Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Shade tree mechanic tip #523: Carboard boxes make great creepers!

My TRD rear sway bar arrived yesterday. It also happened to arrive with a nice torrential downpour. No installing it after work :(

This morning it was nice, warm, and sunny but the ground was soaking wet. In a McGuyver moment I ripped open the box the rear sway came in and laid it underneath the back of the car. BAM, perfect creeper/working area.

Sway bar install took all of 15 minutes, and that is with no jacking up the car or removing the rear tires. The longest part of the install was finding all the tools I needed :D I'm also a pretty wide dude, and I fit under the car just fine.

Does that mean you shouldn't jack up the back of the car and remove the rear wheels when you install yours? No, do it if you have time, it would make the whole operation a lot easier. I couldn't get my torque wrench on the front bolts, so I'll have to go back in and re-torque when I pull my wheels off (hopefully today).
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Better creeper is old election sign. Most of them these days are printed on that corrugated plastic: waterproof, foldable, thin, and (if you are quick) cheap. I have been using the same sign for quite a few years now, volunteered to have a 4'x8' in my yard...

Or you could just go the the local lumber yard and (gasp!) buy a sheet of the stuff.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
lol... I did the same thing, and used my sway bar box to lay on for install, and then I saved it to do the brakes the next day
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear sway install tips