Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #19
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It certainly cannot help it. The car just wasn't designed for it, and more importantly the computer wasn't either.
Bullshit. If Toyota didn't want its customers to have the ability to shift their automatics into other gears, or if there was any risk of damaging the transmission in doing it, they wouldn't have designed the transmissions to allow it! Cars would have Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive only; but as they are you can shift down to three other gears in the Yaris.

There's no harm in manually shifting an automatic, other than using more gas...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmobile View Post
then why dose it have the other gears?
For exactly the reasons I stated in my previous post.

Go ahead and shift your auto, just realize that your car is designed to shift at the most efficient points, so by manually overriding that you might get better acceleration but it will be at the expense of fuel consumption.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #21
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
For exactly the reasons I stated in my previous post.

Go ahead and shift your auto, just realize that your car is designed to shift at the most efficient points, so by manually overriding that you might get better acceleration but it will be at the expense of fuel consumption.
as with most thing there are advantages and disadvantages

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #22
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Bullshit. If Toyota didn't want its customers to have the ability to shift their automatics into other gears, or if there was any risk of damaging the transmission in doing it, they wouldn't have designed the transmissions to allow it! Cars would have Park, Reverse, Neutral and Drive only; but as they are you can shift down to three other gears in the Yaris.

There's no harm in manually shifting an automatic, other than using more gas...
not true. There are certain situations where the different gears are extremely helpful. As in steep hills or terrible weather or the like.

But pretending it is manual is silly. There is a reason you spent $1000 extra for another computer.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
not true. There are certain situations where the different gears are extremely helpful. As in steep hills or terrible weather or the like.
Yep, I most always manually shift mine on steep hills (I'm looking at you, Tennessee) or it tends to hop back and forth between 3 and 4.

Quote:
There is a reason you spent $1000 extra for another computer.
Yeah, because manual sedans are practically impossible to find :(

I'd have got a manual if I could, but I couldn't, so I have an auto. I have a proper transmission in my project truck, so that makes up for it I guess :P

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:

But pretending it is manual is silly. There is a reason you spent $1000 extra for another computer.
I was going to say the same thing, also isnt the L supposed to be used for towing????
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #25
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_827 View Post
I was going to say the same thing, also isnt the L supposed to be used for towing????
Almost positive the Yaris is not rated for towing in the US. It is probably a lawyer type thing as it is rated around 800 lbs in other countries.

L is basically 1st gear. Really bad weather or really steep hills or soft dirt or sand or generally unusual conditions are the only times you should shift an auto. Especially one which has received a lot of praise on these forums for being a well thought out and logical machine.

To put it simply there is a reason F1 cars are pretty much all automatics.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #26
MadMax

Quote:

Really? Because in 3.5 years with an auto there hasn't been one situation that it couldn't handle whereas a manual could.

It's great to state your opinion, but don't confuse it for fact. There is no reason not to manually shift an auto other than fuel efficiency. It does not, as you claim, hurt the transmission (it shifts the gears anyway, just on its own) and there is nothing "silly" about it except for the fact that manual transmissions are not capable of doing the same.

What is "silly" is those thinking they get more "performance" out of a 105 hp car with a manual!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
dragoonmc

Drives: 07 hatchback
Quote:

To put it simply there is a reason F1 cars are pretty much all automatics.
They are manuals with paddle shifters because there is no room for a shifter in the car and the transmission is on the other side of the engine from the driver.
dragoonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #28
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Really? Because in 3.5 years with an auto there hasn't been one situation that it couldn't handle whereas a manual could.

It's great to state your opinion, but don't confuse it for fact. There is no reason not to manually shift an auto other than fuel efficiency. It does not, as you claim, hurt the transmission (it shifts the gears anyway, just on its own) and there is nothing "silly" about it except for the fact that manual transmissions are not capable of doing the same.

What is "silly" is those thinking they get more "performance" out of a 105 hp car with a manual!
Not surprisingly you misread what I wrote. I was not talking about manuals, but slushboxes. They contain the options for putting the transmission into the other gears in cases where there are unusual driving conditions.

And there is a reason not to try and break your transmission, they are expensive. Shifting a transmission that is not meant to do it will hurt your car, whether you want to believe it or not. When you choose the gear you override all the mechanicals and the computer you spent a ton of extra money on.

What is silly is you think you have a clue. Especially when you are the only person in the universe with the position you hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoonmc View Post
They are manuals with paddle shifters because there is no room for a shifter in the car and the transmission is on the other side of the engine from the driver.
False. From the horses mouth:

The gearboxes of modern Formula One cars are now highly automated with drivers selecting gears via paddles fitted behind the steering wheel. The 'sequential' gearboxes used are very similar in principle to those of motorbikes, allowing gear changes to be made far faster than with the traditional ‘H’ gate selector, with the gearbox selectors operated electrically. Despite such high levels of technology, fully automatic transmission systems, and gearbox-related wizardry such as launch control, are illegal - a measure designed to keep costs down and place more emphasis on driver skill. Transmissions - most teams run seven-speed units - bolt directly to the back of the engine.