Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #559
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1nzfe View Post
Great product, lasted me 50000km of use.
For the record, I had never seen something like this happen to an NST pulley before. You should let Mike know about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath1812 View Post
geez... i have the crank lite pulley, the w/p and alt were going to be my next purchase. maybe not....
WP and ALT pulleys are much smaller and sturdier. I'd be willing to bet they're impossible to break.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:14 AM   #560
sito

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
For the record, I had never seen something like this happen to an NST pulley before. You should let Mike know about this.

WP and ALT pulleys are much smaller and sturdier. I'd be willing to bet they're impossible to break.

But bro, the pulley shown is a water pump pulley, if i'm not wrong.
sito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #561
goliath1812

Drives: 2010 Prius, 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post

+1
goliath1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:00 AM   #562
d1nzfe

Drives: 1NZ-FE
Quote:

Yes, I trust them , hence this is my 2nd purchase, after my 1st got damaged in an accident. BUT no i'm not going to get another again. End of the road for me.
d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #563
moh

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I just bought it last week ..
still in the delivery
|Blitz S/C|aFe Intake|NST SSK|NST Busing kit|Ralco Short Shifter|Dastek Unichip type Q|Dastek Throttle Control|1ZZ Injectors|1ZZ TB|Custom Header|Custom Exhaust|Head Porting|Momo Drifting Steering wheel|Momo shiftknob|Denso Irridium Sparks|Buddy Club P1 Racing Wheels|195/50/R15|Tanabe NF Coilover|Goodrich SS brake lines|Ultra Racing Front Strutbar|NRG Grounding kit|Custom Grill|Custom Eyelid|Rear Sway bar|
moh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #564
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
Damn you're right! Looked to me like the crank pulley the first time.
Well I'll be...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM   #565
d1nzfe

FYI its the water pump pulley.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #566
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
It's strange there has been no reply from Mike from NST. I've sent him a pm and a pm on facebook. Has anyone else tried to contact him about this?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 AM   #567
Vioz

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Vioz
Damn that is crazy now I'm worried about my WP pulley because the belt is making a grove into it and I'm afraid its going to give in any day now, but my friend is a mechanic he said it's fine.
Vioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #568
goliath1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
It's strange there has been no reply from Mike from NST. I've sent him a pm and a pm on facebook. Has anyone else tried to contact him about this?
This is something I can't stand. You would at least think he would reply in some way, even if it's a simple "We're looking into the problem.".
Old 06-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #569
tk-421
Super Moderator

If you take the time to review this very thread, you can see how Mike always answers all posts. Just give it some time.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #570
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
If you take the time to review this very thread, you can see how Mike always answers all posts. Just give it some time.
I'm not slamming Mike. I know he answers questions about his products. Normally this is done promptly and within a day. This time no response as yet. Maybe he's on holiday or something. I'd just like too see what he says about this issue.

From what I've been told we don't need a dampener on these pullys. But that pulley that's come apart looks like metal fatigue, maybe caused by no dampener.

A lot of us have this product or similar, so we all have a vested interest in Mike's response. I need my car to get to work, I know how much better it performs with the CR Lite Crank Pulley, but if it's going to shatter and smash into pieces in my engine bay doing damage, maybe I should go back to stock pulley.

I am aware that the failed pulley shown is the water pump pulley. I have not heard of a failed NST crank pulley.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #571
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
From what I've been told we don't need a dampener on these pullys. But that pulley that's come apart looks like metal fatigue, maybe caused by no dampener.
The dampener/no dampener subject has been discussed and rediscussed ad-nauseaum on this very thread.

Additionally, the dampener/no dampener subject only applies to crank pulleys. The broken pulley in question is not a crank pulley, hence there's no point in bringing it up. The stock WP pulley does not have a dampener.

Quote:
I am aware that the failed pulley shown is the water pump pulley. I have not heard of a failed NST crank pulley.
Exactly. No need to worry over nothing. Every product out there is prone to damage due to various factors -- some could be attributed to the manufacturer, others to the consumers and the way they (mis)use them.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #572
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
....The broken pulley in question is not a crank pulley, hence there's no point in bringing it up. The stock WP pulley does not have a dampener.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG*
I am aware that the failed pulley shown is the water pump pulley...
Ummm i've already stated it's the water pump pulley Bernie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421
Exactly. No need to worry over nothing. Every product out there is prone to damage due to various factors -- some could be attributed to the manufacturer, others to the consumers and the way they (mis)use them.
Bernie,

I'll choose what, when, why and how I worry over things, I always have and will. Why are you making a mountain out of a mole hill? This is for Mike to answer, isn't it?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #573
tk-421
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ummm i've already stated it's the water pump pulley Bernie.
I know that, buddy. Which is why there's no need to bring up the dampener subject, is there?

Quote:
I'll choose what, when, why and how I worry over things, I always have and will.
That's fine and dandy. I'm just trying to avoid you a headache over imaginary problems. Worry away if you must.

Quote:
Why are you making a mountain out of a mole hill?
As you can see, it is not me who is making said mountain (or interested in doing so). I am, however, trying to help protect a brand that I happen to be a supporter of.

Having one (allegedly) faulty pulley (out of hundreds if not thousands of pulleys made by NST) potentially damage the reputation of a company that is backed by the tuning/performance scene in general but also these forums in particular doesn't seem like fair treatment to me, especially since we don't have enough facts about this particular case to reach any kind of conclusion either way.

Also, having someone post a potentially damaging post without consulting with the fabricator first doesn't seem fair to me either. But I guess that's just me.

Last edited by tk-421; 06-23-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: grammar :P
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #574
*MAD DOG*

Quote:
This is for Mike to answer, isn't it?
Yes, yes it is.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #575
goliath1812

Quote:
Also, having someone post a potentially damaging post without consulting with the fabricator first doesn't seem fair to me either. But I guess that's just me.
Seems perfectly fair to me. He's just trying to show everyone what happened in his case. Is it only fair for people to rant and rave about products, but when one fails, you're not allowed to tell anyone about it?? This is a simple "be aware of" thread, and sure, it would be nice to have contacted Mike first and he would be getting a replacement right now, but it still deserves to be info that is available for everyone to see what happened in this case.
It doesn't seem to be ruining Mike's reputation, we have pages and pages of nothing but praise for his pulleys, this it just another view on the subject of what can possibly go wrong.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #576
d1nzfe

If u can still see my past posts, i did post on this thread before asking about this pulley. I have post some doubts on the wear and even post a pic on it long ago.I have great confidence in the product. But it fail me after 50000km++ so its the end of NST road for me. This is a fact.