Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #181
H3LlIoN

Drives: '09 Yarrrr hatch
We were testing the car with JUST the head and cams...no other modifications or bolt-ons. Power went from 98.93 to 104.10 (5.2% gain) on stock fuel maps. Torque dropped from 100.55 to 95.33 (5.4% loss). Using the CamCon to tune, we were able to get power to 108.43 (9.6% over stock) and tq to 98.78 (1.8% total loss). Most exciting thing to note is the lack of high rpm drop off associated with stock config. Again, this was on stock airbox/intake and exhaust and a dirty air filter so, while I had hoped to get to 110, I'm curious to see how this does after intake/exhaust, as the head could literally be being choked by stock system. We will see though.

Red - head/cams + camcon
Blue - head/cams on stock maps
Green - original stock baseline

Special thanks to Cali Yaris, 1NZYaris1 and lilredrocket
H3LlIoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #182
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LlIoN View Post
We were testing the car with JUST the head and cams...no other modifications or bolt-ons. Power went from 98.93 to 104.10 (5.2% gain) on stock fuel maps. Torque dropped from 100.55 to 95.33 (5.4% loss). Using the CamCon to tune, we were able to get power to 108.43 (9.6% over stock) and tq to 98.78 (1.8% total loss). Most exciting thing to note is the lack of high rpm drop off associated with stock config. Again, this was on stock airbox/intake and exhaust and a dirty air filter so, while I had hoped to get to 110, I'm curious to see how this does after intake/exhaust, as the head could literally be being choked by stock system. We will see though.

Red - head/cams + camcon
Blue - head/cams on stock maps
Green - original stock baseline
Its interesting how cams seem lose Tq on this motor. Ours are a more mild grind than yours, SCCA Production class rules limit us to .390 lift and only port matching 1" in, but like you we also lost some bottom end.

Wait till you get real engine management, when you can start to spin it past 6500rpm it will really sing and you will see the payoff.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #183
H3LlIoN

I'm looking forward to it...You really start to feel the cams....and then you crash into the rev limiter. So disappointing. Trying to decide now between being the test dummy for the dezod unit, or just going full standalone and being done with it. What are you running?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 PM   #184
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
I'm looking forward to it...You really start to feel the cams....and then you crash into the rev limiter. So disappointing. Trying to decide now between being the test dummy for the dezod unit, or just going full standalone and being done with it. What are you running?
AEM EMS series 2 with a custom plug and play harness by MP Tuning. The OE computer is still in place to control the DBW, with the AEM running the rest - including the VVTi.

If we did not have to use the stock TB and manifold (the SCCA Prod rules require the OE setup) I would ditch the stock ECU and use an xB or custom intake setup.

I wonder if you can pair the Dezod unit with the Camcon to essentially get the same control we have? As I understand it the Dezod unit does not offer VVTi control(?) The Camcon is limited to 500rpm steps, but it might make a good budget setup.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #185
H3LlIoN

I too was wondering if they could be piggybacked, since you are correct. No vvt-i w/ dezod. Too bad they require the stock tb. Are you allowed to bore it?

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #186
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Too bad they require the stock tb. Are you allowed to bore it?
No, its 100% stock. That is how they balance a class with 40 year old British cars and new cars.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #187
H3LlIoN

bummer. hope you get your new class soon.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #188
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Well guys the XB is at CFT getting the T/B wired into the Microtech and some other misc. Nitrous wiring done. The car should be ready to tune by end of week.

I know my cams are a little more wilder than yours and will have no way to test mine stock because of my standalone and all my mods but well she what she produces soon.

Keep in mind I did away with the VVTI which is also why my cam grind is full race as well as microtech only allows me to turn on vvti which makes it more like vvt.

I wanted a more race old school set-up. I know I got alot going on under the hood and will not be able to tell you what does the trick but I will assume it's a combination of all my stuff being Big and built strong.

70mm T/B
3" pipe
680cc injectors
big turbo
Crazy cams
Full stand-alone

All I know, is this better do something good.

Will post new complete engine bay pics in an hour or so.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #189
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgod View Post
Well guys the XB is at CFT getting the T/B wired into the Microtech and some other misc. Nitrous wiring done. The car should be ready to tune by end of week.

I know my cams are a little more wilder than yours and will have no way to test mine stock because of my standalone and all my mods but well she what she produces soon.

Keep in mind I did away with the VVTI which is also why my cam grind is full race as well as microtech only allows me to turn on vvti which makes it more like vvt.

I wanted a more race old school set-up. I know I got alot going on under the hood and will not be able to tell you what does the trick but I will assume it's a combination of all my stuff being Big and built strong.

70mm T/B
3" pipe
680cc injectors
big turbo
Crazy cams
Full stand-alone

All I know, is this better do something good.

Will post new complete engine bay pics in an hour or so.

XBG
With a turbo I don't think I would worry about the few trivial HP/TQ lost from not having VVTi.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #190
xbgod
Banned

I was thinking like you were. Though it will still interesting to see what happens,

XBG
Old 11-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #191
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
bummer. hope you get your new class soon.
The class change I have been pulling for is for autocrossing, nothing to do with our road race classing. Neither allow a "modern" car to change intake/TB. The current OE stuff is so much better than what cars had even ten years ago that you could not make the cars perform equally. Its one less than to worry $$$$ about.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #192
xbgod
Banned

Ok here is one pic. go to my engine build under forced induction for the rest.

XBG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0820.jpg (144.2 KB, 152 views)
Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #193
Jason@SportsCar

Quote:
Ok here is one pic. go to my engine build under forced induction for the rest.

XBG
Trying to overcompensate a little? Is the NX really necessary with the FI?

As long as you are going all out, why don't you ditch that boat anchor of a battery and pop for one of the new Braille lithium-ion units.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #194
H3LlIoN

he's sponsored, by NX amongst others.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #195
H3LlIoN

Not as shiny as Aras', but I got the CAI back in, and just got done installing the NST underdrive set. Next is Gude TB, as soon as I get it back from Gude.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #196
xbgod
Banned

AT least it's a clean set-up.

XBG
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #197
H3LlIoN

Thanks, but I need a wire tuck like WHOA.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #198
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Through my experience building my custom setup, the VVTi on our engine is one of the main points that play a good role what power and torque across all rpm range is.

That depends what the owner intend to use the car for . It could run on street or race or both. I chose both and for me the VVti is essentially needed on street where I am not always on the 6k rpm range. With the VVti tuned correctly you get a good power and torque all across the lower and higher rpms (which is nice to see a good feel only at 3K).

In your case, I don't think you care of low/medium rpm ranges since yours is built for race purposes. If I were you, I would lock the cam at a desired angle (depending what the dyno shows you) and eliminate the VVti completely.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote