Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I think you're making too much of it. The Yaris comes from Japan, with a pretty long lead time between ordering and showing up on the lot. The Kanto Auto Works makes a bunch of other Toyota models. Who knows if they even build Yaris sedans all the time? Same for whoever builds the hatchbacks. They may just gear up to produce that model for a while, crank out a batch, then build something else. They've probably already switched over to 2010 model production. This is the time of year for selling off leftovers. The Cash for Clunkers buying surge caught all the manufacturers by surprise, and I heard some bitter complaints from U.S. brand dealers like Ford that they couldn't keep cars in stock. And of course Toyota dealers would rather sell a car they make more off of like a Corolla, Camry or Prius, anyway.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #20
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I think the disappointed sales have much to do with the seemingly low Yaris inventories right now (again). I still see barely any Yaris's on the lots. Can't sell cars they don't have. They put all of their focus on Camry, Corolla, ect.

Fit's, Versa's, and Aveo's were well stalked though.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 AM   #21
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I think you're making too much of it. The Yaris comes from Japan, with a pretty long lead time between ordering and showing up on the lot. The Kanto Auto Works makes a bunch of other Toyota models. Who knows if they even build Yaris sedans all the time? Same for whoever builds the hatchbacks. They may just gear up to produce that model for a while, crank out a batch, then build something else. They've probably already switched over to 2010 model production. This is the time of year for selling off leftovers. The Cash for Clunkers buying surge caught all the manufacturers by surprise, and I heard some bitter complaints from U.S. brand dealers like Ford that they couldn't keep cars in stock. And of course Toyota dealers would rather sell a car they make more off of like a Corolla, Camry or Prius, anyway.
Good points. But does that explain the proliferation of them elsewhere? If there are so many in Canada - no doubt from the North American Production run - does that mean the US got the shaft? This alludes to my earlier point that the US Dealerships didn't think there was much of a market for them.

Anyhow, thanks for bringing that up.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:42 PM   #22
ivanivanix

Drives: Yaris 5 Door Liftback White
When I decided that I want a Yaris 5 door, the close-by dealer only had ONE :D
Luckily, the color was white (exactly as the doctor ordered in the South-East with its brutal sun) and loaded to the collarbone. One three things my didn't have compared to the "S" version is the sporty seats, the tachometer, and the rear defogger. I'm a happy camper! Exactly the design of the personal vehicle that I saw everywhere in Italy. But the car is so unfamiliar to the SUV crowd, they make big eyes every time they see my little bubble.
One strange difference with N.American version and what the youtube is full of (those commercials that target the french market) is that the Vitz comes equipped with a big round push-start button. It would have been a nice touch. But it's OK. It's still a Vitz/Yaris.

Last edited by ivanivanix; 09-04-2009 at 03:05 PM.
ivanivanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #23
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
The problem with blaming US dealers with shortages of equiped Yarises is that Toyota Japan controls how many and what type of Yarises are shipped to Toyota USA. A few months ago there were reports of Toyota having a (world wide) 175 day supply of Yarises. Toyota stopped production of the Yaris for a few weeks. Then the US Government passed Cash for Clunkers. The Cash for Clunkers program caused a shortage of Yarises in the US. Having to deal with a 175 day supply of Yarises (world wide), plus having to deal with the shock of the first operating loss in 70 years, Toyota has few reasons to over produce well equiped Yarises.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
Yariscrazy

Drives: soon to be ;2010, 4dr hatch
not on long Island ,ny ! all my dealerships report that they have no 09 Yaris's left.
Yariscrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #25
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Do you only get the tachometer in the hatch if you get the S model? Even with a manual tranny?
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM   #26
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
Do you only get the tachometer in the hatch if you get the S model? Even with a manual tranny?
Yep.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
Lewis
Our off road vehicle

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr
I think it boils to the fact the Corolla is built over here and therefore has much more profit in it for Toyota than the Yaris which is priced in Yen being built in Japan. So it's natural for Toyota to try to push people up a bit into a basic Corolla which is the model they're cranking out in volume in North America.

Toyota needs a presence in the A segment in the US (which they probably mistakenly see as a niche market) which the Yaris provides but until they're forced to build them in the North America by the sinking dollar (making it totally uneconomic to import them), the supply of Yarii will be limited, unpromoted and restricted as to equipment all of which pushes most Toyota buyers to the Corolla and generic A class buyers to other brands.

I can envision a Yaris model equipped with a tachometer, rear anti sway bar, and the power and convenience package, the new vehicle stablity system w/traction control, ABS and all the air bags (why not give us the knee bags you give Europeans!) priced say at 15-16K that would be very competitive but I bet Toyota would worry it would eat into much more profitable Corolla sales while making very little for the corporation.

With the new Fiesta on the way expect even fewer Yarii on dealers lots I'm afraid.

Last edited by Lewis; 09-08-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote