTi.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 AM   #6
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdaazn View Post
Very unlikely even from the JDM aftermarket support. Yaris' (aka Vitz) pinacle in Japan is the Vitz cup, and they race with only TRD-JP parts and sometimes different branded rims. If you ever look at their specs for these "race cars", they are close to stock with absolutely no "engine" mods. If the top cars doesn't even get crazy mods, it's unlikely you will find much of anything.

You best bet if you are really truely a diehard fan, import a Yaris TS with 1.8 Dual VVTi.
Its really not a big deal,when I bought the car I knew there was a good chance the aftermarket would never become much. I bought it for mpg mostly. Still a fun car,I'm gonna auto X the piss out of it.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
considering that the old 1.6litres 4afe and 1.5 3e/5efe were producing less than a 95hp at the crankshaft....i think the 1nzfe is quite good....

if you take the Aveo its 1.6l engine produce 103hp and 107lbs

3hp less an 1lbs more than a 1.5 toyota...

an egine that is coparble to the 1nzfe is the honda fit

1.5 109hp 105lbs

so the 1nzfe is not that bad

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #8
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead6T5 View Post
Seems like a DOHC motor with variable valve timing,would rev higher,and make more power than the yaris does. I'm thinkin it should be in the 140hp range, 7-8k pm redline. So whats up? What is holding this little motor back? Has toyota just choked it up via tq managment and rev limiters and conservitive timing? Is there much chance of a handheld programer in the future? Somthing like what cobb is to subaru,or sct and diablo is to domestics?
Name 1 1.5 that gets 35-40 mpg & has 140hp. Guys this is a fuel economy car! If you want more power start with a better platform. I am no saying you cannot get more power out of it. But as I have notice most owners here are frugal. Example we have 3429 members & 2 have turbos & 1 has a supercharger kit.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
there is certainly a chance...but it will be a flash like hptuners or sct... i'll keep ya updated
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Its really not a big deal,when I bought the car I knew there was a good chance the aftermarket would never become much. I bought it for mpg mostly. Still a fun car,I'm gonna auto X the piss out of it.
This is exactly why this motor was not built for high revs or super performance. 99% of the people who buy these cars want MPG and long term reliability. Those of us here on these forums who are after more power are a very small sector of the overall Yaris community.

I don't really see any big power upgrades in the future for the n/a.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
and also 90% of driver does not like high rev engines...

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
This is exactly why this motor was not built for high revs or super performance. 99% of the people who buy these cars want MPG and long term reliability. Those of us here on these forums who are after more power are a very small sector of the overall Yaris community.

I don't really see any big power upgrades in the future for the n/a.
this car with 140whp would be plenty quick for the weight and could centainly be had with mild fabrication and a decent machinist... don't need big power in a vehicle like this. just need traction and a diet
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
as an econobox I would assume the ECU is the big bottle neck in performance. considering its 4 valves per cylinder that should be plenty effective intake area.
step up the fuel injectors and ecu to a standalone and I bet youll be well over 120hp, not cheaply and obviously fuel consumption will suffer.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Motorhead6T5

Well I ordered a K&N filter for the yaris,I guess that will be my only engine performance mod till/if a handheld tuner comes out lol. The stock a/f is so lean at wot I don't even want to mess with CAIs till there is a tuner out .
Old 06-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #15
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....You want more power buy a turbo. A few people on here are talking about how this is an econbox. That it is. But wasn't the civic and econobox too when 1st launched. The Yaris is far from a sports car. But just because It's an econobox doesn't mean that It can't be made to perfom like sports car. That's what everone said about the Civic. Look at them now you have Civics running 10's consistently. Give It time the aftermarket will catch up. At this point though turbo seems like It's the only way to go.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
paradigm
o.O

Drives: 8
Versions of the civic were econo sure.. but there is definitely no "type r" for the yaris. Hell, not even an si.
paradigm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.....You want more power buy a turbo. A few people on here are talking about how this is an econbox. That it is. But wasn't the civic and econobox too when 1st launched. The Yaris is far from a sports car. But just because It's an econobox doesn't mean that It can't be made to perfom like sports car. That's what everone said about the Civic. Look at them now you have Civics running 10's consistently. Give It time the aftermarket will catch up. At this point though turbo seems like It's the only way to go.
I tell myself I don't need a turbo for this car as I already built a blown chevelle for going fast in a strait line,but I have a feeling a turbo might be on this car sooner rather than later. It would be too damn fun,and surprise a lot of higher end cars. And then there is the BOV sound between shifts
Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #18
Motorhead6T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
Versions of the civic were econo sure.. but there is definitely no "type r" for the yaris. Hell, not even an si.
Not in the US at least.