Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #55
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
i have and will continue to mod my yaris. for speed and a custom look. don't see what's wrong with that. sorry i don't have the desire to drive like an old woman. and sorry i don't want everything on my car to be stock looking.

to me the stock yaris has enough power, yes, but why not make a hobby out of trying to make it faster. some of us actually like learning about and working on cars. why can't that car be the yaris? one could argue that no matter what car you are modding there is always going to be another one that's faster.

and btw i don't know that i've ever broke a sweat and bled while wrapping a gift.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #56
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
and btw i don't know that i've ever broke a sweat and bled while wrapping a gift.
Nor have I ever looked at a wrapped gift with real pride for a job well done. :)

Mainly cause all my wrapping jobs look like crap. :p
Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #57
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
so that makes me an asshole because i have a "crotch rocket"??? dont even get me started further with this...that was a very stupid comment.
You're right. You are not an asshole. I'm thankful that you're an organ donor. 80% of the livers for transplant come from motorcycle traumas. I'm thankful for all the hearts, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and corneas. I thank you in advance.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #58
staticorex

Drives: Sc'd Yaris Sedan.
Ha. That's mean.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #59
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
You're right. You are not an asshole. I'm thankful that you're an organ donor. 80% of the livers for transplant come from motorcycle traumas. I'm thankful for all the hearts, kidneys, lungs, pancreas and corneas. I thank you in advance.
im not an organ donor. and plus the majority of motorcycle accidents happen because people in cars dont know how to drive. i cant count on 2 hands how many times ive almost been killed on the interstate alone because some jackoff doesnt check his blindspot. point being in my first statement is dont make a rash comment like what was said before because you cant always judge someone if you dont know them.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #60
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
im not an organ donor. and plus the majority of motorcycle accidents happen because people in cars dont know how to drive. i cant count on 2 hands how many times ive almost been killed on the interstate alone because some jackoff doesnt check his blindspot.
i'd have to agree. that's why i sold my scooter. although i am an organ donor i'd prefer not to be one any time soon.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #61
Havoc
Zee Bold Novice

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

Let's not embellish things.
I see your point, but lighten up man. Sorry if that REALLY bothered anyone.
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #62
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
I don;t believe i've ever seen a thread go so far off track. This car has plenty of pep for my driving, I'de just wreck a faster car.

I which I caould find better handle out of thii car I have the TRD Shock..springs.Rear sway bar, and it is still dangerously understears. I'm going to try the camber bolts, whish I cauld find a DIY threard on the camber bolts.

But all in all 0-60 in under 8 seconds is fast enough for communting. The curves and hills on my commute are the issue. Nothing like my Koni suspensioned EG civic. The Yaris handling is quirky, very responsive but quirky and that damn understeer prevents me from testing the limits of the car.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #63
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I don;t believe i've ever seen a thread go so far off track. This car has plenty of pep for my driving, I'de just wreck a faster car.

I which I caould find better handle out of thii car I have the TRD Shock..springs.Rear sway bar, and it is still dangerously understears. I'm going to try the camber bolts, whish I cauld find a DIY threard on the camber bolts.

But all in all 0-60 in under 8 seconds is fast enough for communting. The curves and hills on my commute are the issue. Nothing like my Koni suspensioned EG civic. The Yaris handling is quirky, very responsive but quirky and that damn understeer prevents me from testing the limits of the car.
it's front wheel drive!! what do you expect? it is meant to understeer.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #64
regal

nah I properly setup FWD can be neutral
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #65
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
nah I properly setup FWD can be neutral
what he said.... dam straight. You can make it good enough to be neutral on turns.... then it rocks =).

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #66
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
Try an aftermarket intake.i bought an AEM..i did and it made a great improvement in Hp and TQ as well as using 91 octane gas..u have to give the chance for the ecu to adjust..once it does ..it becomes much quicker and still gets 40+mpg
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #67
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
If I had to do it all over again, I would have waited and bought a Versa once they lowered the price. I got my Yaris in Feb 07 so it was quite some time away but I still think this car should have come with 130 hp. I love throwing my Yaris around the road but there are plenty of times that it's anemic qualities put a damper on my good time. I left a 3600lb 300 hp - 300ft/lb tq car for the yaris (Mid 90's Caddy ElDorado ETC, for those interested) so I'm probably just spoiled, but I've also owned a handfull of underpowered civics as well.

I still get speeding tickets in the Yaris though.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #68
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
the geo metro was fine for scooting around town in. any car is really, if all that your doing is A->B

most are not as spirited as the yaris
though, I don't see too big a deal about understeer, you just have to plan the turns a bit more-- oversteer is where you can get into trouble.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #69
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
, I don't see too big a deal about understeer, you just have to plan the turns a bit more-- oversteer is where you can get into trouble.

My point is I believe there is a way to eliminate the oversteer, people know but arem't talking :)
Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #70
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
My point is I believe there is a way to eliminate the oversteer, people know but arem't talking :)
PM Loren about it, he seems to be extremely knowledgeable when it comes to suspension.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM   #71
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I believe there is a way to eliminate the oversteer,
I *think* you mean understeer, not oversteer. It's difficult (but not impossible) to give a Yaris oversteer handling. Easier to make it neutral (my preference), and we all know (I think) it's designed to have understeer (= go straight when you want to be turning), which is safer for novice and untrained drivers.

increase oversteer/minimize understeer

stiffen the rear (springs, braces, sway bar, etc)
raise the rear tire pressure
soften the front
lower the front tire pressure
... and more...
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #72
frownonfun

i say just slow down when you are turning... it's way less expensive.