Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #1
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
Dealership filled engine with too much oil...

So, I purchased my Yaris on August 16th with 6500 miles. It's almost 2 months later and I have about 8600 on the car. The oil supposedly was changed before I drove it off the lot with Castrol Syntex conventional oil and wasn't due for a change until 11,500 miles, but it gets pretty cold here in KC from now on going into the winter, so yesterday afternoon I decided to go ahead and change my oil/filter with 4 quarts of synthetic oil. Upon checking the oil level, I noticed that the dipstick was saturated with dark brown oil nearly 1.5" above the max-fill oil marking!!! I'm guessing that one of the techs at the Toyota dealership wasn't careful enough when he or she filled the engine with oil. Anyway, I jacked up the driver's side of the car and let the oil reservoir drain thoroughly and replaced the filter. I then took it for a spin and the car unsurprisingly performs sooo much better. The engine runs much smoother and quieter than before. Acceleration is much easier and the car is even more fun to drive.

I think I will contact the dealership to let them know about my recent experience. I'm not expecting anything from them, as no damage (to my knowledge) has occurred as a result. Or is there something that I should do about it?
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote