Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Rear-View Mirror Vibrating.

I'm having a problem with my rear-view mirror vibrating too much when driving and even sometimes when idling at a stop. Sometimes, all I see in the mirror are blurs because it vibrates too much.

It's not the original mirror that came with the Yaris. Shortly after purchasing the car, I replaced the stock mirror with a CIPA 36500 mirror with temp. and compass. I hadn't had this problem until recently when I installed this:

http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

It's a mounting base for anything you'd want to mount (cell phone holder, radar detector, GPS, etc.). To install it, you remove the rear-view mirror from the wedge on the windshield, then slide this mounting base onto the wedge. After it's slid onto the wedge, there's a screw you have to tighten to secure it in place (just like the rear-view mirror). Once the mounting base is in place, you slide the rear-view mirror onto the wedge built into the mounting base then tighten the rear-view mirror .

I did all that and the mounting base is solid and doesn't budge at all. However, the rear-view mirror vibrates alot even though it is tightened down very tightly onto the mounting base.

I've Googled a little bit and found others that have the same or similar issues with their rear-view mirrors, but I haven't found a solution yet. I tried putting some 3M double-sided foam tape between the rear-view mirror's mounting "foot" and the mounting base's wedge (that the rear-view mirror's "foot" slides onto), but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can stop this vibration?
Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
this could mean your tires is out of balance....

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My mirror vibrates a lot whenever i have my speakers on loud. What i did i purchase one of those broadway mirrors and covered the entire back of the clip-on mirror with dynomat. Also covered the entire front of the stock mirror with dynomat. Then clipped it on. Its pretty much reduced the vibration 90 percent.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
turn down the volume of your stereo.. lol.. kiddings.. id like to see a video of how bad it is.
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
I have this same problem with my Donnlley mirror I installed. The problem is our keystone for the mirror is slightly different than the standard one that after-market and OEM mirrors use. What I did was used duct tape to make the keystone on the glass thicker, just enough that the mirror is tight sliding on. Then tighten the set screw. Try that and let us know if it works.
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I've got the super wide Broadway mirror on mine and its real nice but it cracked the lower stock ball socket. I JB welded the lower ball and socket but the biggest problem is that the natural frequency is to close to the exciting vibration frequency. To combat this try sticking some mag wheel weights on the back as far forward as possible. Discount tires balances my tires pretty much on demand so that's not a factor for me. IFIRC my Broadway is a 360 mm. The first one I bought just wasn't wide enough but is perfect in my pickup.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I have this same problem with my Donnlley mirror I installed. The problem is our keystone for the mirror is slightly different than the standard one that after-market and OEM mirrors use. What I did was used duct tape to make the keystone on the glass thicker, just enough that the mirror is tight sliding on. Then tighten the set screw. Try that and let us know if it works.
This isn't the problem. I had this CIPA / Magna Donnelley mirror installed for a long time w/o this vibration issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I've got the super wide Broadway mirror on mine and its real nice but it cracked the lower stock ball socket. I JB welded the lower ball and socket but the biggest problem is that the natural frequency is to close to the exciting vibration frequency. To combat this try sticking some mag wheel weights on the back as far forward as possible. Discount tires balances my tires pretty much on demand so that's not a factor for me. IFIRC my Broadway is a 360 mm. The first one I bought just wasn't wide enough but is perfect in my pickup.
Stock ball socket? On the stock mirror?

Anyway, I've kind of fixed this problem by zip-tie-ing the RAM mounting base to the base of the mirror. There's hardly any vibration now. Before the zip-ties were applied, I had tried adding some anti-vibration foam around the wedge on the RAM mounting base (that the rear-view mirror attaches to) and that didn't really help.

I'll try to post some pics. later of the "fix".