Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #19
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I'm sure you could clear coat it, or get it anodized to protect it. I could get a quote on anodizing if people want that option.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #20
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
So any documented mileage gains by anyone with this pulley? Or is any potential mileage benefit offset by everyone revving their engine more? :)
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #21
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by schume View Post
So any documented mileage gains by anyone with this pulley? Or is any potential mileage benefit offset by everyone revving their engine more? :)
Not scientific, but it might have helped a little. I've been spending some time this summer trying figure out how to best make my commute a little less expensive... (Which reminds me, I should really start that "jpmck03's Mileage" thread...)

mpg.png

And yes, I know that one data point doesn't make a trend... just being optimistic for now though...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #22
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmck03 View Post
Not scientific, but it might have helped a little. I've been spending some time this summer trying figure out how to best make my commute a little less expensive... (Which reminds me, I should really start that "jpmck03's Mileage" thread...)

And yes, I know that one data point doesn't make a trend... just being optimistic for now though...
I have a good feeling about the pulley and will probably get it anyway. I'll keep an eye on your mileage to see if there's a trend.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #23
drunix

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3D LB
The automatic trans discourages me from revving the engine. No heel and toe shifting here. :-(

I track mileage but don't drive much so I can't report anything significant. I think I have put 2 tanks through now with the pulley. I switched to Mobil 1 I think one tank before that so my numbers will be skewed.

I would guess that the pulley would have an unmeasurable effect on MPG based on how I normally drive but I am trying to do everything possible (The one exception being I added 100# of sound deadening.) Really I think the pulley improved "drivability" without adversely affecting mpg. Shifts seem a bit smoother.

Last tank was 41+ mpg. Went 412 miles on the tank. Screwed up my records forever by not filling up all the way because I had to fill up near an airport $$$.

Some day I will have to find a bone stock 2010 Yaris to compare how it feels. I have made so many small changes and don't know what a normal Yaris is like any more. I drove a rental Versa last week. Whooo, glad I have the Yaris.
drunix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
jpmck03

So, I've had the light weight crank pulley on for just about 3 months and I'd say the verdict's in for fuel economy...

Long story short, since I'm now back in school and money's a little tighter, I've been trying to find ways to cut back on expenses. Starting around April of last year, I've been paying attention to how fast I drive, when I shift, how much I coast, etc. Very mild hypermiling. This netted me about an extra 3.5 mpg.

Installed the MI LW crank pulley on the 30th of July. Wasted the left over tank of gas enjoying the little power boost from freeing the engine from it's parasitic stock pulley...

Ended up pulling an extra 2 mpg without really changing my driving style at all. Pretty sweet, if I do say so myself!

dotted2.png

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #25
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
Sweet! Gonna save up for this bad boy soon!
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Hey that's pretty cool!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #27
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
I have noticed that even with my aggressive driving habits I can get high 30's and if I drive on roads that are less than 60 mph and drive cautiously I can get around 43 mpg, granted I have some parts added to it other than the pulley, but yes I agree, free power with out increasing fuel consumption seems to add up to better fuel millage. but that is a pretty fancy graph there, and i assume that the dotted lines are the average for that section.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
...but that is a pretty fancy graph there, and i assume that the dotted lines are the average for that section.
Thanks! I just eyeballed it with the graph, but that's about the average for each bit that I was talking about: (a) pre-paying attention, (b) paying attention, and (c) after the pulley, but still paying attention.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #29
NaviLupets

Drives: toyota yaris
How long have you guys had those pulley installed? I really want to get one but I'm afraid that it will do damage. All the suppliers keep saying its fine but they just want to make money i wonder if u guys have had any problems with the lightweight crank pulley. I have intake header and exhaust, this will complete the package. I need positive feedback and conformation that it will not damage my engine!
NaviLupets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #30
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
I installed mine 4-27-13, put about 50miles on it and no damage yet. On a serious note though, I read a lot of threads and websites before I bought the pulley. It came across to me the only problems people had were those not installing it correctly.
Examples: 1. The pulley wobbles? It was not aligned properly.
2. The pulley came off? It was not put on at 95 ft/lb.
3. The belt now makes noise? The belt was not adjusted properly, either too tight or too lose.
There were no reports of stress failures or at least nothing I found. Granted everyone wants to make money, but no one is going to suggest something that will damage the car or they would not be in business long.
When I talked to Geoff at MicroImage he said the header, exhaust, air intake and pulley will net you around 15 to 20 horsepower total for the 1.5L Yaris. Which for around 1000 dollars you get almost 20 percent increase in power.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #31
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
The only reported damage to a yaris was a race model, that went above the 8k RPM mark. The stock rev limiter won't let you get that high. I've had my pulley for close to 90k miles with ZERO issues, except a more fun to drive car.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #32
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Let's make a distinction between the Micro Image pulley and the now discontinued NST pulley. I prefer to address concerns about ours, since it's the one that is available now.

Our first production run had thinner edges on the ribs, which on Jason's race car caused a problem over 8000 rpm. This caused belt wear issues on that car. Stock limiter is 6250.

Our second run included a pass with a special machining tool to square off the edges, closer to factory shape. This is the red/black version we sell now.

I would trust either pulley on a street or mild race car. We do have a commitment to providing quality parts and improving the parts we make when we see a need for that.

Happy to answer any questions or concerns, always.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #33
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
+1 with Garms above statement! I totally trust the products that he makes. I've had my pulley installed for about a month now and i'm 100% happy with the results and performance of the microimage pulley! BTW i have the black pulley
Old 05-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
NaviLupets

OK cool I'm going to get a red one!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
NaviLupets

to FOOT. $1000 haha yea no I payed 50$ for a ebay cold air with filter that goes into the bumper and is totaly legit, 225$ for obx r race header, 60$ at the local muffler shop to cut my resonator and cat off replacing it with a straight pipe and, 140$ for the pulley will total 475$ hahaha yea!!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 PM   #36
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
Well I guess I overspent =).
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crank pulley, diy, light weight, microimage, review