Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
CAI... options .. water?

I had an AEM intake on the echo, which ran basically behind the bumper under the left headlight. Seemed to be fairly safe from being flooded with water.

Now I am looking at intakes for my new 09 Yaris and see many intakes which seem to have the air filter very exposed to the elements. Is water a concern with these intakes? (AFE for example)

Not sure which way I should go, I like the AFE, but wonder if I shouldn't be going with something like the AEM which perhaps offers abit more protection for the filter.

My last AEM ended up going in the garbage after one of the mounts broke, but that could have been my fault by not installing quite correctly.. not sure.
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
I purchased the (Canadian-designed and built!) PRM racing intake for my 91. It has a unique 'inner filter' device which reduces a lot of exposure to the elements. Since I drive no matter what the conditions, I'll be sure to chime in with my results.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
rl67pinoy

Drives: 2007 Ghetto VITZ
here PROs and CONs

CAI
pros= cooler air more dense atomizes fuel better. =more power
=i think thats it for pros
cons= you have to worry about sucking water and stalling which could lead to hydrolock
=pain in the ass to install it rubs everywhere
=pain in the ass to inspect the filter to make sure still clean

SHORT RAM
pros= easy to install
=easy to inspect
cons= sucks hot air from engine bay, which dont really matter if your going 60mph

thas all i can think of for now , i had CAI which i thought it was mounted high enough behind the foglights just below the left headlight, until i stalled in the middle of the night due to rain and flood on the road. i dont think its the depth of the water drowned my filter
its the water splashing everywhere. i was lucky no hydrolock .
rl67pinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
SKurj

Drives: 09 Yaris 3dr HB, BRZ
Leaning towards the short ram, I drive alotta miles... 40,000kms/yr and can't be bothered removing for winter.. tho then again with a short ram, swapping back to stock for winter would take 15 minutes...

So less issues with water with the short ram vs CAI?
SKurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
shameer_k

Drives: yaris sedan
i installed a K&N Apollo Filter. Its a cone filter in a case which has a flexible hose which i ran to the front by the horn. i got some more power at higher RPM. sounds great but not as good as a short ram.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/apollo.htm
shameer_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #6
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
i have the afe it does sound great and havnt had any water problems relatively easy to install i have an alarm so the siren for that just barely let the box fit in but it did work....like a glove ill post a picture
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I also have the AFE, I don't see how it would be exposed to the elements, it sits right behind the drivers headlight...you'd need to be in some pretty deep water. Of course it doesn't snow here so I don't really know what issues that causes, or could cause.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
the only way you can get hydro-lock is from completely submerging the filter. as long as you are not attempting to float your little Yaris you will be fine. water mist is fine and if anything will steam clean and keep temps down.

not to mention the sound of a cai echos alot more from in the fender!
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
get the short one and forget about it, forget the power gain from a CAI which is minimal anyway if any
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
^ Seconded. Also, the PRM has actual dyno-proven power gains. The K&N setup... Is universal, so the results are pretty much unknown.
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Most of the intakes publish dyno results.

The AFE comes with a powdercoated steel airbox which replaces the stock one. You get the protection and the peformance bump too.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
SeriousBlack

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS HB
I've had the AFE (dry filter) for almost a year - happy with the performance/sound and no water or other issues.
SeriousBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #13
matthewai

ive had no water issues but did notice this after driving on the highway for about 25 mins i think it must have dripped while the hood was open for the service i just got
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afewet.jpg (189.7 KB, 94 views)
Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
A litte water down/in your intake is relatively harmless.
In fact, cabon buildup in the combustion chamber was a real problem for early cars such as the "model "T" Ford.
It was then common practice to pour a little water driectly down the intake while reving the engine a bit to loosen and clear out the carbon.

So, when placing the intake for a CAI, the only real concern should be to prevent hydrolock.

BTW, when it is raining and the air has 100% humidity, etc you a sucking water through your intake anyway no matter what kind of intake you have.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-05-2011 at 02:13 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #15
matthewai

^^^ biggest