Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #325
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
with the underdrive..stock equipment is just retensioned correct?

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:04 PM   #326
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Do we have any new NST Pulley owners with user reviews or comments to share?

Yes, I just installed the CR lite pulley on my Xb today. I have some positives and negatives.

Positives- I emailed NST to ask about a pulley for the Xb because it was listed as "special order". The good news was they has 2 in stock, a grey one and a red one, so no 5 week wait. I ordered the grey one and received it on monday (1/19).

The materials and workmanship are superb. It spins so smoothly I just had to watch it idle for like a minute.

Negatives- I see NST has listed the other red pulley they had in stock on ebay for $25 less than what I paid just days earlier.

I installed it today, everything went great, but the power steeering belt is a bitch to both loosen and tighten.

Now for the wierd stuff. I left my brothers shop following installation of the pulley and drove about six miles on the interstate and began to hear a sort of rhythmic vibration most notable around 3000-3200 RPM's. The noise got quite loud and freaked me out so I took an exit and pulled into a parking lot to inspect. The noise was now audible at all engine speeds and (having opened the hood) was clearly coming from the pulley area. I was now pissed and jumped back in the Xb to go to my brothers shop to swap it back to stock. By the time I got back the noise was almost gone. I even took my brother for a ride so he could hear it, and by the end of that short ride it was completley gone. I decided to keep it installed and see what happens. 14 miles home, no noise. Then I just drove to work (where I am now) and it was buttery smooth, no noise, and I could definitley feel the extra Zippiness in the lower gears. Anyone experience this following installation of their pulley?

Final negative is the NST pulley weighs 1lb 9.2oz while the stock weighs 3lb 11.3oz, so just a 57% reduction in weight. Not bad, just not as much as many other pulleys they have listed.

Overall I am very happy, just concerned what the noise was and wondering if it will return.

Edit- See post #331 for an explanation of what caused the noise.

Last edited by PetersRedYaris; 01-24-2009 at 12:28 AM.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #327
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Yes, I just installed the CR lite pulley on my Xb today. I have some positives and negatives.

Positives- I emailed NST to ask about a pulley for the Xb because it was listed as "special order". The good news was they has 2 in stock, a grey one and a red one, so no 5 week wait. I ordered the grey one and received it on monday (1/19).

The materials and workmanship are superb. It spins so smoothly I just had to watch it idle for like a minute.

Negatives- I see NST has listed the other red pulley they had in stock on ebay for $25 less than what I paid just days earlier.

I installed it today, everything went great, but the power steeering belt is a bitch to both loosen and tighten.

Now for the wierd stuff. I left my brothers shop following installation of the pulley and drove about six miles on the interstate and began to hear a sort of rhythmic vibration most notable around 3000-3200 RPM's. The noise got quite loud and freaked me out so I took an exit and pulled into a parking lot to inspect. The noise was now audible at all engine speeds and (having opened the hood) was clearly coming from the pulley area. I was now pissed and jumped back in the Xb to go to my brothers shop to swap it back to stock. By the time I got back the noise was almost gone. I even took my brother for a ride so he could hear it, and by the end of that short ride it was completley gone. I decided to keep it installed and see what happens. 14 miles home, no noise. Then I just drove to work (where I am now) and it was buttery smooth, no noise, and I could definitley feel the extra Zippiness in the lower gears. Anyone experience this following installation of their pulley?

Final negative is the NST pulley weighs 1lb 9.2oz while the stock weighs 3lb 11.3oz, so just a 57% reduction in weight. Not bad, just not as much as many other pulleys they have listed.

Overall I am very happy, just concerned what the noise was and wondering if it will return.
Hmmm... very strange. I can honestly say that I have never heard of this (noise) issue. That having been said, I can only speculate as to what the noise may have been...

I would suggest double checking your belts, making sure that they are both routed propely, and that neither was pinched during installation. Also, how many miles do you have on these belts? Belts are wear and tear items, and do need to be replaced from time to time. Again, these are just some things to check... I am not saying this was the cause of the noise.

Otherwise, I would keep an eye on your engine bay to make sure everything is in the right place and working as it should be.

You are more than welcome to take off the pulley and return it to us for inspection, should the noise return.

I am always available via PM, Email, AIM, and of course PHONE.

Thank you again for your interest in our site and products, we certainly do appreciate it. Good luck and have fun with all your future projects!

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #328
PetersRedYaris

Yeah, it definitely was a noise, I shouldn't have said vibration as I couldn't feel anything or see anything while it was idleing with the hood up. I guess it was more of a rhythmic ringing. Very wierd...

The belts are origional and have 59,000 miles on them, they looked fine so I reused them. I'm sure the routing is correct and belt tension is on the low side as I would rather have a belt slip than over tighten it.

I can't explain it. It drove home from work perfect as can be. And might I add I got to really feel the difference in acceleration.

My garage is too full to pull my car in (hence the reason for going to the shop to install it), but if we have a warm day I'm going to pull off the passenger wheel and inspect everything just for peace of mind. And of course should it do it again I'll remove it and send it in for inspection. I just fear it's not the pulley (i don't see how it could be).

Oh and one last negative, it has no NST logo etched on it. I was a bit dissapointed by this. Just the smooth anodized grey finish...
Old 01-23-2009, 02:22 AM   #329
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
could be the belt on the new pully........I had a pontiac that i put pullys on and it made a nasty noise the first 5 miles which took me an hour to drive as i pulled over to look for issues every 1000 feet too.......check the alignment of the pully and make sure it is not on to deep or shallow....that was what my first thought was on mine,but ended up being old belt no like the new pully.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #330
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post

The belts are origional and have 59,000 miles on them, they looked fine so I reused them. I'm sure the routing is correct and belt tension is on the low side as I would rather have a belt slip than over tighten it...

I would suggest using a new set of Gates belts. 59K is a lot of miles for one set of belts, and the belts have surely stretched and aged a bit by now.

Even if they aren't noisy anymore, it would probably be a good idea to replace them. After all, belts are wear and tear items and should be replaced from time to time.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #331
PetersRedYaris

Well, I'm quite certain I've found the problem, which brings both good and bad news. The good, the NST pulley in no way has caused the problem. The bad, the water pump has some dried antifreeze "crust" below it, indicating a failing water pump. I did some searching on Scionlife and found this.

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/view...ght=water+pump

Watch the video... Wow, a similar noise. Why mine decided to make the noise when it did and then go away is beyond me. Coincidence I guess. And according to the scionlife thread, it seems earily common to have a WP go out at about my mileage.

So, long story short, I'm not replacing it tomorrow as I have found zero fluid under the car after it has been parked and the noise has not returned. I'll get a genuine pump (and some belts I suppose) from Sparks Toyota and keep it ready for when the noise returns or a faster leak developes.

Oh and here are a couple pictures.
Heres the Pink "crust" under the WP-

And an installed pic of the NST pulley-

No NST etched logo.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #332
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
with the underdrive..stock equipment is just retensioned correct?
Correct!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #333
NonStopTuning

Anyone want to save about $30 on a set of ALT & WP Pulleys?!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13186

Have a great week everyone!!!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 AM   #334
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
I am just so amazed at how fast your customer service guys at NST responded to my email, or it might have been you mike? :)

Thanks, just waiting to get my Yaris now. And a boatload of parts too!!!
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #335
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
I am just so amazed at how fast your customer service guys at NST responded to my email, or it might have been you mike? :)

Thanks, just waiting to get my Yaris now. And a boatload of parts too!!!
Yes sir, I was the one who answered your Email. You're very welcome.

And if you enjoyed our customer service, just wait until you have our pulley kit installed and go for a test drive!!!

Please help spread the good word about NST in your area, we would appreciate it.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:02 AM   #336
NonStopTuning

Those who have purchased pulleys recently need to post pics, impressions, reviews ASAP

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #337
NonStopTuning

Old 01-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #338
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Crank Pulley
stock 50 oz --- nst 13oz

-Alternator Pulley
stock 10 oz --- nst 2 oz

-Water Pump Pulley
stock 14 oz --- nst 6 oz

What about the 10% underdrive crank pulley?
How much does it weight ?

Last edited by Red Horse; 01-31-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:49 AM   #339
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
I see installing the underdrive pulley means you need to re-tension the belt... how do I do that? and how do I know what the tension is supposed to be?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:22 PM   #340
NonStopTuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
I see installing the underdrive pulley means you need to re-tension the belt... how do I do that? and how do I know what the tension is supposed to be?
The alternator is used as the main source of tension for the belt.
When in doubt... more tension is better than more slop.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:47 AM   #341
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
Carefull!!! Too much tension will damage the waterpump!
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 AM   #342
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat View Post
There was a DIY posted that included a method which I also used. Prior to loosening the alt., mark it with a line using a felt tip at the point where the bolt goes thru the bracket. This way you have a line on the alt. and the bracket. Without smearing the marks in the process, do your replacement and then realign the marks and secure. If you are also putting on the 10% underdrive crank your bolt position will move approx. 1/2 to 3/4 in. As far as tool used to achieve the tension, I used a wrapped prybar placed carefully.

Don't forget to allow for stretch if you are doing a belt change. Your marks will not align and to much tension to get them too will or may cause damage to other parts.

Hope that helps.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote