Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
YarMinor

Drives: 2007 Meteorite Hatch
Exclamation Help! Losing power...

Hi, YW!

I have been having some trouble with my car. When I drive up to (or returning from) the mountains, I feel like I am losing power. The car seems to be struggling to maintain a reasonable speed. At points, I need to be flooring it to maintain 65mph on the highway, regardless of whether I'm going uphill or downhill. Then, when I have it floored, I think the car gets confused as to which gear it should be in, and quickly transitions back and forth between 3rd and 4th, causing a knocking noise sometimes.

It's the winter here in Colorado, but I don't think that it has to do with the cold. I think it has more to do with the altitude, because it only happens when I get higher up in the mountains. At first, I thought it may be an issue with the transmission, but it only has 35k on it. My other thought is that it may be an air intake problem (consistent with the altitude variable).

Does YW have any ideas? Questions? Please help!
YarMinor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
altitude, losing, power, slow, sluggish