Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2007, 05:35 AM   #19
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
well I would definitely agree that this is a silly and expensive mod all by itself, but...

let's say I'm going s/c or turbo with a ported and polished head, standalone management (AEM, for argument's sake), and I"m going to combine the LSD with a lightweight flywheel and a stronger clutch while I've got the whole thing apart.

Starts to make more sense then, I think. And a project car is a project car -- IMO -- people put 50k into a used piece of junk to turn it into a racecar - why can't we with our $11,000 super-cute sporty liftback?
And your turbo'd p&p lightened car will make about 150 hp, right? Still doesn't make much sense. My opinion, I kept my 91 5.0 convertable to have fun with, spend money on, etc. I get more bang for the buck (much more), and still have my semi-sporty hatchback commuter to drive every day...with a full warranty
Old 07-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #20
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I thought the same thing about my Scion tC. NO ONE thought I'd be producing 443 whp/474 torque with a 2.4L AND have it be a daily driver.

But I did it, and the project was fun -- as my Yaris project may be.

Some of us like the "doing" as much as the "results", jdium.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdium View Post
And your turbo'd p&p lightened car will make about 150 hp, right? Still doesn't make much sense. My opinion, I kept my 91 5.0 convertable to have fun with, spend money on, etc. I get more bang for the buck (much more), and still have my semi-sporty hatchback commuter to drive every day...with a full warranty
Another one of those "my way is right and yours is wrong" types. Thats just what we needed here!

Lets argue about why it is stupid to put money into a 1991 Mustang while we're at it...
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #22
SAKU

Drives: White 3-Door Yaris
Send a message via Yahoo to SAKU
just putting it out there... Cusco makes an LSD, and for those who know cusco they know its pretty amazing... Its something you could research...
Old 07-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #23
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I thought the same thing about my Scion tC. NO ONE thought I'd be producing 443 whp/474 torque with a 2.4L AND have it be a daily driver.

But I did it, and the project was fun -- as my Yaris project may be.

Some of us like the "doing" as much as the "results", jdium.
That's impressive, and sounds like fun. I'm interested in seeing where Yaris aftermarket can take this car. But when the general consensus across the board of "experts" at this site agree that a fully aftermarket equipped, full exhaust, intake, pullies, lightened driveline, engine p&p, and even supercharged engine will still not get past 150 bhp, the LSD seems unnecessary.

I agree, the doing is the fun. That's why you don't have the tC anymore I would guess, gotta move on to the next project
Old 07-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #24
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Another one of those "my way is right and yours is wrong" types. Thats just what we needed here!

Lets argue about why it is stupid to put money into a 1991 Mustang while we're at it...
That's your argument eh? What is your way then if mine is so bad?

As for arguing about why it's stupid to put money into a 91 Mustang, lets go ahead. I can put money into my Mustang and see results out of it. I mean, $300 for an exhaust gets me 15 hp that I can feel and use. $300 for an exhaust on a Yaris gets me less power where I need it, and a ton of non-appealing noise. I can't void a warranty on my Mustang, I don't worry about losing it as a daily driver due to down time to modify it. And when I decide to sell it (never ), I'll get more of a return for my mods than I would on a Yaris. Who wants a used modded yaris???

Your rebuttal?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
That's your argument eh? What is your way then if mine is so bad?

As for arguing about why it's stupid to put money into a 91 Mustang, lets go ahead. I can put money into my Mustang and see results out of it. I mean, $300 for an exhaust gets me 15 hp that I can feel and use. $300 for an exhaust on a Yaris gets me less power where I need it, and a ton of non-appealing noise. I can't void a warranty on my Mustang, I don't worry about losing it as a daily driver due to down time to modify it. And when I decide to sell it (never ), I'll get more of a return for my mods than I would on a Yaris. Who wants a used modded yaris???

Your rebuttal?
OK.

Its a Ford.

I win.

Seriously, I'm not going to argue with you about why your theory on putting money into a 16 year old Ford is ridiculous. I don't disagree with your logic persay, but I do disagree with your logic that putting a limited slip in a brand new Yaris is dumb. To each his own sucka! If cali yaris wants to put a LSD in his ride, who are you to say its wrong? Post once about how you think its dumb, sure. Better yet, be coi and funny about it like Biggie. He is my favorite naysayer. You, however, were on naysaying post #3, and that is when we burn your ass to the ground. Especially cali, who has a 400 WHP tC. He isn't new to this. Stop talking to him like he is.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #26
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
Quote:
OK.

Its a Ford.

I win.

Seriously, I'm not going to argue with you about why your theory on putting money into a 16 year old Ford is ridiculous. I don't disagree with your logic persay, but I do disagree with your logic that putting a limited slip in a brand new Yaris is dumb. To each his own sucka! If cali yaris wants to put a LSD in his ride, who are you to say its wrong? Post once about how you think its dumb, sure. Better yet, be coi and funny about it like Biggie. He is my favorite naysayer. You, however, were on naysaying post #3, and that is when we burn your ass to the ground. Especially cali, who has a 400 WHP tC. He isn't new to this. Stop talking to him like he is.
I like that reply a lot...
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #27
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I still have the tC. Drive my kid to school in it.

We get there quickly.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #28
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
OK.

Its a Ford.

I win.

I enjoy you jumping in to defend him, especially since you think he needs no defense

I don't agree with it, but if you do want to re-read some posts, I did say that I'm very excited to see what the aftermarket can do with this car. Hopefully it can pick up a marketplace like the tC or my Mustang. As of now, I'll stop saying that a LSD makes no sense for the power that these cars can make. Thanks for burning my ass to the ground, I enjoyed it
Old 07-28-2007, 03:46 AM   #29
ChinoCharles
Banned

Hey, glad we could come to an agreement.

ZPI made a 180 WHP Yaris with a turbo, some exhaust mods and a standalone. That blows your 150 BHP theory out of the water. Expert? C'mon. The guys in Indonesia are running cams. If you think we won't see a 200+ WHP 1NZ Yaris in the next year, I want to be smoking what you're smoking.

In fact, I think I talked to the future owner of that very car the other day on the phone. C'mon Dave! Shut them up!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:07 AM   #30
jdium
Mr Attitude

180 on the stock crank/pistons? If so, that's very impressive, but I'm very curious to see how long it lasts. Never said I was an expert, I said that the "experts" on this site all agree that 150 hp is about all you can do without custom, over the top type mods. I'd be impressed to see the dyno chart showing 200+ hp from a 1NZ, even more impressed if it lives long past a 1/4 mile at full throttle...

As for what I'm smoking, lets just say that you couldn't afford it
Old 07-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #31
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
As for what I'm smoking, lets just say that you couldn't afford it
I quit that shit. It makes you stupid.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:28 AM   #32
jdium
Mr Attitude

Quote:
I quit that shit. It makes you stupid.
It's not what you think, it's something you buy by the gallon, and runs 9's...sniff it regularly. Not mine, but close...
Old 07-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #33
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
This should work for our car... Right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:18 PM   #34
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

See if you can find out what BRAND it is. I'm suspicious of ads that are real salesy (like that one) but don't give much technical data.

You can get the TRD one for $200 more (plus Int'l. shipping) or the Kaaz one from me for a bit more than that and shipping from California (PM for pricing).
Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #35
blueskana

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
With a stock engine and v710's I still vaporize my inside tire coming out of a hard corner. Given the (very) limited amount of horsepower the car produces, beeing able to utilize every available pony by minimizing spin is worth it's weight in gold. After tires and suspension, an LSD would be my next recommendation to anyone wanting to get around the track faster.

...ta' pense.
blueskana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:35 AM   #36
Moose
Resident Redneck

Drives: 07 Polar White Yaris Sedan 5M
Seriously guys, I'd wait for Quaife to introduce it's LSD to the marketplace before making a decision.

The same theory goes for why I haven't done anything to my Yaris yet. I'm waiting for a few more key players to get into the market.

Oh, yeah, I need money, too.
1985 Toyota Celica GTS Coupe 5M- track whip
http://www.importlounge.com
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote