Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
samuraivince

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
Question will this help performance at all?

hey everyone, this is my first time posting. i noticed a body kit for the LB that had a small retangle cut in the front bumper part, right in front of our air filter box. i also saw the same retangle cut in a body kit for a Nissan 350z also right by the filter. i was wondering if this cut alone could add any performance on a N/A stock yaris?? or what would even happen if we took a roto-drill and made a cut through the bumper like that to allow more air to the intake? thanks!
samuraivince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I doubt it would make much of a difference. More air is always nice, but probably isn't going to be noticeable IMO.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
It will make a difference if you route a tube from there into the airbox. That would be a type of ram air intake.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
I'm sure that is what it's for.
Good luck guy!
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraivince View Post
hey everyone, this is my first time posting. i noticed a body kit for the LB that had a small retangle cut in the front bumper part, right in front of our air filter box. i also saw the same retangle cut in a body kit for a Nissan 350z also right by the filter. i was wondering if this cut alone could add any performance on a N/A stock yaris?? or what would even happen if we took a roto-drill and made a cut through the bumper like that to allow more air to the intake? thanks!
I doubt you would see any benefit doing this with a stock air-box in place. The stock box just sits in the engine bay cooking, a little bit of cool air blowing on it wont so much.

Get an intake first, worry about routing air to it second.

On my AiM dash I can monitor air inlet temps. Using a modified K&N I typically see temps about 10 degrees higher than ambient. The last race we ran it was in the 70s the entire time, and that is with no ducting, just using the air that comes around the side of the radiator.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Jason, are you open underneath the engine bay, or do you have that covered in some way?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Jason, are you open underneath the engine bay, or do you have that covered in some way?
I have the stock plastic belly pan and fender liners - although the fender liners have been trimmed a bit due to the fender flares. You get a pretty much strait shot of air from the drivers side of the engine bay/grill to the K&N filter on our cars.

I cant recall if the AC condenser would block this on a stock car.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

my recollection is that the a/c condenser is directly in front of the radiator, and somewhat to the passenger side. Could be wrong though, and can't check.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Profotoiam

Drives: yaris
on the 4 door you have more room on passanger side than you do driver.
Profotoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
samuraivince

Drives: 08 Yaris hatchback
thanks for all the insite eberyone! I'll pick up a nice intake soon, then I'll give it a try and tell you guys if it helps at all. thanks again.
samuraivince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
My stock intake sees just above ambeint temps while moving.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cut front bumper intake