Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
Offset and lowering on 205/45/16s

OK, I've been searching on here all night and haven't come to a conclusive answer. I'm looking to get a set of 16x7" wheels for my new LB. I'm settled on 205/45/16 size tires. The wheels I'm looking at come in a +38 offset.

If I lower the car with Tanabe DFs, what are the chances I'll have problems with rubbing with this combination? I know the overall height of the wheel and tire will be slightly smaller than stock, but I'm worried about the offset being too low and causing rubbing on the inside of the fender, especially if I had passengers in the back of the car.

Would I be better off with NFs? How about choosing a wheel with a higher (+42) offset? Any advice appreciated.
driver centric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
38 should be fine, I have 215 tires at that offset, perfect fit.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
The offset is fine. I run the same tire size, but with the DF's the car will not sit low enough and you will have a big gap between the fender and the tire (almost like stock). You might consider 205/50/16 if you want the lowered look without the wheel gap.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
driver centric
I know right?

Thanks so much for the input guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
The offset is fine. I run the same tire size, but with the DF's the car will not sit low enough and you will have a big gap between the fender and the tire (almost like stock). You might consider 205/50/16 if you want the lowered look without the wheel gap.
I was considering 205/50/16s but I've read posts by another user (can't recall his username at the moment) running this size tire on the same size wheel with lowering springs and he said he's experienced slight rubbing. His offset is +40 I believe though. His car does look great with the setup but I'd rather not run the risk.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
nun73
Doctor Drive Little

Drives: Yaris M-Silver Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver centric View Post
OK, I've been searching on here all night and haven't come to a conclusive answer. I'm looking to get a set of 16x7" wheels for my new LB. I'm settled on 205/45/16 size tires. The wheels I'm looking at come in a +38 offset.

If I lower the car with Tanabe DFs, what are the chances I'll have problems with rubbing with this combination? I know the overall height of the wheel and tire will be slightly smaller than stock, but I'm worried about the offset being too low and causing rubbing on the inside of the fender, especially if I had passengers in the back of the car.

Would I be better off with NFs? How about choosing a wheel with a higher (+42) offset? Any advice appreciated.
+38 offset is popular for front wheel drive vihicle and yaris also,
For tanabe DF is defensive feeling and lower than NF normall feeling approx 0.5 inch.
Usually, NF is sound good for 16" rims and DF proper with 15" rims.
For me, i prefer NF but according to personal fondness.
nun73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Go for 205/50/16s. You will have less wheel gap and the car will look lower.
I have 16X7 +40mm with 205/50/16s

largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Thanks so much for the input guys!

I was considering 205/50/16s but I've read posts by another user (can't recall his username at the moment) running this size tire on the same size wheel with lowering springs and he said he's experienced slight rubbing. His offset is +40 I believe though. His car does look great with the setup but I'd rather not run the risk.
205/50's are the way to go, should be fine with the +38, my 225 barely clear with a +38
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
driver centric
I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Go for 205/50/16s. You will have less wheel gap and the car will look lower.
I have 16X7 +40mm with 205/50/16s
I love your stance, but haven't you noticed some rubbing? I already ordered my wheels and tires with 205/45/16s, so I'm gonna be riding on those for a while. I'm going to be lowering on DF210s so I wanted to give myself some extra room to play with. If it looks like I have good clearance I may go up to 50 series tires after the 45s wear out, but hopefully that won't be for a while. Thanks again for the advice guys!

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
Old 04-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
I love your stance, but haven't you noticed some rubbing? I already ordered my wheels and tires with 205/45/16s, so I'm gonna be riding on those for a while. I'm going to be lowering on DF210s so I wanted to give myself some extra room to play with. If it looks like I have good clearance I may go up to 50 series tires after the 45s wear out, but hopefully that won't be for a while. Thanks again for the advice guys!
Yes, very slightly on the outside of the inner fenderliner where the bumper meets the fender. Minor cutting should fix it. +38 would yeild a bit more rubbing but sould be fixed with minor cutting as well.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
driver centric
I know right?

The wheels I ended up getting are the same offset as yours, +40. Hopefully with 45 series tires, I shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I wouldn't want to have to cut the fender lining if I don't have to. I'll keep you guys posted when everything comes in and I get it all installed. Thanks again for the input!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
The wheels I ended up getting are the same offset as yours, +40. Hopefully with 45 series tires, I shouldn't have any rubbing issues. I wouldn't want to have to cut the fender lining if I don't have to. I'll keep you guys posted when everything comes in and I get it all installed. Thanks again for the input!
You probably wont have any issue with 45 series tires.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
driver centric
I know right?

That's what I'm hoping!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:51 AM   #13
nurburgring
ringmeister

Drives: YARIS 1.5
I run 195/50R16s +45s . The rear look like the can do with 5 mm less offset. Currently no rub whatsoever. The NFs are soft, so with a full load, the wheel does go right into the fenders without issue. WIth my current offset, my front tyres are flush with the fenders. I would think +38s will stick out.

If u prefer comfort, the NFs provide an almost stock ride. But it wont corner like TRDs or DFs.

nurburgring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:55 PM   #14
driver centric
I know right?

Very nice setup nurburgring, I actually looked into that size tire but choices were very limited.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #15
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post

almost stock? no way.

we're talking 24.1 to 23.3 diameter, from a 4 inch side wall to a 3.6, ok this is less than half an inch, notable but that is not back to stock, that gap was major

that would be the difference from 205/50/16 to 205/45/16

just sayin'

Last edited by brickhardmeat; 04-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.
brickhardmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
driver centric
I know right?

Yeah I seriously doubt the wheel gap will be anywhere near stock, especially on DF210s. Here is 501's LB on DF210s and 205/40/16s for reference.

Obviously the sidewall on his tires is shorter than the 45s I ordered and I think his stance is pretty nice. He said the front is so high because the installer didn't cut the bumpstops for his TRD shocks. After that was done, he said the drop looked much better. I'll be doing the install myself so I'll be making sure the bumpstops are cut the first go-round

Basically, I'm willing to give up a little of the sidewall and "filled-out" appearance bigger tires create to be sure I'm not going to have any rubbing.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I think it will be a healthy looking drop. I am up in the air on my second set of wheels if I will go 205/55/15 or not. No rush to decide right now anyway I still don't have this set mounted.

However, I do not buy into the whole -cutting your bump stops will lower the car anymore.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #18
driver centric
I know right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I think it will be a healthy looking drop. I am up in the air on my second set of wheels if I will go 205/55/15 or not. No rush to decide right now anyway I still don't have this set mounted.

However, I do not buy into the whole -cutting your bump stops will lower the car anymore.
Well 501 had TRD struts put on his LB, aren't they shorter than the stock pieces? And obviously, they weren't meant to be used with DFs, which are lower than the TRD springs. So I guess it makes sense to me. Why else would the front of his car be sitting up so high? He said it evened out after the bumpstops were cut...

Drop pic of DF210s from Tanabe's Web site for reference:

The front looks pretty even with the back to me...