Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #1
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Gotcha.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Fucking hell, put maple syrup in your engine if you want! It's your car, and you do what you think is best. If that is synth, then use it (I do). If you want to use regular dino oil, then do that. Change it at 3000, 5000, or 10000 mile intervals, or never! No one cares, 'cause if your Yaris seizes its engine than you will be the one that has to deal with it.

But can we please just quit having all these stupid oil debates?!?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I do drive like a grandma, and am not lying. (Black soot is mainly produced by the 1NZ-FE engine when operated near full throttle, in open loop conditions with the mixture enriched.) Nor does it matter to me what anyone puts in their car. I've already said several times that "dino" oil, like synthetic, could go well past factory recommended change intervals under ideal operating conditions. I'm still under warranty and need to be able to show I've been following recommended maintenance if anything does go wrong with my engine, and I don't think oil appearance is a sufficient guideline for extending drain intervals. I don't plan to subscribe to an oil analysis service, but that is the most logical way to determine when it's time to change oil.

As others have grown weary with this thread, so have I. Pleasure yourselves as you like best.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFSTUFF View Post
This is not that kind of forum... or is it? Must be the VIP section...
An instigator. If you want to debate about oil - I'm the guy. Logical arguments of course, and, only mild speculation and little data required to move forward!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Fucking hell, put maple syrup in your engine if you want! It's your car, and you do what you think is best. If that is synth, then use it (I do). If you want to use regular dino oil, then do that. Change it at 3000, 5000, or 10000 mile intervals, or never! No one cares, 'cause if your Yaris seizes its engine than you will be the one that has to deal with it.

But can we please just quit having all these stupid oil debates?!?
I thought maple syrup and synthetic were the same thing....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
I thought maple syrup and synthetic were the same thing....
There's an easy way to find out... Bottoms up!
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #7
chai
Go Duke!

Drives: '09 Sedan AT
I might be seeing -40C temperatures next month...
chai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #8
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chai View Post
I might be seeing -40C temperatures next month...
Well, dont put M1 0w-30 AFE in (im running it now) Its too thick for a FE oil - though its SUPPOSED to have good cold flow properties. I even had to take my high efficiency BOSH oil filter off due to loud valvatrain and other noised at a 15 degF cold start. I would opt for Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 or (0w20 if toyota approves) or a pan heater and a blosk heater - AND a heated garage
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Well, dont put M1 0w-30 AFE in (im running it now) Its too thick for a FE oil - though its SUPPOSED to have good cold flow properties. I even had to take my high efficiency BOSH oil filter off due to loud valvatrain and other noised at a 15 degF cold start. I would opt for Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 or (0w20 if toyota approves) or a pan heater and a blosk heater - AND a heated garage
...and heated seats, heated mirrors, heated tires, heated steering wheel....
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #10
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
I'll probably do my OC today, using M1 0w-30 AFE...they're predicting near zero with -20 wind chills for the next few days, plus it's been nearly 5k miles since the last service. I'll do the UOA [Blackstone Labs] and have them to do the additive package test on the M1. After that I plan on switching back to my normal PP 5w-30, have Blackstone do the same testing and see which one offers the best protection and fuel economy. Hopefully there will be a clear winner.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I'll probably do my OC today, using M1 0w-30 AFE...they're predicting near zero with -20 wind chills for the next few days, plus it's been nearly 5k miles since the last service. ... ...
Let me know how it works for you. I may have gotten the WM special misformulated bottle Also what filter are you planning on running with the AFE? - I would rec against the purolator gold or any high efficiency unit in the winter - given the incredible loud startup and warmup racket I had with the bosch(purolator). Please report back. I dont want to be alone in my AFE woes!
Old 01-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #12
1stToyota

Quote:
Let me know how it works for you. I may have gotten the WM special misformulated bottle Also what filter are you planning on running with the AFE? - I would rec against the purolator gold or any high efficiency unit in the winter - given the incredible loud startup and warmup racket I had with the bosch(purolator). Please report back. I dont want to be alone in my AFE woes!
I'm stuck using the Pennzoil PZ38 filters for a loong time; bought a case of 12 @ $2.00 each, shipped. Looks a lot like a Fram filter, except the media in the Pennzoil has more pleats when compared to a Fram.

I snuck regular YB Pennzoil 5w-30 in my Yaris for about 3K miles of my last OCI because I was eager to install my Fram sure-drain...sure-drain works great, but YB Pennzoil was a little noisier when pulling into my garage. Pennzoil Platinum is the quietest I've used, slightly beating the Eneos and HP Amsoil...the Mobil 1 isn't any louder than the PP, maybe even less noise than the PP, definitely much quieter than the conventional I had in there.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 01-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Let me know how it works for you ... I dont want to be alone in my AFE woes!
I just changed fuel from Shell where I had been getting a terrible 33 mpg ave over 3 tanks to Mobil. Mobil was crummy in the summer, but this batch seems very good and I know that the last batch of shell has been killing my mileage and causing all kinds of noise and driveability issues - suspect it was misformulated or had WAY too much ethanol in it. My 17 deg cold start on the mobil was "acceptable" and warm run just peachy! So at leat part of my perceived "woes" are due to fuel quality.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
It never fails. Someone always has to bring up a debate about Syn and conventional oils. The outcome is the same. Internet heroes will debate.

BTW, to whoever said the comment about the oil color. Metal shards don't change the color of the oil, but it'll sure mess some stuff up.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
TheSilkySmooth

I'll start. Just came from Lowe's. They stock Briggs and Stratton 5w-30 Full synthetic (32oz) oil with NO API or ILSAC rating. Should be highly additised to a fleet or HDEO level. They had it incorrectly low priced (i had a clerk verify) at 5.98USD a quart. Seems like this would be the nuts for a VTEC engine or a wailed-on Yaris for the winter. Proceed at your own risk. BTW, they also had MTD 5w-30 API SJ/CF HDEO snowking oil for 4.78 for 28oz. Tempting ....
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
1stToyota

Quote:
I'll start. Just came from Lowe's. They stock Briggs and Stratton 5w-30 Full synthetic (32oz) oil with NO API or ILSAC rating. Should be highly additised to a fleet or HDEO level. They had it incorrectly low priced (i had a clerk verify) at 5.98USD a quart. Seems like this would be the nuts for a VTEC engine or a wailed-on Yaris for the winter. Proceed at your own risk. BTW, they also had MTD 5w-30 API SJ/CF HDEO snowking oil for 4.78 for 28oz. Tempting ....
I use the stuff [B&S synthetic] in my John Deere but wouldn't advise using it in my car, in fear of what the long-term effects on the catalytic converter might be.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 01-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Honda guys know better. They run conventional.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #18
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
To be honest, I have NO idea if synthetic is better than conventional - however we do get quite insane temps here (re: -40c), so I figured I may as well use it. No idea either if it helps with cold weather starts, but from my own experience, I have never had my car NOT start in extreme temps.