Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2024, 06:23 PM   #1
myotheryarisisayaris

Drives: Yaris
2ZRFE and manual swap 2007 hatchback

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster. I finally managed to kill my 1NZ engine, which means I have a good excuse to do this swap. I also want to swap out the auto trans for a manual while I'm at it.

Over the last couple of years I've read every 2zr swap thread I can find on here and have started putting together a shopping list, I'm hoping some of you can critique it and let me know if I'm heading in the right direction or not. I have watched the MCM Yaris Hilton videos many times over, to be honest I'm still wrapping my head around how they did a few things.

Also I'm in Australia, hence leaning towards as many Corolla parts as I can, though I'm happy to get my hands on some of the Scion xD parts to make the swap easier, and avoid fiddling with electronics as much as possible.

My list for the engine swap:

2ZRFE engine (from Corolla)
ECM (from manual Corolla)
Engine Harness (from manual Corolla)
Body Harness (keep from Yaris?)
Alternator (Corolla)
AC Compressor (Corolla)
MAF sensor and intake (Corolla)
Exhaust (from Corolla)
Passenger side mount (from Scion xD)
Engine side mount (from Scion xD)

For the transmission swap:

Manual Transmission (from donor manual Yaris)
Clutch (donor Yaris)
Flywheel (donor Yaris)
Shifter (donor Yaris)
Shifter cable (donor Yaris)
Clutch pedal (donor Yaris)
Brake pedal (donor Yaris)
Clutch Master line (donor Yaris)
Slave cylinder line (donor Yaris)
Brake master cylinder (donor Yaris)
Relevant brackets / hardware (donor Yaris)

My questions:

Should I look for an ECM / harness from a manual Scion xD instead of from a Corolla?

Any particular model Corolla I should look for? I was keeping my eye out for a 2010.

Any tips on avoiding immobilizer issues?

I appreciate anyone who wants to chime in. If there's any necessary reading you think I've missed please share.

Thanks in advance!
myotheryarisisayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:04 PM   #2
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Good luck with the swap!

It also blows my mind that people actually manage to kill a stock 1NZ/2NZ, they are just such good little engines.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:05 PM   #3
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

delete

Old 01-05-2024, 12:55 AM   #4
myotheryarisisayaris

Thanks mate!

To be honest I really neglected my poor Yari for a good decade, it's a Toyota miracle she lasted that long.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:29 PM   #5
rpster

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Your list looks mostly complete:
-Yaris body harness: keep
-AC: You'll also need hoses and I recommended swapping the condenser for a new one. Flushing it will be a pain.

On engine and harness:
I recommend going with the Scion XD ECM and engine harness if possible. This will reduce manual wiring to just a couple wires and ensure compatibility with the body harness. Additionally, a US Scion XD ECM will not have an immobilizer, which should mean it will work with any engine/body. If you want to maintain the immobilizer, then I'd suggest going with a Corolla ECM and getting your keys reprogrammed.

A Corolla engine harness with a Scion XD ECM should work, but you'll want to check the pinout on both to make sure these match up.

Keep in mind, the ECM and harness is also transmission specific, i.e. manual ECM and harness can only be used with a manual transmission.
rpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 04:23 PM   #6
myotheryarisisayaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpster View Post
Your list looks mostly complete:
-Yaris body harness: keep
-AC: You'll also need hoses and I recommended swapping the condenser for a new one. Flushing it will be a pain.

On engine and harness:
I recommend going with the Scion XD ECM and engine harness if possible. This will reduce manual wiring to just a couple wires and ensure compatibility with the body harness. Additionally, a US Scion XD ECM will not have an immobilizer, which should mean it will work with any engine/body. If you want to maintain the immobilizer, then I'd suggest going with a Corolla ECM and getting your keys reprogrammed.

A Corolla engine harness with a Scion XD ECM should work, but you'll want to check the pinout on both to make sure these match up.

Keep in mind, the ECM and harness is also transmission specific, i.e. manual ECM and harness can only be used with a manual transmission.
Awesome, I'll begin the hunt for an ECM and engine harness from a manual US Scion xD. I believe the ECM part number is 89661-52F82. I'm not fussed on keeping the immobiliser so seems like the ideal option.

Appreciate your wisdom!
Old 01-06-2024, 12:26 AM   #7
rpster

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by myotheryarisisayaris View Post
I believe the ECM part number is 89661-52F82.
All of these are ECMs from Manual XDs from 2008-2014. Just heads up that Canadian XDs got an immobilizer and have the same part numbers. I would check with the seller if they have the VIN so you can double-check.

89661-52F81
89661-52F82
89661-52F83
89661-52M10
89661-52T90
89661-52Y50
rpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:44 PM   #8
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpster View Post
AFAIK You can use the auto ECU, it will just throw codes for the non-existent transmission lol.

Auto engine harness can also be used with a manual(but not the other way around) but you'll have to add or transfer the wires from the Yaris engine harness for the reverse lights over to the Scion harness to make them work.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:48 PM   #9
myotheryarisisayaris

Awesome, thank you both. I do remember reading that from one of Armstrong racing's posts.

The manual Scion harnesses seem to be rarer than hen's teeth, so very good to know...