Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2023, 11:28 PM   #1
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
I made the brackets out of aluminum angle, I couldn’t find anything else that’s 1/16in thick. Well at least I know they won’t corrode, and they’re strong enough that I can’t fold them by hand. I cheaped out and made my own retaining clips too…
Once I position them on the axle frame, I’ll drill holes on the base and rivet them down. Yeah I know not welded, but it should still work.
I also made two extra ones with smaller hole, incase the hoses I’m relocating are differently designed than this hose. The hose in the pic is one that will connect to the caliper.
I don’t know why the first pic is upside down…
The clips atleast need to be the original hardened spring steel, Alu cannot work as a spring.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #2
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
The clips atleast need to be the original hardened spring steel, Alu cannot work as a spring.
exactly true, the aluminum is just going to let it go under pressure, or bend back n forth till it breaks off...it may not be "quick" but eventual inevitability

if you want "new" look for street rod hose mounts, if you want quick n dirty either cut some off a TRUCK/SUV...or even a car..tho on a car its hard to get enough materiel left to mount them

you can even look at clutch hose mounts, it only needs to fit the hose not the car, alot of the street rod ones are either studded for mounting or threaded for mounting so its easier to slap em in and be done

also aluminum on aluminum can and WILL corrode in fairly short order
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 04:36 PM   #3
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
exactly true, the aluminum is just going to let it go under pressure, or bend back n forth till it breaks off...it may not be "quick" but eventual inevitability...

Are you talking about the clip or the mounting bracket? I agree, that the clips should be spring steel, after a few test of mounting the aluminum clips on and off, the didn't retain the bend. I just didn't want to pay the $8 per clip from Toyota. I'll see if the car parts store near me has anything similar.

If anything, the brackets will be temporary, I just want to slap the disc conversion ASAP.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:37 PM   #4
Compeer

Quote:
Are you talking about the clip or the mounting bracket? I agree, that the clips should be spring steel, after a few test of mounting the aluminum clips on and off, the didn't retain the bend. I just didn't want to pay the $8 per clip from Toyota. I'll see if the car parts store near me has anything similar.

If anything, the brackets will be temporary, I just want to slap the disc conversion ASAP.
You will have to repair the holes you drill tho, idk man this is your brakes, Do it once do it right.

The Alu bracket will brake as well not just the clip, the brake hoses move back and fourth when pressurized under braking, this is going to stress fracture then brake off the mount right where its bent. It would need a triangle welded in to stop this or for it to be a properly cast unit designed to not bend.

You can do the brake upgrade, just use the stock mount position for the trailing arm and stock brake brackets for now, Later on just move the brackets and change trailing arm position, changing the arms position only requires 10mins and a 17mm and extension and a jack.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
Neinris

Quote:
You will have to repair the holes you drill tho, idk man this is your brakes, Do it once do it right.

The Alu bracket will brake as well not just the clip, the brake hoses move back and fourth when pressurized under braking, this is going to stress fracture then brake off the mount right where its bent. It would need a triangle welded in to stop this or for it to be a properly cast unit designed to not bend.

You can do the brake upgrade, just use the stock mount position for the trailing arm and stock brake brackets for now, Later on just move the brackets and change trailing arm position, changing the arms position only requires 10mins and a 17mm and extension and a jack.
Fine, fine… I’ve waited almost 2 years for this rear disc conversion, what’s another week of wait to do them properly. I’ll make the steel brackets at work this week and weld them next weekend.
I painted my front calipers black, but I think I’ll paint them red along with the rear to make them look sportier.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #6
Compeer

Quote:
Fine, fine… I’ve waited almost 2 years for this rear disc conversion, what’s another week of wait to do them properly. I’ll make the steel brackets at work this week and weld them next weekend.
I painted my front calipers black, but I think I’ll paint them red along with the rear to make them look sportier.
Hell yeah, and I know how you feel, I seen the RS crashed and wanted to do teh brake upgrade and then the car got dismantled. Took me 2 years to find another donor car to do my own swap.

Its a minor upgrade for normal driving but if you live in the mountains or you drive aggressivly/take it to the track then this makes the car feels so much nicer. I had to do a hard stop yesterday on the motorway and she stopped on a dime, she will stop even better with the other suspension back in, just gotta bring myself to do another day out installing it all.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:46 PM   #7
Neinris

Quote:
Hell yeah, and I know how you feel, I seen the RS crashed and wanted to do teh brake upgrade and then the car got dismantled. Took me 2 years to find another donor car to do my own swap.

Its a minor upgrade for normal driving but if you live in the mountains or you drive aggressivly/take it to the track then this makes the car feels so much nicer. I had to do a hard stop yesterday on the motorway and she stopped on a dime, she will stop even better with the other suspension back in, just gotta bring myself to do another day out installing it all.
Have you ever thought of relocating the brake brackets that are hitting and move the trailing arms to the top mounting holes again?

I found some clippings of the stainless steel rails from work, they're 1/16 of an inch (about 1.6mm) thick, just what I'm looking for to make the brackets out of. I've made one bracket so far, while I'm on lunch break.