Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
ScanGauge Question

I was watching YouTube and looking at some ScanGauge videos and I have some questions.

When I take my foot off the accelerator on my Yaris .. it displays 0.00 LHK (Litres Per Hundred Kilometers) after a couple of seconds. When I sit at a light I get 9999 on the display (same LHK).

But the videos I was watching .. when they took their foot off the gas they were getting 9999. I only get this type of reading when I sit at a light.

So .. I am wondering if I have my ScanGauge set properly (as I believe there is a setting for FUEL CUTOFF. I see that the default is 24. I have not changed this setting from the default.) It looks like I can set the Throttle Position Sensor TPS also. Has anyone set this on their ScanGauge in their Yaris ?

Any help would be appreciated.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
That is correct...

In deceleration, the ECU cuts the fuel, as engine power is not needed (a trick called DFCO, there's a lot of discussions about it if you search around). So, that means you would use 0 liters of fuel in 100km of this driving condition.

At a red light your engine is running and using fuel, but you are not gaining any distance. So you would use an infinite amount of fuel in this driving condition!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
That is correct...

In deceleration, the ECU cuts the fuel, as engine power is not needed (a trick called DFCO, there's a lot of discussions about it if you search around). So, that means you would use 0 liters of fuel in 100km of this driving condition.

At a red light your engine is running and using fuel, but you are not gaining any distance. So you would use an infinite amount of fuel in this driving condition!
Thanks for the reply .. so based on your input I would think that my ScanGauge is working properly. I guess that the YouTube video I watched was just different because it was actually a different ScanGauge model than the one I have.

I will actually check today if my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) seems to be set right ..
Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
they probably had theirs set for MPG (miles per gallon) or the metric equivalent. that would yield just the opposite results as what you got (or exactly what they specified).

more than likely, they are both operating properly. they are just reading different things. one is based on the distance where as the other is based on the fuel consumption.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
edmscan

I checked my Throttle Position ... and it was like 19 or 20 when I wasn't pressing on the gas. So according to the ScanGauge manual .. a setting of 24 should be about right. So .. I will leave it at the default.

It does make sense .. as LHK (Litres Per Hundred Kilometers) a lower number is better. But on MPG (Miles Per Gallon) a higher number is better. So that could be the difference as to how the unit displays.

When I am at a light I would get 9999 litres (a very high amount) and correspondingly you would have 0.00 Miles Per Gallon as you are not moving thus getting poor gas mileage. But in DFCO mode I would get 0.00 Liters and I would imagine 9999 MPG for a ScanGauge set for "Gallons".

I like to leave it on Litres (and LHK / AVG) .. as that's how we buy our fuel so I will leave my ScanGauge like it is.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
I wanna add some questions to this. Id like to know what other numbers people are getting on there gauges.. Just a curiosity thing.. What 4 you prefer to have on there..

I just got mine and I think im set on MPG, Horsepower, Inlet Air temperature, and the coolant temperature. Lastnight when i was driving home, 63 degree IAT I hit 128 HP, and earlier today with an IAT of 78 degrees it would only get up to 115 HP.. It was cool to see the differences.. Really loving this thing so far..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07typeS View Post
What 4 you prefer to have on there..
I just got mine and I think im set on MPG, Horsepower, Inlet Air temperature, and the coolant temperature.
I have a ScanGauge E ... and it will display 2 items. I have mine set to LHK (Litres Per Hundred Kilometers) and AVG (Average Fuel Economy). I always try to get an average of 5.5 L/100 KM (42.76 MPG US) for my average in the city.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I have (in my cavalier) MPG, average MPG, coolant temp, and IAT temp. (in the yaris) MPH, MPG, water temp, coolant temp, oil change interval, some other interval.

scangauge in the cavalier, ultragauge in the yaris.

the HP on that is more of a strange calculation. it isn't but so accurate. 128hp in a yaris is impressive. I know guys with superchargers that aren't getting that. I wouldn't put money on the accuracy of that setting.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
07typeS

Drives: 2007 White Toyota Yaris Type S
Send a message via AIM to 07typeS
lol yea i wasnt either.. I mean I agree in the horsepower difference with the temperature change, but not the actual horsepower number.. Why I wanted to know the numbers others were putting up..
TRD Springs w/ KYB Struts and Shocks, Custom CAI w/ K&N filter and pre filter wrap, Weapon R Header, Stock 15 inch alloys, Dezod Performance pads, Tanabe Front Strut Bar, 35% front door Tint and 20% Rear doors back Tint, De-Badged Ass, Custom painted flat black interior, Pioneer deh-p6700bt w/ IPOD hookup, Infinity components up front with custom mounted tweeter, Inifinity 6x9's out back, 1 12" kicker comp cvr........
07typeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:42 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Yeah that's some wishful thinking :D

I had mine set up similarly to others, instant and average MPGs, IAT and ignition timing

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
MPG, AVG MPG, MPH, and TPS for now. I like the MPH indication, it is more accurate than the regular speedometer. The MPG and AVG MPG help me the most to maximize my FE, that will stay. TPS I may change to something else from time to time. I have yet to do my first fuel up so it has not been adjusted yet, however, my car's Eco-meter read 51, and the SCII measured 53 AVG MPG for my trip to work this morning.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote