Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Thumbs up DC header, AEM cai and MI lightweight crank pulley install

Today, a buddy of mine and I installed a DC ceramic coated header, an AEM cold air intake and a micro image lightweight pulley at his shop. Install for everything took about 2 hours and 20 mins and I couldn't be happier. Note: this is on my 2011 yaris rs hatchback MT.

The install of the mi crank pulley and aem CAI took an hour and then another hour 20 mins for the header. I replaced the belt when I did the pulley and the header gasket and donut gasket when i did the header and i replaced them all with Toyota parts. The install was super easy, the DC header took all of the original studs and bolts with no issues, I didn't break anything or have a hard time with removing anything and the fit was just spot on, I mean, DC did a really good job with proper fitting of this product. The only thing I didn't reuse was the original heat shield for the header as there is no way it bolts back to the DC header. But the DC header is ceramic coated so in essence it should keep the external heat down anyway. The mi crank pulley was a breeze, went right in and the aem CAI fit like a glove. The first thing I did before doing all the work was disconnect the battery to give sufficient time for the ecu to reset itself for the relearn process after all the work was done. Note, having a hoist is the best thing in the world. If you have access to one; utilize it!

After everything was bolted up I cranked her up and right away I could tell that there was a huge difference. The pulley allows the car to rev quicker which really helps easing out take offs from a dead start and the car just doesn't feel like a slug anymore in the bottom end. I have zero check engine lights and at first the car ran a low idle when I started it and let it idle for about 10 mins and it actually shut off once or twice. But after driving for about 20 mins she leveled right back out and sits healthy at 600rpm.

The CAI just sounds amazing, not obnoxious but a great grunt at wot and you can really feel it pulling when the car gets to about 2 grand all the way up to about 5k.

The header really opens up the power band just before 4k all the way to the top and sort of changed the note of the exhaust but more importantly delivers a smooth power delivery.

I think the biggest gains are found with everything bolted up and working together. I think, if doing these mods one at a time it will be difficult to guage any gains but when done all together you really notice a huge difference. All of these parts together really made a huge difference. I have been disappointed in the past with bolt on mods in other cars and I was expecting a similar experience with these mods but I was grining ear to ear all day after the mods were done as I really notice a substantial increase.

Big thanks to Garm from micro image for not only being a stand up guy and one hell of an entrepreneur but for also making a quality product. His crank pulley truly is a specimen! Thanks big guy!

I snapped a whole bunch of pics of the header as the install was going on and due to the excitement I never snapped any pics of the CAI and pulley Lol. So I'll post the pics of the headers and then update tomorrow with pics of the pulley and CAI.

Pics:

Pulley (sorry the picture sucks. Didn't feel like getting under the car to snap a pic of it)

For reference, the only other perormance mod related to the engine I have on the car is a TRD axle back exhaust.

Thanks!

Last edited by aspro; 08-15-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: more pictures
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
aspro

This is weird. I was driving the car around hard for about 20 mins. Parked it for about 10 minutes and then when I cranked her up the belt squeeled really quickly (quick 2 second squeel) and then ran normally. As mentioned above I replaced the belt with a new OEM Toyota belt. Anyone else have this issue after installing an mi light weight crank pulley?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
Make sure the tension on the belt is set correctly. Right now I am assuming it is a bit loose, which causes the squealing noise at start-up. On a new belt, there should be approximately 7mm to 8.5mm of deflection when you press against the belt at the longest span (between the crank and alternator pulleys) in the middle. Specifications for a used belt is between 11mm to 13mm of deflection.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then check to see if your belt has been glazed due to running the belt loose. If so, then you may have to replace it again.
“On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high.” ― Ayrton Senna
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestylin View Post
Make sure the tension on the belt is set correctly. Right now I am assuming it is a bit loose, which causes the squealing noise at start-up. On a new belt, there should be approximately 7mm to 8.5mm of deflection when you press against the belt at the longest span (between the crank and alternator pulleys) in the middle. Specifications for a used belt is between 11mm to 13mm of deflection.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then check to see if your belt has been glazed due to running the belt loose. If so, then you may have to replace it again.
Thanks! Yeah I figured the belt, because it is new and has maybe stretched a bit or I just never tightened it properly to begin with. I`m going to tighten it up tomorrow and hopefully that will be the end of that. I was just concerned because you can drive it hard all day long and it doesn't slip, only when the motor has cooled down and you go to start it that it slips really quickly.

Last edited by aspro; 08-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:34 AM   #5
firebird1999us

Drives: 2003 Mach 1
Was there a big increase in exhaust volume with the header?
firebird1999us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:06 AM   #6
aspro

No not really. If anything the tone has become deeper. The TRD axle back is pretty mellow to begin with and I was concerned the header was going to make it high pitched but it didn't - just a nice mellow deep tone and zero cabin drone. If anything, the intake made everything louder but not abnoxiouse in anyway. But the header does need some break in time so it may get louder but I can't imagine it will be noticeable.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
DJYojimbo

Drives: 2012 Grey Toyota Yaris SE
did you remove the negative on the battery so that the ecu can relearn?
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #8
aspro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJYojimbo View Post
did you remove the negative on the battery so that the ecu can relearn?
Yes I did.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...

Tags
aem, dcusa, header, microimage