Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
2zr Monkey Wrench Racing Light Weight Flywheel Review

I've had this on the car now for a week or so. I haven't done much spirited driving or highway driving due to having a week off of clinic and the ridiculous amount of non stop rain we've had here for the past 4 days. I've gotten enough experience with it to give a review of at least the city driving or traffic characteristics.

Although this is for a 2zr engine, this would be a very similar review for the 1nz engine if you install a light weight flywheel. The flywheels is 8.8lbs and it is CNC machine steel. I chose this over the 8lb Fidanza aluminum flywheel as it was $50 less and it is resurfaceable. I also trust steel more than an aluminum flywheel for a dd since it is sitting right in front of my crotch and if something goes, it goes bad. Just google broken flywheels and you'll find out what can happen.

IMO this is how this car should have come from the factory. All of the reports about having to give more rpm's to shift into first gear or being a pain in the ass in traffic seem blown way out of proportion. If anything the only real changes good or bad with the flywheel are that it makes the shifting much smoother all around. You no longer have to wait for the revs to drop between up shifts. You can now shift very quickly and no longer have to worry about the rough shifts or "bucking" that the car does.

The other big improvement is with heel toe shifting. I like to rev match down shifts and because the yaris drive by wire throttle is brutal and has a terrible response I often found myself not giving enough throttle when rev matching. This has a lot to do with there being too much slack in the throttle pedal, but also due to the stock flywheel taking a while to spin up.

With the MR flywheel the revs go up much quicker so a slight blip on the throttle makes rev matching much smoother and easier. I have found no difficulties with stalling due to low rpms when moving from a stop. This is also likely because of the crappy nature of the Yaris throttle which you already have to give a decent amount of rpms even with the stock flywheel.

The car seems to pull harder and faster to redline and is more noticeable in 1st and 2nd gears. At faster speeds the flywheel is not noticeable. After a week or so of driving on the new flywheel you become accustomed to it and the faster time to redline doesn't seem as noticeable. That said, the car is much more smoother now and IMO even better as a dd then it was before.

This is a modification that I would highly recommend doing, especially if you have the engine or trans out of the car for any other reason ie: 2zr swap, replacing the clutch etc.

If you autox then you would be able to benefit from the faster spin up since you're mostly in lower gears. That said, if you have the 2zr, pulling the tranny from underneath sucks so you're best to wait until you're already pulling the engine or need a new clutch.

One small thing I noticed and I don't know if it is specific to the flywheel or if I just started noticing it now. But under harder acceleration the engine make a quiet type of "whine" noise. Almost like a supercharger, but quieter. Might have nothing to do with the flywheel but I just started noticing it after I installed the flywheel.

I'll update this with any new info as I drive it more. Waiting on some dry weather to go for a "canyon" run (damn our lack of canyons)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
I've run the Fidanza flywheel on my 1NZ for nearly 10 years now with a 2ZZ clutch. I probably have over 150,000km on it without issue. It's 8.0lbs and I noticed everything you do about it when I installed it. Only difference is I have a close ratio C160 gearbox and cable throttle. So when cold, trying to go slowly in 1st gear an letting off the throttle results in some pretty violent bucking.

I've been thinking pretty hard about a 3.9FD swap from MWR to improve my mileage and drivability, but the exchange rate makes it too dam expensive. With shipping + duty, it would be close to $1000. Stock FD is 4.5
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
tmontague

Ya no kidding, the exchange rate is absolutely garbage right now.

If there wasn't a steel flywheel option I wouldn't have hesitated to go with the Fidanza, it just made more sense for me to have the steel one. By no means are the Fidanza ones fragile or prone to failure, it's just that the ones that do fail are generally all aluminum where as the steel ones tend to have zero issues.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive driven fidanaza's HARD with 2zzge-equipped cars w/o issue

glad you like the flywheel, trevor

@bluevitz, im moving to MI next week...im quickly becoming a shipping depot for friends if you need something. i'll also be 2h from MWR
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I really should have installed this flywheel as well, but with the 4.3 FD I'm not even sure if I'd notice...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
benoityip

Drives: Corolla 1.8
I installed this MWR flywheel today, the mechanic is complaining the flywheel is touching the starter motor. The clearance between the flywheel and the engine is a little bit too short. Is that my problem?
Have asked MWR for answer, not very happy now
benoityip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 AM   #7
tmontague

I never had an issue with mine. Are you saying that your flywheel teeth are toughing the starter gear when it is recessed once the engine has been started?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:54 AM   #8
benoityip

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I never had an issue with mine. Are you saying that your flywheel teeth are toughing the starter gear when it is recessed once the engine has been started?
All sorted, it is because I have a six gears gear box. This is expected and no drama.

I have no drivability or noise issue after a short drive

I am yet to feel anything, but will find out soon
Old 09-29-2018, 09:09 PM   #9
benoityip

Have done some driving. Here is my feeling

Car is more responsive in 2nd gear. 3rd gear feels not much.

No noise at idle. Only a metallic noise when releasing the clutch for a split second.

Need to feel the new friction point again. As it is not progressive anymore. It is a very sudden friction point

I have done it altogether with new clutch, Quaife LSD after 60K miles.

Next upgrade is MWR camshaft stage 1 as it is currently lacking power at high rpm.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I had another chance to buy the MWR flywheel and same story...I decided to wait until next year(if I still own the car).

After what I spent on the LSD, new bearings, and WPC treatment.....I need a breather lol.

On a side note, I did impulse buy the NST pulley because it’s on sale. Lol $118
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #11
benoityip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
I had another chance to buy the MWR flywheel and same story...I decided to wait until next year(if I still own the car).

After what I spent on the LSD, new bearings, and WPC treatment.....I need a breather lol.

On a side note, I did impulse buy the NST pulley because it’s on sale. Lol $118
I tested on another day with the flywheel. Shocked by the amount of acceleration in 1st and 2nd. Rolling start from 1st gear generates wheelspin up to second gear on dry road with my ec60 gear box

My 0-100 time now is estimated to be 7.3 seonds.

Don't use nst pulley, mine one broke into three pieces after 50000km driving. And with the flywheel on, dampening is more important I think.

I also have LSD installed
Old 10-18-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

for sake of interest:

here is a dyno of my 04 XRS vs a friends 04 XRS plotting HP and TQ versus time. both 3rd gear runs. my XRS made 171whp 124wtq, my friends made 173hp 126wtq. my XRS had a fidanza flywheels (7.5lb) and his had oem (13lb).

notice that my XRS hit lift (6500rpm) almost a half second earlier than his did.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #13
tmontague

Hmm interesting graph with time on the x axis. Never thought about it affecting lift earlier
Old 10-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Back when I had interesting ideas, lol
Old 10-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #15
benoityip

Not sure why u don't pick up hp in dyno. I pick up 9whp.

Below is another article from superstreetonline

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ct-or-fiction/

Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 AM   #16
benoityip

I just replied to my thread
2zz owners won't see a big difference in dyno because their oem flywheel is already light, only 13lbs

We, as 2zr owners, oem flywheel is 20lbs

Also, here is the flywheel weight of other cars oem
Honda type r (NA) : around 10lbs
Toyota 2zz: 13lbs
Renault clio 197: around 11lbs
Toyota 86: 20lbs

So some oem stock flywheel are very light. If we don't upgrade our flywheel, we are penalising ourselves.

I picked up a lot of power in dyno using light weight flywheel because the oem flywheel is too heavy.