Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
carlitoselcool

Drives: Black Yaris 3 door Hatch
how to eliminate tire to fender gap

guys i want to drop my yaris so that the tire tucks in to the fender, how can i do this? tools or parts? thanks

carlitoselcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
coilovers will get you the most drop (besides air suspension of course), but you can adjust the height as well. and for a flush look you can put on rear hub spacers to flush the wheel with the side of the car.
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
^^ agreed.. coilovers all the way.. im using Megan Race coilovers on mine, currently cant attach photos right now cuz im at work, but here is the link to a picture. mine is the black hatch with the red rota rims.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...p?t=51&page=65

im only halfway point on the coilover. i could easily drop another 2 inches if not more.. my side skirts already scrap some speed bumps. i gotta take them slow..
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
PumpkinSteve

Drives: Yaris SR 1.8
If you put a spacer on the back wheels is there still a decent amount of thread on the wheels studs to screw the nuts on? I don't want my wheels falling off.
PumpkinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
ilikerice

this all depends on what type of wheel you have and how many inches/millimeters you are getting as a spacer...

get some open nut lug nuts and tighten them down. but some paint or mark the thread on the inside of one of your lug nut threads where it touches the stud. then take it off and see how much thread you got left..
Old 02-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinSteve View Post
If you put a spacer on the back wheels is there still a decent amount of thread on the wheels studs to screw the nuts on? I don't want my wheels falling off.
Hub spacers go behind the assembly making it not effect your threading at all.

If you use wheel spacers, the largest I would go without extended lugs is 7mm. 5mm if you really want to play it safe. Make sure to torque the lug nuts down to proper specs and to check them every week or so.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
carlitoselcool

Well hello guys im back and now with my yaris lowered here are some pictures i am super happy. should i drop more in the back? opinions thanks. ohh and the method of lowering the car is stock factory springs but being cut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00479.jpg (261.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00507.jpg (158.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00503.jpg (149.1 KB, 261 views)
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
only downside on coilover is they rust like hell....i guess greasing is frequently might help.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
ilikerice

really? cut your springs? why may i ask?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitoselcool View Post
Well hello guys im back and now with my yaris lowered here are some pictures i am super happy. should i drop more in the back? opinions thanks. ohh and the method of lowering the car is stock factory springs but being cut
How's the ride with cut springs? ...and how many coils did you cut?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #11
ev_yaris_s

Drives: Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
How's the ride with cut springs? ...and how many coils did you cut?
I dont image any comfy, prolly bouncy or very stiff
ev_yaris_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
Cut springs are really BAD! They don't fit the spring pockets right and can fall out. On top of screwing up the overall spring rate and creating a very stiff ride.
Do yourself and yaris a favor and get the drop you want using the proper springs.

As far as using regular wheel spacers... Be sure to get the right length wheel studs and make sure the spacers are hub centric to avoid vibrations.
I prefer the hub spacers that bring the hub and brake assembly out as a whole so you don't have to mess with the wheel studs.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
carlitoselcool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bB2NER View Post
Cut springs are really BAD! They don't fit the spring pockets right and can fall out. On top of screwing up the overall spring rate and creating a very stiff ride.
Do yourself and yaris a favor and get the drop you want using the proper springs.

As far as using regular wheel spacers... Be sure to get the right length wheel studs and make sure the spacers are hub centric to avoid vibrations.
I prefer the hub spacers that bring the hub and brake assembly out as a whole so you don't have to mess with the wheel studs.
For all the skeptical people, I have had several cars with cut springs and I haven't encounter any problem, the ride quality is very nice, just a little more bouncy but it feels stiff and nice for turning, the lowering springs that I could buy will not give me this nice 4 inch drop, so I decided to once again cut the springs, I had a mustang , scion xa and now a yaris on cut springs and I love each of these car's handling and suspension. My opinion, don't be scared of cutting springs ( they are just springs, nothing high tech involved with springs) save money and get your own customize height that you want to achieve, of course if you have the $1000 go for the coillovers. Hope this post clarifies, let me know if any questions, Also I cut about 3 turns in the front and 2 in the back but I suggest you do it by trial and error to achieve your desired height. Good luck and let me know if I can help you with anything
Old 03-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #14
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
I bet you look funny bouncing on the road. ;)
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I don't understand why everyone thinks cut spring are going to make the car bouncy? Is it just the stereotypical thinking of Honda Civics riding on bump stops? Because your shocks and struts are going to determine that, unless of course you go overboard and are riding the bump stops.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 AM   #16
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
^ Four inches off the front stock springs while maintaining the softness of stock struts is going to be pretty damn close to riding the bumpstops all the fucking time.

There's no way the OP will convince me this is healthier for the car than using proper lowering springs. Cheaper? Maybe, until clicking CV axles and blown struts start showing up. The roads in Miami aren't exactly glass smooth.

But to each his own.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #17
bB2NER
My Box and Her Egg

Drives: 05' Scion xB / 08' Yaris 3dr
On some cars they have springs that narrow down and if you cut them the springs do not fit where they are suppossed to go.
Just because you can cut your springs doesn't make it safe or right.
Your car, do what you want if you can't afford to do it right.
It's amazing how much ghetto stuff people will do to their cars in order to save a few bucks.
bB2NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bB2NER View Post
On some cars they have springs that narrow down and if you cut them the springs do not fit where they are suppossed to go.
Just because you can cut your springs doesn't make it safe or right.
Your car, do what you want if you can't afford to do it right.
It's amazing how much ghetto stuff people will do to their cars in order to save a few bucks.
haha.. this goes back to when i used pvc piping on my crx to make a cold air intake.. my dad walks up and says "good old back yard hot rodin' at its best." then laughed at me.. btw that was back in 99 and i was only 16... ahhahah