Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
DIY: MI Lightweight Pulley

For anyone that's on the fence on how to do this, or just wants some easy printable directions to bring out to the garage/driveway...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY - LWCP.pdf (620.1 KB, 361 views)

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
jpmck03

And the non-printer friendly edition:

Quick Overview

What Is a Lightweight Crank Pulley?
A light weight crank pulley is simply a lightened version of the crank pulley that comes from the factory on a vehicle. On the 1NZ-FE engine, it’s highlighted in red in the illustration below. This pulley is attached to the other three pulleys (to the right on the aforementioned illustration) via a belt.

illustration-crank-high.png
Why Do I Want One?
Simply put, it frees up power that the engine was using to keep the heavier OEM pulley spinning. It all comes down to reducing parasitic loss on the engine.
One of the better analogies as to how and why it works is as follows:
“Anything that reduces rotational inertia frees up power. That includes the crank pulley, the flywheel, and your wheels/tires.
“Take a CD in with your fingers around the edge, and spin it back and forth. Now imagine it’s made of steel and much heavier. Harder to spin. Same concept.”

Introduction
Disclaimer
These instructions are merely a guide. I’m not a mechanic, so please use this as I guide at your own risk.
Suggested Tools
I used the following tools during my install. You may find that other tools my work better for your situation, so feel free to use what is best for you.
  • ½-in. drive teardrop ratchet
  • ⅜-in. drive teardrop ratchet
  • sockets in ½-in. drive:
  • 19mm socket
  • sockets in ⅜-in. drive:
  • 12mm socket
  • 14mm socket
  • Torque wrench
  • floor jack
  • jack stand
  • chock or block of wood
  • WD-40 (optional)
  • work gloves (optional, but really suggested)
Installation
Time Required
30 – 45 minutes.
Installation
Lifting and Panel Removal
First thing’s first: park your car on a nice even area, and make sure to engage the parking brake. You are going to need to jack up the car on the front passenger side, so chock the rear driver’s side wheel and jack up the car. Make sure to use jack stands for your safety!

After the car has been lifted, remove your front passenger’s side wheel and put it aside. Inside the wheel well, you will see a panel that has to be removed (shown in orange in the photo below).

1-panel.jpg

There are six bolts that have to be removed to take off this panel. Once you remove this panel, you will be able to see the OEM crank pulley (shown in red in the photo below).

2-panel-off.jpg

Alternator Loosening and Belt Removal
In order to remove the crank pulley, the accessory belt must be loosened and moved out of the way. To do this, the alternator must be loosened and moved to release tension on the belt. Recall the illustration on page 1. There are two bolts which must be loosened in order to move the alternator which are both highlighted in yellow. Before loosening these two bolts, it is handy to mark the location of the top bolt on the bracket. If you are using a smaller wrench, it may be helpful to use a small piece of pipe to extend the ratchet. Loosen both bolts and then gently press the alternator back towards the engine. The end result of this step is shown in the photo to the right. This will release tension on the belt, and allow it to be moved out of the way.

3-alt-bolts.jpg
Pulley Removal and Replacement
There are a number of different ways to remove the pulley. For this guide, the simple hand tools method will be used. To remove the pulley, have someone hold the pulley in place while you loosen the bolt on the pulley. This can be achieved with several methods: a.) wedge a screwdriver between the pulley and the engine block (don’t use this method on the lightweight pulley!), b) have someone hold the pulley in place by wrapping a shop rag through the pulley, or c) tie a rope between the pulley and the frame to hold it in place.

Using a breaker bar (or impact gun, if you have one) and 19mm socket, break the bolt holding the pulley in place loose. Once it has broken free, finger loosen the bolt, while holding the pulley in place. Slowly remove the pulley being mindful of the pin that is used to align the pulley!
4-pin.jpg
Reassembly
Now that you have removed the OEM pulley, you can begin the reassembly process. Reapply your new pulley, ensuring that the pin is lined up and everything is snug. Finger tighten the bolt until tight, then using a torque wrench, tighten the bolt to 95 ft•lbf. Then, run the pulley back around the crank pulley.

5-on.jpg

Move the alternator back to its original position, tightening the top bolt first, to hold in place, followed by the bottom bolt. While the access panel is still open, give the alternator a few spins to ensure that the belt is properly seated on the pulley. At this time you could start up the car to make sure everything is running smoothly before finishing up.

Replace the wheel well panel, noting that the 2 bolts with thinner threads go into the top portion of the panel nearest the pulley. Put your wheel back on and lower the car.
Functions Check
To ensure that everything was done correctly, check the following:
  • Before starting the car, look to see if the belts are properly aligned and seated on each pulley.
  • With the car running, check to see if the belts are still aligned and properly seated on each pulley, and listen for any noises.
  • If there are any squeals or noises coming from the belts, check to see if the belts are properly tightened.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Thumbs up

Excellent DIY writeup!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I am doing this, this evening.

your write-ups are really good. I really like the color coding that you do. How do you do that? is it in paint? photoshop? GIMP?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I am doing this, this evening.

your write-ups are really good. I really like the color coding that you do. How do you do that? is it in paint? photoshop? GIMP?
Thanks!

Let us know how it works out. (There's a thread here that you just got it, amiright?)

I used Paint.NET, which is similar to GIMP and/or Photoshop, but Windows only.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
BEEF

I've actually been meaning to ask. I saw the one you did also on the under hood short shifter. Part of it was so that I could tag the thread and just go to user CP and find this thread quickly when I went to do the install (shameful, I know).

The install went without a hitch. I didn't have a torque wrench so I had to wait until my buddy could help. He has a huge one (torque wrench, that is). All in all, not too bad.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Wow,, that is one big torque wrench!
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
dobbiedoo
Dobbiedoo

Drives: 2009 5 door Hb Yaris
How much HP does it free up, and where do you et one?

Thanks
dobbiedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
It doesn't really add HP but it seems like acceleration is a lot better. I just got it installed yesterday with my tanabe exhaust and when i just step on the gas a little bit it pulls and its awsome! here's the link for the pulley! http://shop.microimageonline.com/MI-...LWCP-Yaris.htm
DJYojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Wow,, that is one big torque wrench!
No kidding!

Quote:
i just step on the gas a little bit it pulls and its awsome!
Correct, the lighter pulley won't add actual horsepower, but by using less energy to spin it, more power is transferred to the wheels, where you feel it.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #11
iceage

Drives: no car
Hey beef,

After installing the pulley, do you notice any squeaky sounds?
iceage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
BEEF

I did have to pull the alternator back farther than the mark that I made for realignment but I did not notice any squeaking. I figure my belt had streched some over time (30,000 miles but 4-5 years old on original belt) but it does not squeak. I was concerned about that as others had said that it makes a squeaking noise.

So far, so good. No weird noises or hiccups.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
most belts will need to be adjusted after install. Mine was horrid. After adjusting it was perfect.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #14
NaviLupets

Drives: toyota yaris
does the new lighter weight pulley do damage because it absorbs less vibration?
NaviLupets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #15
jRoss

Drives: 2010 5spd sedan
Awesome write up! I planned on doing this mod and installing it myself. Thanks a ton!
jRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #16
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
mpg

does this give ya anymore MPG ? anybody who has already done it confirm or seen any difference in MPG?
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
jpmck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by esse10 View Post
does this give ya anymore MPG ? anybody who has already done it confirm or seen any difference in MPG?
Yes, it can.

Depends on how you drive though, and a lot of other factors, I'm sure.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaviLupets View Post
does the new lighter weight pulley do damage because it absorbs less vibration?
no, 4 cylinder engines are balanced vertically and don't have the need for a harmonic balancer like many "V" type engines. it wont hurt your engine unless you install it incorrectly.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, light weight, microimage, pdf, pulley