Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #1
tamrat

Drives: 2009 Yaris, 1994 HiLux Surf
1KR-FE hatchback vs 2NZ-FE Sedan

Hello people, I don't know if I ever posted in here (I cant access anything). anyways after what feels like an eternity I am finally getting myself a Yaris. The Yaris is one of my dream cars (well not "the dream" car but you get my point).

I live in Ethiopia where there is a huge market of used imported cars. Pople rarely buy new cars from dealerships, maybe thats because there is only one Toyota dealership in the country or maybe because it charges an arm and leg. So my choices are limited to used imported cars.

I found a beautiful 2011 Toyota Yaris Hatchback which I fell in love with instantly. But to my disappointment it had the alien 1KR-FE engine (frankly, I never knew Toyota had 3cyl). Fortunately its a manual transmission. It has a climate control display with single zone auto AC. And it also has 4-wheel disc brakes (is that even possible?)

My other choice is a 2009 Yaris Sedan with the 1.3L 2NZ-FE engine. I had the opportunity to use a similar car a little while ago and I loved it. The power and the fuel economy was more than brilliant.

Both cars have a similar price tag (21,500 US dollars if you are interested). The 1KR seems a bit more economical if I can tolerate the power difference to the 2NZ. I will know that after a test drive. But which is better in your opinion? And can someone explain how the Yaris has 4-wheel disc brakes?

Thanks,

Edit: I am able to access my CP now and found out that I had already asked the rear disc brake thing here. You can ignore that part.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
$21,500
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
codemonkey23

Drives: 2015 Toyota Vios
woah that's a lot of money, in the philippines you can have the brand new for only 15000$

my Vote Goes toYaris Sedan..

i suppose that 2nzfe engine is the balanced engine you can have for yaris either hatchback or sedan. than 1kr-fe

if you will drive around city with AC i think you should go with 4 cylinder.

but if you prefer Maintenance Cost and Fuel Efficiency.. go with 3 cylinder.

i am not saying 2nz-fe is not fuel efficient, here in our country where traffic is our breakfast. we get a mileage of 10km/Li of gas :) and if highway drives.. it yields around 14 km/Li.

you just have to take note of the power / weight ratio.. and take note that a 4 cylinder with 80 Hp and a 3 cylinder 80 hp, the 4 cylinder performs well since there will be no power idle on it's 4 stroke cycle.. the response is linear thus stepping on the gas gives direct feedback...

another thing rear disc brakes are does not matter anyway.. drum brakes stops better than disc and it is usually used only for hand brakes.. the foot brakes controls the front brakes more than the rear. disc brakes is good for heat dissipation, since i suppose its a daily car not a race car, i don't think you need to have that much heat dissipation.

just know your priorities both cars are great :)
codemonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
tamrat

I know right...the price tag is ridiculous. (More numbers because why not: brand new 2014 Yaris - 52,000USD...brand new 2015 Land Cruiser - 225,000USD...yup)

anyways back to topic. much to my disappointment the sedan was in terrible condition so thats outta question. i guess I will be getting the 1kr hatchback. not a whole lotta traffic here if you travel on specific hours so I hope i get good fuel economy in the city.

plus I want the rear disc brakes just for aesthetics. they look much nicer than a drum.

thanks,
Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #5
codemonkey23

Drives: 2015 Toyota Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamrat View Post
I know right...the price tag is ridiculous. (More numbers because why not: brand new 2014 Yaris - 52,000USD...brand new 2015 Land Cruiser - 225,000USD...yup)

anyways back to topic. much to my disappointment the sedan was in terrible condition so thats outta question. i guess I will be getting the 1kr hatchback. not a whole lotta traffic here if you travel on specific hours so I hope i get good fuel economy in the city.

plus I want the rear disc brakes just for aesthetics. they look much nicer than a drum.

thanks,
its nice to hear that you got yourself a decision :)

yeah you are right it's nice to have disc brakes for aesthetics :)

congratulations to your new car
codemonkey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 AM   #6
tamrat

i finally managed to get my Yaris. really happy with it overall. power was way way below what I expected but I guess it will do. its got rear disc brakes which I'm crazy about. done about 100km of driving so far. the onboard MPG reader tells me that I'm averaging 5.5L/100KM. i can't really complain about the fuel economy...its just amazing.