Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
denisse1122

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris liftback
i need help with a system! asap!

ok i have a 2007 yaris liftback and i want to add a system to it but i have no clue of any brand and how all that works but i know i want a touchscreen w the radio thingy and a boom boom lol obviously im lost in this topic so anyone please help!!!!
denisse1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
OK the touch screen is a Double-Din monitior, usually they play CD's DVD's and some come with navigation, the best speakers out are Infinity Kappa 3-ways, or Boston Acoustic 3-ways, and the best Subs (boom boom) are JL audio w7's any size will hit awsome, another good brand is Kicker L7 or L5 like i said which ever size is good. a good website to look around is www.cardomain.com
elsteverino889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
All you're going to need is a few grand and a local stereo shop, because anyone that calls subwoofers "boom boom" isn't going to do the work him/herself.

Take your money to your shop and ask them, they'll tell you.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #4
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
boom boom, lol

do your homework, take your time set a budget!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
I am selling a 12" Eclipse Aluminum which is excellent and at half of the price of MSRP ... (did I mention still brand new?)

Check out my thread ... http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3925

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsteverino889 View Post
OK the touch screen is a Double-Din monitior, usually they play CD's DVD's and some come with navigation, the best speakers out are Infinity Kappa 3-ways, or Boston Acoustic 3-ways, and the best Subs (boom boom) are JL audio w7's any size will hit awsome, another good brand is Kicker L7 or L5 like i said which ever size is good. a good website to look around is www.cardomain.com
oh please, don't use "best", the Focal Utopia Be are way out of the league.....
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I hope your a Super Hot Girl...

If not, Life will be very hard for you...

And if you are a Super Hot Girl...

I got a Boom Boom for you baby!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I have two like brand new Kicker SL7 12's for sale if anyones interested.. out of my hardley used show truck.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Infinity Kappas & JL W7 listed as "Best"? Yeah...you people watch too much Unique Whips.

That Focal 21 wx is a nice woofer. I'm an Illusion Audio fan though, those ND woofers are very nice. Regardless...using the term "best" shows a lack of real knowledge. I understand that biases are out there but really, smugly white-washing the entire audio industry with JL Audio W7s are "the best" is just ludicrous.

I can confidently say that the Kappas are NOT known as a "premium" brand. The Kappa Perfects BARELY make it happen and are NOT the best bang for the buck especially compared to the Alpine SPX177r. I'd be happy to go round and round with a comparison between the two...and the SPX's are a high end bargain brand.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying Chevrolet's vehicles are "the best". Oooooh boy! That's a bandwagon over there to jump on.

You want exotic? Look at Focal, Hybrid Audio, Rainbow, KEF, Morel, Alpine's "Z" components (Scan Speak Revalators)...there are MANY more that I don't have the time to mention.

The main reason for good sounding speakers is the installation and engineering/planning of the installation.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #10
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
lol love it when people say "boom boom"

my dad said "why is your car always boom boom all the time?" lol love it
Old 02-23-2007, 04:18 PM   #11
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Im with sqcomp all the way. First of all you need to know your budget. That will really help you pick something out. A touch screen flip out DIN or double DIN is going to be at least 500$ for a decent brand. Also for stock location speaker upgrades I would recommend going with a component system front and rear. You will get a better sound stage in your vehicle. You can look to pay around 120-200 for moderately nice component pairs. As for "boom boom" there are tons of options. I would say that your looking at around 300$ for a decent amp and another 200-300 for a decently performing sub. All in all you are probably looking at close to 1500-2000$ for a system that could be called worthy. Of course you can get an all new system for well below that, but the components wont be of quality build.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Infinity Kappas & JL W7 listed as "Best"? Yeah...you people watch too much Unique Whips.

That Focal 21 wx is a nice woofer. I'm an Illusion Audio fan though, those ND woofers are very nice. Regardless...using the term "best" shows a lack of real knowledge. I understand that biases are out there but really, smugly white-washing the entire audio industry with JL Audio W7s are "the best" is just ludicrous.

I can confidently say that the Kappas are NOT known as a "premium" brand. The Kappa Perfects BARELY make it happen and are NOT the best bang for the buck especially compared to the Alpine SPX177r. I'd be happy to go round and round with a comparison between the two...and the SPX's are a high end bargain brand.

They are nice, don't get me wrong, but that's like saying Chevrolet's vehicles are "the best". Oooooh boy! That's a bandwagon over there to jump on.

You want exotic? Look at Focal, Hybrid Audio, Rainbow, KEF, Morel, Alpine's "Z" components (Scan Speak Revalators)...there are MANY more that I don't have the time to mention.

The main reason for good sounding speakers is the installation and engineering/planning of the installation.

Good info but im sure hi-end is not on the list here. Go to a stereo shop and just tell them your needs. Stick with the decent brands most of us know, like eclipse, alpine, rockford, and i have heard some decent sounding kenwood and memphis stuff.

As far as THE BEST i honestly dont think one company does not make the best. I competed in sound quality for years and have ran focal. I thnk they have a dull muffled sound myself. I have a great ear for this and have used a rta to prove my point. I dont like the roll off they have. Scan -speak i was really surprised to see on you list. I ran them in a car back in the early 90s.

The best setup i had was a scan speak 3 inch silk dome with a 8 inch dyna audio made into a custom ensclosure. The 8 was my mid bass built into custom enclosure into the kick panel It was in a merceades it had bunches of room. I also played around with subs from b/w, morel, dyna, celestion and settled on servo driven velodyne. It was in a custom enclosure in the front of the center console. Total sounstage was up front. This was all on monolithic amps and custom built by me on passive crossovers. It was all ran by a good ole alpine 7909 with the radio taken apart, with a 800 dollar pure silver three foot interconnect hand soldered with sivler solder into the circut board so i would not loose sound quality going through the rca inputs.

I have been the test mule for the image dynamic horns. I had image studio quality third octave eq etc etc. The best has never been made. I was world champ in my power clasee 0-150w for 6 years from 1990-1995.

Get a budget and spend some time in a listeing room.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
I have two like brand new Kicker SL7 12's for sale if anyones interested.. out of my hardley used show truck.
UGH! I might have to shake the money tree for one of those. Hmmm...
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
0-150 Watt class? what level? Was it with USACi or IASCA (or both)? During those years Frank Rogeau was the master in the low Watt class with Kicker. Now he's dissapeared back to Bossier City as I remember.

A lot of people think that high end sound is not able to be achieved with low dollars. This is ABSOLUTELY false. To prove my point I'm working on a project that involves two vehicles. A 2005 Subaru STi and my little 2007 Yaris S.

We, the owner of the STi and I, have purchased pretty much top flight gear and have been consulting with some top names in the industry for the setup and basic engineering of the componentry and the composite finishing for the "special" rear seat (singular). We have already purchased the complete Hybrid Audio 3 way Legatia component set (which is centered around the midrange speaker), the McIntosh MCC406m and the McIntosh MCC301m, the Denon DCT-Z1 from Japan, both Illusion Audio ND-10 subs and we're jockying for pricing on the Alpine H701 and it's controller. This summer it's upgrading the battery with a Kinteik or a Batcap and performing the "big 3". After that it is all "fab in glass" with some CF/Kevlar finishing touches to the back seat. I could go into more detail but most would fall asleep.

The primary consultants with this project are Scott Buwalda (of IASCA fame & owner of Hybrid Audio), Jim Hergesheimer (the local wizard of systems) and Cindi Lux and her husband Fred Lux or Naykid Racing/Lux Performance (SCCA Speed World Challence GT) who are sourcing GOOD composite materials and assisting in the composite construction for the back seat.

On the other hand there's little old me with my Yaris S...300 HP down from my good friend's STi, no fancy suspension..etcetera, you get the point.

I'm going to be working with a MUCH less expensive 6 channel and mono D series amplifier (probably Infinity) and the same Hybrid speakers and possibly a single 8" woofer with two passive radiators. We'll see. I'm still in the planning stage. It's sick, you'll see me out in the driveway with a pad of paper just staring at the car for hours...

My goal is to beat my friend at his own game. We are looking to be invited to IASCA finals in 2008 in the rookie or one of the street categories.

My system is probably going to total less than $3.5k, his is already over $7k and he's still going.

Oh! Another suggestion for everyone. Go to Partsexpress.com for some cool DIY stuff.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
magoo_lc1

I dont know your age but i competed in the late 80s and early 90s. Everything back then was considered hi-end because the market it was in its infincy. I cant remember his name..a problem ive always had but i used to compete alot with a guy that had a yellow crx back in the early 90s. He had mostly rockford stuff and it was all running off a fosgate power 50 on custom passives. I wont lie to you i have not done this for years. The last car i helped with was Tony Rodriquez. He is a handicapped guy that used to have a beretta built for db and some sq and he went to a bmw with all genesis amps. My freind started his own place and taught me everything there is to know about true hi-end Its a liittle store called audio dyanamics. I dont know if you followed the scene back in early 2000 but we put 4 cars in the finals at KC missouri. One was Rick Berry with mostly zapco stuff. There was TOny and Mike and amanda gray with all image dymanics. Tony was the only first place guy that year and the others fininsed in the top 3 in their class.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 PM   #16
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Guys, let's keep this thread on topic, she's not asking for an audiophile-quality or SPL record breaking setup, so there's no real need to compare top of the line equipment

Like magoo_lc1 said earlier, your best bet is to find a few reputable car audio shop near you and ask them what they recommend, aiming for good value for money. Make sure you go to a few shops, ask them to demo the systems if they have any set up, etc, then compare what they're offering, ask us here as well, and I am sure you can end up with something that sounds sweet to your ears, with plenty of boom-boom

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #17
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Guys, let's keep this thread on topic, she's not asking for an audiophile-quality or SPL record breaking setup, so there's no real need to compare top of the line equipment

Like magoo_lc1 said earlier, your best bet is to find a few reputable car audio shop near you and ask them what they recommend, aiming for good value for money. Make sure you go to a few shops, ask them to demo the systems if they have any set up, etc, then compare what they're offering, ask us here as well, and I am sure you can end up with something that sounds sweet to your ears, with plenty of boom-boom
i agree. also dont be afraid to spend a little bit for sound dampening materials. you can have the most expensive sound system in the world, but if everything is rattling and all you hear is road noise, then what good is it for?? remember, the yaris is a sub-compact economy car, so it probably wont have the same sound deadening materials found in higher end cars like acuras and lexus'. make sure to isolate the car well enough so you can hear all those beautiful highs and lows...

--B
Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 PM   #18
magoo_lc1

Sorry to run off topic. Im passionate about sound.