Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
Tapokata

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by stance View Post
Hi guys i need answer about clanking banging.....i added all this by the first install to the last install...

1- Tein Coilover...little noise banging rear
2- Sway bar trd.. same little noise banging rear
3- Strut bar front upper.. nothing change except front handling is awsome
4- megan racing Front-Middle-Rear lower strut bar... now clanking, banging very hard sound to my ears !!! But the handling is awsome at all so noww do you think i need the rear strut upper bar to eliminate that heavy sound? Is like ting ting ting and sometime if i drive on bumps in a row, i feel the tire like little spin burn...anywayyy heelpp!

Hard to tell if you changed to a Tein on the rear as well, but I'd look at how you have the dampening setup on the front struts. It sounds like it's at a firmer setting (which I assume would be desirable at the track), but as you have added other suspension components, maybe now too firm? If the dampening is too firm, you're overly restricting the spring/shock travel as you come off the bumps, causing a bit of wheel hop.

On the rears, I don't think the Tein has a dampening adjustment, so check the twin nuts on on the upper strut- if they are torqued down too tight, you can be overloading the shock. There's a rule of thumb from the Hayes manual that I can't recall at the moment- that you don't want less than 15mm and no more than 18 mm of exposed thread on the strut as measured from the top of the lower nut. If you re-torque these strut nuts (18 ft-lbs is the OEM spec), you want BOTH rear wheels on the ground when you do this.

Finally, if the problem is worse after adding the lower support braces, I'd remove those one at a time, until you come up with a combination where you're not banging the suspension around, but still have the handling you are looking for.

Last edited by Tapokata; 05-24-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Tapokata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #2
stance

Drives: yaris
This is my setup...now ill try the rear upper strut bar and come back here to see if the clanking still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapokata View Post
Hard to tell if you changed to a Tein on the rear as well, but I'd look at how you have the dampening setup on the front struts. It sounds like it's at a firmer setting (which I assume would be desirable at the track), but as you have added other suspension components, maybe now too firm? If the dampening is too firm, you're overly restricting the spring/shock travel as you come off the bumps, causing a bit of wheel hop.

On the rears, I don't think the Tein has a dampening adjustment, so check the twin nuts on on the upper strut- if they are torqued down too tight, you can be overloading the shock. There's a rule of thumb from the Hayes manual that I can't recall at the moment- that you don't want less than 15mm and no more than 18 mm of exposed thread on the strut as measured from the top of the lower nut. If you re-torque these strut nuts (18 ft-lbs is the OEM spec), you want BOTH rear wheels on the ground when you do this.

Finally, if the problem is worse after adding the lower support braces, I'd remove those one at a time, until you come up with a combination where you're not banging the suspension around, but still have the handling you are looking for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.4 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (136.1 KB, 872 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (123.5 KB, 868 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (140.7 KB, 869 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (81.4 KB, 863 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (162.3 KB, 867 views)
stance is offline   Reply With Quote