Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
I agree that a stock Yaris isn't a conventional race car but I think that for 1.5L it does put down plenty of hp. Consider you had some cars in the 1980's with ~4.0L V8's putting out somewhere between 115-130hp. So engines have come a long way. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. And also for the record, a stock Yaris will beat a stock Mazda2. And they both have 1.5s and weigh almost exactly the same. And it probably still gets better mileage whilst out getting groceries.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #20
Mazdaspeed419

Drives: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
I agree that a stock Yaris isn't a conventional race car but I think that for 1.5L it does put down plenty of hp. Consider you had some cars in the 1980's with ~4.0L V8's putting out somewhere between 115-130hp. So engines have come a long way. Guess it's all a matter of perspective. And also for the record, a stock Yaris will beat a stock Mazda2. And they both have 1.5s and weigh almost exactly the same. And it probably still gets better mileage whilst out getting groceries.
I wasnt saying anything about toyota vs mazda, or the yaris vs the mazda 2. Specifically, i was calling bs on the speeds of a stock yaris vs a speed 3, and a stock yaris vs an rx7. i work for toyota, i know the yaris's specs vs its competitors. but a yaris and a speed 3 arent in the same class, or buyer market. same with an rx7. I was simply calling bs on someone trying to embellish what their car could do, because frankly, that bothers me. Own up to what your car can and cant do.
Mazdaspeed419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
frownonfun

Hey man, it's all good. Like I said from the get go I don't disagree with your overall point. But to say that the Yaris is "pulling on nothing" is, in many ways, a matter of how you look at it.

And the comparison to the mazda was only to illustrate that it pulls harder than other 1.5Ls. In no way did I think you were turning this into a Mazda versus Toyota thing. I happen to like both anyway. And Nissan for that matter.

Also I still feel the need to defend EPyarisdriver because I'm not sure if he meant times on an autocross track or just lame ass street racing from stop lights. Because if it's at the track I feel if he is a skilled driver and others aren't so much then it's feasible he could be "keeping up" with those cars. Keeping up is also kind of relative too so who knows. Still I don't think you should knock someone for taking pride in their car.

But again... I'm not really arguing with you. And frankly, if you have a mazdaspeed3, I'm more jealous than anything else.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #22
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
mazdaspeed, i too disagree with the OP's statements about who he has beaten; however, it is very obvious with your lengthy response, you were WAY too offended by it. lol. But I think my yaris would beat the cars he listed above. Definitely not the speed 3 though. ;)
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPyarisdriver View Post
mazda 3 speeds. not to mention a rx7.
The last 3-speed Mazda was the '94 323 with base automatic transmission (4-speed OD was optional), and those were slow as shit. So were the SA22C's and FB3S'. What's there to brag about?
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #24
Mazdaspeed419

Quote:
Hey man, it's all good. Like I said from the get go I don't disagree with your overall point. But to say that the Yaris is "pulling on nothing" is, in many ways, a matter of how you look at it.

And the comparison to the mazda was only to illustrate that it pulls harder than other 1.5Ls. In no way did I think you were turning this into a Mazda versus Toyota thing. I happen to like both anyway. And Nissan for that matter.

Also I still feel the need to defend EPyarisdriver because I'm not sure if he meant times on an autocross track or just lame ass street racing from stop lights. Because if it's at the track I feel if he is a skilled driver and others aren't so much then it's feasible he could be "keeping up" with those cars. Keeping up is also kind of relative too so who knows. Still I don't think you should knock someone for taking pride in their car.

But again... I'm not really arguing with you. And frankly, if you have a mazdaspeed3, I'm more jealous than anything else.

I can agree with this, maybe I did come off arrogant, but that is because I deal with ricers all day in my speed 3, and especially when I drive my speed protege. So i am in the habit of using facts to straighten things out instead of just saying no. That wasnt intentional, like i said just out of habit because of the people i have to deal with everyday. For a 1.5, the yaris isnt bad, but there is a difference between taking pride and embellishing. not looking to flame or argue, was just stating facts, as i work for toyota, and i am an avid mazda enthusiast.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

While we're on the topic of springs, which springs are stiffest that still maintain the factory ride height or at the maximum a drop of 3/4 inch?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #26
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdaspeed419 View Post
...there is a difference between taking pride and embellishing.
very true.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
which springs are stiffest that still maintain the factory ride height or at the maximum a drop of 3/4 inch?
Prokits, probably. Tanabe NF210 springs are only 5% stiffer than stock; just enough to account for the 1" drop.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:43 PM   #28
frownonfun

this question is also going to be a little off topic but if the rotary engine, like in the RX-8, puts out more power than a piston engine of similar displacement then why don't more manufacturer's use it instead?

also why does the RX-8 take premium unleaded? i thought one of the advantages of the rotary engine was that it typically runs just as well off a lower octane fuel than the typical engine.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:10 AM   #29
Mazdaspeed419

Quote:
this question is also going to be a little off topic but if the rotary engine, like in the RX-8, puts out more power than a piston engine of similar displacement then why don't more manufacturer's use it instead?

also why does the RX-8 take premium unleaded? i thought one of the advantages of the rotary engine was that it typically runs just as well off a lower octane fuel than the typical engine.

Just my opinion but i believe rotaries arent as popular because its hard to design them to pass emissions. They are more expensive to produce, and they also do not get as good gas mileage as a piston engine of the same displacement. Maintenance is also very important compared to a piston engine. most people dont realize the rotary uses oil, so it must be filled at intervals when its low between oil changes. oil consumption is what doomed the rx7 in the states, people didnt understand that, which was especially bad with the fd twinturbo setup. And rx8s require premium because their a higher compression engine 10:1 i believe. premium helps prevent early detonation.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:11 AM   #30
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
wow I just left an Aston Martin DB9 behind me like it was sitting still! Oh wait, I think it was parked... :D

But seriously, I agree there's always a large dose of wishful thinking when reading posts like these... but this is what drag strips are for, right??

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #31
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Not sure what get's ruined when sport dampers are included??? I'd be more concerned what would be destroyed by reducing suspension travel without increasing damping rates to stop bottoming out.
I wouldn't waste the money on springs and installation labour without also dramatically increasing the handling performance with upgraded dampers. Nothing looks more rediculous than those slammed ricers who are bouncing down the street because they were too poor/cheap to invest in increased damping. I get naucous watching them. The passengers must be on the verge of pucking.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #32
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Prokits, probably. Tanabe NF210 springs are only 5% stiffer than stock; just enough to account for the 1" drop.
Sweet, I'll be looking out for those. :D

With higher damping rate shocks, I'll bet they'll Handle great while still not being vulnerable to speed bumps, potholes and NJ roads in general. :D
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #33
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:

their is a entire gigantic argument about the real displacement of rotary engines. The biggest problems with rotaries though in my eyes is the 1000+ extra degrees Fahrenheit they pump out. That means everything needs to be able to handle those extra temperatures.

Also it is the same reason only Subaru and Porsche use boxer engines. What we have now works why try something new?
Old 04-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #34
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
I believe you Ep. Who gives a shit .
Old 07-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #35
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Don't forget to read through my lil Yaris performance primer ;)

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9451
Good read for newbs, maybe add some brand recommendations.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote