Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #55
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
If only these were availble in the US so that members of yarisworld could purchase them. I think there would be a demand. Such as if a vender stock them and sold them. hint hint
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #56
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Attached Images
File Type: gif needdynoz.gif (39.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 PM   #57
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
close to 320 US dollars? You guys do know that in japan items with prices are priced WITH tax or tip included.....LOL So you would only have to worry about shipping and custom charges....not tax. otherwise you are getting ripped off by whomever :P
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #58
crxgames

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I have read some articles on someone making a custom circuit to do the same thing as this on a prius and they were getting good gains...

I really wanna try one of these out now. 2.5" intake, 1zz-fe throttle body, headers, full exhaust, and this could be a pretty nice combo for a daily.
crxgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #59
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxgames View Post
I have read some articles on someone making a custom circuit to do the same thing as this on a prius and they were getting good gains...

I really wanna try one of these out now. 2.5" intake, 1zz-fe throttle body, headers, full exhaust, and this could be a pretty nice combo for a daily.
Point me to the articles if you can find them. This would be very easy to do if I had some curves to grab data points from. And, it could be a $50 item.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #60
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Point me to the articles if you can find them. This would be very easy to do if I had some curves to grab data points from. And, it could be a $50 item.
Interested!
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #61
crxgames

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
As requested:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2658/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2659/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1458/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2661/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2664/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2388/article.html

I link to all of these as there's good info in all of them. The last 2-3 links are the ones with most of the info though. If you make one of these, I wanna know!
crxgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #62
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxgames View Post
As requested:
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2658/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2659/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1458/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2661/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2664/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2388/article.html

I link to all of these as there's good info in all of them. The last 2-3 links are the ones with most of the info though. If you make one of these, I wanna know!
Very interesting!

Scanning through it I saw this:

So despite trying each of the following, consistent full-load mixtures could not be obtained:

* Intercepting the airflow meter signal with the DFA
* Altering fuel pressure
* Switching the oxy sensors in and out on the basis of throttle position
* Switching the oxy sensors out as fuel pressure was progressively increased
* Switching the oxy sensors out and intercepting the airflow meter signal with the DFA
* Switching the oxy sensors out, increasing fuel pressure and intercepting the airflow meter signal with the DFA
* Intercepting the oxy sensor signals with the DFA
* Disconnecting the oxy sensors at all loads and then setting the mixtures via the DFA working on the airflow meter signal

The solution in this article was to increase fuel pressure, rather than intercepting the airflow meter signals (and 02 sensors). My original thought was that you would need to fool the 02 feedback as well, but with the turbo Prius, even that wasn't consistent.

I'd really like to see some hard data on the Tom's to see if this is worth emulating.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #63
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
VIP Auto Salon, a distributor of Tom's in Orange, Ca is offering these for $280 shipped. I'm considering picking one of these up and trying it.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #64
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeng View Post
VIP Auto Salon, a distributor of Tom's in Orange, Ca is offering these for $280 shipped. I'm considering picking one of these up and trying it.
Do a web search and read some of the reviews before you drop the money. It inserts between the MAF and the ECM and fools the ECM into thinking that more air is coming in, so that the ECM will feed more fuel. The problem with it only overriding that side (and not the feedback side via the O2 sensors), is that the ECM adjusts the trim accordingly, so the improvements will only be temporary, unless you routinely clear out the short term data by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #65
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
or if you put your foot down and the ECU runs open loop? then it could have a permanent effect...

Even so, it's a common misconception that more fuel = more powar, if anything, the stock Yaris runs quite rich at high RPMs, you would possibly see some power improvement from a LEANER mixture...

honestly, I don't feel this thing, look into an apexi SAFC that does more or less the same thing but with adjustability based on throttle position and RPM range. won't be as easily plug and play but I'd see it as much better value for money.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #66
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Do a web search and read some of the reviews before you drop the money. It inserts between the MAF and the ECM and fools the ECM into thinking that more air is coming in, so that the ECM will feed more fuel. The problem with it only overriding that side (and not the feedback side via the O2 sensors), is that the ECM adjusts the trim accordingly, so the improvements will only be temporary, unless you routinely clear out the short term data by disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes.
You're on the right track, but your messing with the wrong signal.

What other sensor is inside the MAF sensor?...... Intake air temp. What would the ECU do if it was sucking in -40° air? richen the fuel mixture up permanently until it saw warmer air being drawn in.

All the toms unit does is adjust the resistance of the intake air temp sensor so the signal going to the stock ECU thinks it's in cold weather and adjusts the fuel trim accordingly. I leaned this trick while sitting in on an advanced engine management course when I worked at Toyota Canada.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #67
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
You're on the right track, but your messing with the wrong signal.

What other sensor is inside the MAF sensor?...... Intake air temp. What would the ECU do if it was sucking in -40° air? richen the fuel mixture up permanently until it saw warmer air being drawn in.

All the toms unit does is adjust the resistance of the intake air temp sensor so the signal going to the stock ECU thinks it's in cold weather and adjusts the fuel trim accordingly. I leaned this trick while sitting in on an advanced engine management course when I worked at Toyota Canada.
Whether is messes with the MAF or the IAT, either way, when running closed loop, the ECM will see the effects on the O2 sensor readings and will compensate. My point is that since the system runs primarily closed loop, you have to trick the ECU on both the input and output sides to have a long term effect.

This is from the Toyota T874 course:

The ECM uses the front (S1) A/F or O2 sensor(s) to make corrections to injection duration in order to keep the engine running at a theoretical 14.7:1 (for gasoline) (stoichometric) air/fuel ratio during most engine operating conditions such as idle, cruising, etc.

Feedback from the O2 or A/F sensor (S1) influences short-term fuel trim, which influences long-term fuel trim.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #68
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Increasing fuel rate does not create more horsepower by itself.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #69
ostar761
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Axio
So does this TOM's Fuel Controller worth a try?
ostar761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #70
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
I don't understand how you can get better power with this controller and especially the plugs

Lets get straight to the plugs, these are almost identical (2 step colder) to my NGK Iridium IK22. I can assure you there is more loss than gains running N/A with these plugs as the combination of spark do not match with the air & fuel mixture.

The controller (in my opinion) is useless unless it is combined with other performance mods like especially a supercharger or turbo. In the case of N/A and few mods or no mods at all, the engine can only loose power if you enrich the mixture or else if you lean it you tend to get a slight power increase putting your engine at risk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
After a bit of driving, wouldn't the O2 sensor tell the ECU to fix the mixture after you adjusted it manually?
That depends how the stock ecu works. With my experience on aftermarket ecus it would be insane to set the AFR adjustment above 2500rpm especially if running forced induction although it would be awesome since then the tuner would be there for nothing since there is the AFR instead haha . It would make more sense that the stock ecu works about the same so putting all in one sentence :

"IF THERE ARE POSSIBLE GAINS USING THIS CONTROLLER THIS MUST BE PAST THE AFR ADJUSTMENT RANGE ON THE STOCK ECU AND SO PROBABLY PAST 2500RPM"

I think this package is designed to be used on those TRD Turbo 1.5L engines and that would really make sense as turbo needs colder plugs and richer mixture which is equal to "You can increase more boost Now" .... of course if the internals withstand it
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #71
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
would a colder plug fool the ecu and it run richer and be able to create more power with toms controller i was always told to make more power more in and more out not just one have to have both or does the controller lean the car out and the colder plug account for the extra heat
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #72
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
CTScott have you played with satelite antennas yet ? i have a question for you does anyone sale a y adapter so i can run to satelite antennas thinking when one does not pick up the other might loacated in two different spots on the car i sold you your eclispe head unit some time back i hate going under over passes and losing signal thanks again for all the info you put up its very usefull
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote