Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Someday...

Someday the Yaris will get old and tired and I will have a new car. Problem is the car has too much character (I've had it since I was 16 and it has gone on every roadtrip) for me to get rid of. Therfore, I have to do something with it that doesn't involve selling it. Let the daydreaming begin.

I don't post here all that much but figured this would be the best place to ask questions on it. I want the car to appear mostly stock from the outside and be civil enough for a daily driver yet a weapon on autocross and ice rallies. The stock frame in my experience is about as rigid as a fence post (not very) so I would build a full custom cage to reinforce it, adding safety and handling improvements. I'd gut the interior and put it all back together with a custom IP (stock speedo though) and felt tape around everything to quell rattles. I'd remove the rear seat and create a flat load floor as I haul stuff way more than people in the car. To offset the weight loss in back, I'll move the battery there to even the distribution out some more.

The engine I'm lost on what to do. I could build up the 1NZ and save a lot of effort on fabrication but can it make 200-220 HP reliably? Can the stock tranny handle it? Another option is a 2ZZ/6 speed swap from a first gen Matrix XRS. More wild options are the engine and transaxle from a Northstar Cadillac swapped into a custom rear subframe, for a mid engine Yaris. This would be tons of work though, yet one of a kind and certainly great handling a la Renault Clio Sport. Another I thought of was the AWD powertrain from an AWD Eclipse/Talon. The 4G63 can take a ton of power stock but because of the AWD I'd have to almost completely re-engineer the front suspension and steering. What other, less drastic swaps would work?

Anyways, enough daydreaming. What do you think would make this unique yet a secret weapon on the track/ice? By the time I'm ready to do it I will have about $12k set aside for mods and a brand new xB paid off.
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
ZX-14 engine mounted where the rear seat was. Chain drive to a sprocket on a live axle.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
marlondog
Shut your fricken suck!!!

Drives: 07' liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcard View Post
ZX-14 engine mounted where the rear seat was. Chain drive to a sprocket on a live axle.
Is that a magazine for a P90 that I see?
marlondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #4
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
Build a good cage with rear subframe and mount another yaris drivetrain at the back wheels. AWD!
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
wildcard

Drives: 09 3dr HB 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlondog View Post
Is that a magazine for a P90 that I see?
Yes.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
How much racing have you done to date?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
why dont you make it a daily and get something that has power as the power car?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
agreed. use it for daily driving and get a Miata for autox and windy-road blasts. not that the yaris isn't fun to drive, but a Miata is like nothing you've driven before.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

That's missing the point. The OP wants to keep the Yaris and buy a new daily - "someday".

So the whole thing is in the future anyway.

Nothing at all wrong with racing a Yaris, great car to learn in as a matter of fact. Properly set up they keep up with Miatas all day long.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:44 AM   #10
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
As long as we are daydreaming...

Like you (OP), I tend to get attached to my cars (I still have my 1979 Celica sitting in my garage waiting to be restored). I like the Yaris for its looks but not so much its FWD chassis. So, the obvious solution is...

as Wildcard suggests, to turn it into a mid-engine hatch like the Renault R5. Except, since I live in calif., I would just take the stock power train and stick it in the back and avoid any emissions issues.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #11
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
drive it until you get something much nicer one day, then gut it out and make a track day car, would be fun.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
As long as we are daydreaming...

Like you (OP), I tend to get attached to my cars (I still have my 1979 Celica sitting in my garage waiting to be restored). I like the Yaris for its looks but not so much its FWD chassis. So, the obvious solution is...

as Wildcard suggests, to turn it into a mid-engine hatch like the Renault R5. Except, since I live in calif., I would just take the stock power train and stick it in the back and avoid any emissions issues.
That would completely mess with the weight distribution of the car though
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
That would completely mess with the weight distribution of the car though
Oh, no doubt. It would go from 60/40 to 45/55? Just get fat rear tires and fender flares, like the R5...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #14
10 Francis

Drives: 2010 Yaris S HB
While we're dreaming, how about an Subaru STI engine/trans in the back with driveshaft output removed? Lower center of gravity than other engines to be swapped to the rear, and may retain a little utility in the rear.
Personally, I'd keep the Yaris a dd, and build something else for a project. That's just me, though.
10 Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #15
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the yaris as is is a good enough project. 200+ hp is doable, and the 1nz is probably the lightest engine you'll find that you actually would want to use. It would be interesting to see it spun around and put in the rear of the car. rwd yaris could be fun.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ If they can do it with an iQ, the Yaris would be cake.