Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 PM   #1
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Transmission swap 05 Echo

I've searched this every way I can imagine, seen it asked a number of times, but never seen an answer.

Is an Xa/Xb trans a direct bolt in for the Echo?

I'm not a fan of the 3.5 final drive in the Echo. I know there are other FD options, and would probably prefer a 4.1 but the 4.3 would probably be fine. If it doesn't work out (though I think it will) I would still have my stock trans to swap final drives from something else.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
yes they are
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Direct swap

Will make commuting at highway speeds terrible
Old 01-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #4
suprf1y

Thanks guys.

I was pretty sure but I read that there were some differences between the years like mounting brackets, etc. and saw no definitive answer. I will grab one.

I know some people don't like the higher RPM's but it doesn't bother me and my commute is 100% secondary and country roads so I don't think it's going to be a problem.

It looks like it should be about 3100 RPM at 100 km/hr which, to me, is about right for a car like this.
When I was commuting into the GTA and driving the Suzuki's one of the first things I would do is to swap in a 4.39 gear from a later 3cyl. car so at about 120 km/hr I was revving ~4000RPM and I was ok with that.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

I used to drive Waterloo-London in the #wrecho and appreciated the lower final drive @125kph. But I mean the car interior is already loud...what’s another 400rpm when you’re alone?

I just took the family up to traverse city, mi in the #wrecho last weekend and found it pretty loud to drive 2.5h with other people
Old 01-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #6
suprf1y

Hah! Try commuting from Waterford to Mississauga in a stripped Swift GTi revving 4100 RPM on 185 55 14 Nankangs!

I drove the 87 Firefly turbo to work for a summer. It's 1450lbs with racing seats and few creature comforts. There's a bag of earplugs in the glove compartment

I find the Echo refreshingly comfortable and quiet
Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Yeah, I just drove my echo from grand rapids to Detroit. Roads here are brutal, but it’s liveable even on a sport suspension with 14 inch winter tires. It doesn’t help that my wife spun the car into a snowbank last winter, so the rear fender plastics are missing. It adds more road noise to the cabin with those missing. Especially at 80mph!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
I was very happy after my swap to the xb transmission, it was definitely worth the high revs on the highway. Stock gearing is terrible
Old 02-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
I was very happy after my swap to the xb transmission, it was definitely worth the high revs on the highway. Stock gearing is terrible
Some day I’ll swap...when the car is no longer a daily driver

@johnny: good to see you’re still around! How’s the Prius V?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 PM   #10
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
Some day I’ll swap...when the car is no longer a daily driver

@johnny: good to see you’re still around! How’s the Prius V?

The Prius is awesome, although I'm obsessed with fuel mileage now averaging 4.7L/100 km. It creeps up closer to 5.0L/100km in the winter
Sad to say, I decided to get rid of my echo. It went to a good home though, a co-worker. He has spent the winter going over the whole car and taking stuff apart/doing maintenance and improvements. He plans to track it so upgrades are also coming soon (some stiff coilovers, race seat/belts and probably a cage)
My dad passed along his Mustang to me, so thats my toy now
Old 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #11
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
Johnny, please let the new owner know that there is a small group of us that do track days together. He is more than welcome.

Have him email me at: ron@racehavenhobbies.com for more info if he wants to come out with us.

Anyone else for that matter, if you have a Toyota Yaris or Echo and want to come out to track days please email me........

Cheers,
Ron
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #12
suprf1y

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
I only just started driving this car regularly and you're right, the gearing is horrible. It would be fine for a commuter, maybe ideal, but for any sporty driving it's absolutely horrible.

Where do you do the track days and what's involved? I may come out if I don't have to do any special prep work to the car.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
Ronnie V

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
Where do you do the track days and what's involved? I may come out if I don't have to do any special prep work to the car.
We go to Toronto Motorsports Park.....mostly on Wed and Fri evenings. It is open to any and all street cars. No safety equipment required other than whats needed for the street.

If you don't want to do any prep to your car then the track days may not be for you.

Cheers,
Ron
Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #14
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It is a fun evening for sure but as Ron said even a moderately driven var on the track needs some basic prep. TMP is very liberal with what they allow on the track but to do it safely there is a minimum of stuff you need to prep and maintain
Old 03-28-2019, 06:02 PM   #15
suprf1y

Quote:
I may come out if I don't have to do any special prep work to the car.
I was not referring to regular maintenance. More like coolant, safety wiring, wheel weights, that kind of stuff.

Any pad recommendations, and what helmet is required?
Old 03-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #16
Ronnie V

Ah......very good then. :)

No helmet required.......standard track day rules in effect.

Probably hawk blues and some better than decent brake fluid. TMP is tough on brakes.......
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 PM   #17
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
I was not referring to regular maintenance. More like coolant, safety wiring, wheel weights, that kind of stuff.

Any pad recommendations, and what helmet is required?
As Ron stated, TMP will pretty much allow you to take any street set up to their track. They allow coolant on their track and don't really do any sort of pre ride sign off.

It's your call on pads and how long/well they hold up entirely depends on your tires and even more importantly, how hard you want to brake in the braking zones. My first 2 track days were on old race slicks and Hawk HPS pads (performance street). I thought they were fine until the next season when I started working on late braking and glazed over 2 sets of pads rendering them downright scary and useless. I now use a track pad (Carbotech xp-10) but they are not really that great on the street as they have poor stopping power when cold.

Hawk Blue's as Ron stated will likely be more than adequate, or a Carbotech pad that is less aggressive like an AX-6. I use brake fluid from Canadian tire, the OEM brand makes a "performance" DOT 3 which has a dry boiling point just under 500F. I have never had an issue with fluid even when my rotors started turning blue, I just bleed the fluid every couple track days. That fluid is about $19 per liter vs around double the price for something like Motul 600 fluid. Yaris' are light cars and are not overly hard on brakes but TPM is a tight track with a lot of hard braking.

Just double check all of the maintenance things like fluids and make sure your radiator is clean/clear of crap. It's a great way to get out frustration, learn how to be a better driver and have fun in a safe environment. Oh and the Yaris group is a good bunch of people which makes it that much better.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I was pretty sure but I read that there were some differences between the years like mounting brackets, etc. and saw no definitive answer. I will grab one.

I know some people don't like the higher RPM's but it doesn't bother me and my commute is 100% secondary and country roads so I don't think it's going to be a problem.

It looks like it should be about 3100 RPM at 100 km/hr which, to me, is about right for a car like this.
When I was commuting into the GTA and driving the Suzuki's one of the first things I would do is to swap in a 4.39 gear from a later 3cyl. car so at about 120 km/hr I was revving ~4000RPM and I was ok with that.
Oh? I never thought the manual transmission had a short final as well?
I had a 3spd auto Swift with the G16A carb engine. That thing revved 4000rpm at 120kmh as well.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk