Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Shop Project...

Over the next few months, I'll be posting pics and perhaps some video of the shop's fun project. What we're doing is taking an old Chevy Malibu wagon and turning it into a shop car. We've taken care of the engine (a solid little 302), put an aftermarket exaust on it, and put springs on the back versus the stock leafs that it originally had. Of course there will be more engine work but the primary concentration will be on the soundsystem.

What we've sketched and measured out is a system that will concentrate on the WOW factor versus the bling factor. It will have both, but more SPL versus ICE. That being said, we've got 8 exile shift 12" woofers that will be ported. There will probably be at least two Exile component sets for each door (not my favorite thing to do, but it's a show thing not an SQ car). All the mirrors are going to be removed, the sides replaced by wideangle lenses and the rear view is just going to be removed...since we won't be able to see out the back due to the wall. The dash is going to have at least three monitors (one for the sides and one for the rear view), we've measured and sketched for a bigger center monitor for DVD possibly.

All the speakers and amplifiers are going to be from Exile Audio. For anyone who doesn't know, Exile is comprised primarily the old engineers from the "real"(pre ronin) Phoenix Gold. These are the guys who engineered and made the legendary amplifiers from the late 80's and the 90's. The owners of Exile are fully behind us since we have a long running repoire with them personally.

Right now as for pictures, we've got the stock Malibu, the teardown, and the start of the deadening...

What is next is custom rails for the racing buckets we're putting into the wagon. Then it's more deadening. There won't be any closed cell foam...just a single layer of the Stinger Roadkill Expert. What you're seeing that is put down at this point is just one bulk pack. We'll be going through at least one more if not two. After that is the mockup for the dash and the woofer enclosure.

I should have more pictures next week...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Wow, that beast is going to be LOUD. Definitely keep us posted!
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
cool.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I see a cookie!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i don't like the ECU laying on the floor like that. lol
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

LOL! ECU he says. We don't need it. You should have been there when we moved the car around in the shop...Backing the beast up without seats or a dash. That engine is a strong runner. It'll be good for a long while.

Eight 12" woofs ported is definately going to get some. We tried to get Exile to front the BIG 15" woofers...the ones that run on 3200 Watts...They didn't want to work 6 15"s. We'll make do regardless.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
lol.. run it without ECU?

gas pump right?
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Did you drywall the ceiling?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #9
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

The engine is a classic carbureted 302 from what I noticed, I'll make sure I'm telling you the truth...

Drywall? Nah, that's almost an entire sheet of 3/4" MDF we're using as the headliner. We foamed the cavities in between the MDF and the sheet metal. We'll be applying some high build primer and painting it (this is the general idea). There will be some more things done with it aesthetically I'm sure.