Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
go custom. this really isnt a race engine i think they expect you to remove things like that when installing kits like this and go full race cams and run at full or 80% all the time like on a race track.

kinda like the TRD 4AGE but the economy version.
Now I cant tell if you are serious or just trolling.

I spoke to ARP as soon as we discovered the issue. They built the kit to fit the stock engine, and they did so because an overseas customer put in an order for 50 kits. They claimed to have never had an issue reported to them. Clearly they never test fitted the kit on a stock engine during R&D, the VVTi interference is a pretty major oversight. If you sell a part to fit a stock engine it should fit. But somehow they almost never do.

When I sent them images they could not deny the fitment issue, and the only response was to use a stock bolt in that location. Duh.

They don't do one-offs, you want a set made you have to order enough to make it worth the machine time. Closest thing you get to one-off is finding parts that can be "made to fit". This is what Garm did many years ago when he built his turbo engine. This required having the block machined to fit a different kit. Not unusual when building a race engine - but again, if they are selling a kit to fit that engine it should actually fit that engine.

I have no need to come up with a "custom solution" at this point, happy to have a partial ARP kit in place, so we only have to waste three OE bolts when we tear down the engine.