Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Yaris #2

Because one isn't enough!

Okay, it's not for me. My dad wants to replace the cargo van he's been using for the past 7 years or so. He used it to haul plants around, but that's not his job anymore. He originally had his eyes on a Fit, but when I brought my Yaris up to visit over the holidays, he fell in love with it. I've had one eye on craigslist for the past month or so, and on Saturday, this popped up:

2007, 118k miles, $3,500. I reached out to him less than an hour after he posted it. It was originally bought in Long Beach, and not driven much until it was traded in to a Mercedes dealership in Arizona in 2012. The brother of one of the salesmen, a Border Patrol agent in Yuma, bought it. He later transferred to ICE and moved to the Phoenix metro area. Then, he bought a Tacoma, and I bought his Yaris, on my parent's behalf.

It has all the power options, an armrest, and the trick rear seat I like so much.

It does not have cruise control, which is a problem I need to fix. It also has one of these. It's what my parents wanted.

I thought that knob was aftermarket when I saw it, but it's not. It's the "sport shift knob," Toyota part# PTS22-52061. It also has the "sport" pedal covers, which I'd never seen before.

The wheels are also stock. I only knew about the fat 5-spoke ones, but these are the "EM 7" wheels, part# PT904-52041. Apparently they were more common on Scion cars. I could steal them for my car and my parents wouldn't mind (they might not even notice), but I'm having too much fun with hubcaps.

I'm going clean it up, do some maintenance on it, then drive it up to them in Oregon. I was planning on selling the van for them, too, but they're just giving it to me instead. I'll drive it back home and sell it here. It has lots of room for sleeping.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Congrats (technically to your parents)! Yeah, those 7-spoke wheels were a rare option on the Yaris. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't come with the optional taillights since it came with the pedals, knob, and the wheels.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Nice looking Yaris! I wish the paint on my 08 held up as well as it has on that car!

I have the same shift knob. Warn your Dad that it gets extremely hot when the car's been left in the sun all day!

And I've never used the cruise control on my 08 liftback. It's a waste of money if you ask me!

The armrest looks like it's seen better days as well!

Cheers! M2
Old 03-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
like the 2 door model
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Congrats (technically to your parents)! Yeah, those 7-spoke wheels were a rare option on the Yaris. I'm a bit surprised that it didn't come with the optional taillights since it came with the pedals, knob, and the wheels.
Do you mean the ones you put on Dory? Those look pretty sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Nice looking Yaris! I wish the paint on my 08 held up as well as it has on that car!

I have the same shift knob. Warn your Dad that it gets extremely hot when the car's been left in the sun all day!

And I've never used the cruise control on my 08 liftback. It's a waste of money if you ask me!

The armrest looks like it's seen better days as well!

Cheers! M2
The PO said it was garage-kept until recently, and the paint says he doesn't lie. It's in much better shape than mine.

No problem about the sun; they don't see much of it in Oregon!

My parents wanted cruise, and honestly, it's worth the $50 or so just for me on the drive up.

Yes, the armrest is pretty faded. All the ones I've seen on craigslist are just as bad, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
like the 2 door model
So I've heard.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Do you mean the ones you put on Dory? Those look pretty sweet.
Nah, those are the Vitz RS taillights (mines are replicas).

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/br...2008-yaris.pdf

The first pic has the optional taillights I was referring to.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #7
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nah, those are the Vitz RS taillights (mines are replicas).

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/br...2008-yaris.pdf

The first pic has the optional taillights I was referring to.
Hmm... I really like your Vitz ones, but I'm not sold on those.

Good idea about the air ducts. I'll do that. I went a step further on my Metro...

Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Hmm... I really like your Vitz ones, but I'm not sold on those.

Good idea about the air ducts. I'll do that. I went a step further on my Metro...

You can probably find rep RS taillights on eBay or Amazon. Just be aware that there are no reflectors in them.

Wow, you removed the entire dash!? That's dedication.

I just stuck the Blitz hybrid cabin filter into the Yaris from the FR-S after I washed it and sun charged it. Still about 3/4" to 1" of gap total on the sides, but I figured it's better than not having a filter (and really don't feel like spending another $53 to get the filter specifically for the Yaris.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
What a cool find. I'm going to look into the part number for what you described as the 'sport' pedals. I'm subscribed to a thread about using some Lexus pedals and Sparco pedals, but didn't realize there was a factory option.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:06 PM   #10
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
What a cool find. I'm going to look into the part number for what you described as the 'sport' pedals. I'm subscribed to a thread about using some Lexus pedals and Sparco pedals, but didn't realize there was a factory option.
Sport pedals:

They're just covers, actually. Mine are different than what you would need, with the double-wide brake pedal, but the 3-pedal part number is PTS22-52063. They were discontinued years ago, but if you search for that number on eBay, you'll see lots of identical-looking knockoffs for ≈$30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabuu View Post
Right on!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
...They're just covers, actually. Mine are different than what you would need, with the double-wide brake pedal, but the 3-pedal part number is PTS22-52063. They were discontinued years ago, but if you search for that number on eBay, you'll see lots of identical-looking knockoffs for ≈$30.
TY, sir!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
They were a dealer installed option at the time but after Toyota had the unintended acceleration issue several years ago they stopped selling them. You can occasionally fine a set on eBay although I haven't seen the Yaris specific model in years. They were made by OBX / Autobahn Kraftwerks.

You have a manual trans right? The part number is PTS22-52063. They look like this:
Attached Images

NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:16 PM   #13
Dabuu
Radical Dreamer

Drives: spiritedly.
Right on!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #14
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

While the paint has held up really well, the headlights had pretty bad cataracts.

The PO had bought a $12 Turtle Wax restoration kit, but never got around to using it. He gave it to me instead. It includes four little foam-backed sandpaper pads in increasingly fine grit, some polishing paste, and a UV sealant. I wet-sanded the heck out of them, then polished and sealed them. They look passable now, but they look worse in person than they do in the picture.

I also detailed the interior, scrubbing all the plastic and going over all the upholstery and carpet with Simple Green and carpet vac. It really didn't need the upholstery cleaning, but you never know what that black interior is hiding until you see what the wet vac pulls up. Not much, it turns out. This guy was very neat.

I'll be doing the exterior this weekend. I'll hit the engine bay, too. Did I mention this car spent a few years in Yuma?

I called the dealer to check up on recalls, and none of them have been done. The seats might unexpectedly come loose, the horn and driver's airbag might stop working, the lock switch might burst into flames, and the passenger airbag might explode into shrapnel and kill everyone. So yeah, it needs a little work. It's got an appointment for Monday morning.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Wow, that Yaris is sandbagging! ba dun dun

All joking aside, I'd pull off the cowl to get access to the cabin air ducting to remove the induction piece and clean out.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #16
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
don't forget your seatbelt might catch that piece of foam on fire...
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #17
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Oh yeah, the pretentioners. So, after shrapnel from the airbag kills me, the seatbelts will give me a proper cremation.

But nevermind all that. The load capacity sticker is incorrect! I refuse to drive it until that sticker is replaced!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #18
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Nice Yaris. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Congrats.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote