Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-21-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
j996tt

Drives: 2009 Yaris S Sport Pacakge 5 d
Manual vs. Auto Transmission

Always been a manual type of guy. I understand the ins and outs of manual vs. auto from a practical perspective (traffic, etc.). I want to know specifically whether the Yaris (HB) is more 'fun to drive' with what tranny. I assume manual as you can more out of the drivetrain. Does the auto take that much away from the experience? Thanks for the help. JF
j996tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #2
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I have driven both, but bought the manual. I don't drive in traffic, however. If I did spend any significant time in traffic, I would have bought the automatic. The manual does make for a more engaging driving experience.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
There's been numerous discussions on this, search a bit and you'll find 'em.

I wanted and got an auto, but I didn't buy my Yaris to drive "spiritedly" but for gas efficiency. Still, I enjoy hitting corners and leaving so-called sports cars in my dust. I don't care if they can out-accelerate me in the straights, that's the car and not the driver's skill in action.

The autos can be "shifted" to some degree, I do drop down from 'D' to '3' and even '2' but usually to deceleration. But as I always say, you can always shift an auto but you can't make a manual shift itself! So in my opinion, the auto doesn't take that much away from the car; but I don't know if I would feel the same way if I were 25 years younger.

And if you ever get stuck in slow-moving traffic, the auto is much more desirable.

Cheers! M2
Old 02-21-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Manual all the way. They make every car more fun to drive. Never owned an automatic, never will.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
My left foot never gets tired in traffic. I suspect people who complain about driving in traffic with a manual transmission are talking about old VW and chevy trucks with heavy clutches. I've owned two automatic cars in my life (my first two). After my first MT car, I've owned two more to make a total of three. I'm never going back to auto! And this is HAVING LIVED in some of the worst traffic cities in the world (Los Angeles and Bangkok).
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
manual of course is more fun

manual will yield better mileage (if you know how to drive one)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calcu...ta&model=Yaris

a good sampling there with the manual averaging 4 mpg's better than the auto. though id say in the hands of any given driver the difference shouldnt be that large.

BUT, the fun part and the stellar mpg's part may not go hand in hand
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
djct_watt

The MT is more aggressively geared with a higher final drive. . . so theoretically on the highway it should have worse MPG.

But being that it has 1 extra gear and the gears are shorter, it has a GREAT DEAL more power. Furthermore, MT always put more power to the wheel than autos, with the exception of expensive DSG/SMG/hydraulic auto-manuals. Those are tried and true manual transmissions that are electronically controlled. However an automatic with a selector/paddles and a regular torque converter and planetary gearset auto is NOT the same. Not all auto trannies are equal.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
BuildCode

Drives: Black 5-Spd Sedan S
I've never driven a Yaris auto, but the manual is really fun to drive! And funny what MadMax said, I also seem to have more fun with my car in corners than the sports cars do which are behind me!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
manual FTW.

Except if you live in SF and have to contend with traffics + hills both on a daily basis, then get an auto, it just makes life simpler.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #10
djct_watt

PS, I lived in S.F. for a few years. . . it's not that bad. If you learn to use the parking brake, it's actually quite easy to start/stop on hills.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I got high-sided off my Harley ~10 years ago and wrapped my right arm around my back. While recovering from that, I learned to really appreciate automatic transmissions!
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
djct_watt

Yes. . . if you own a real a bike, consider an auto in case of the ever-likely wipe out. My bike was totalled by a cop that ran a red light (light no siren). I had to operate the clutch with a broom stick for about two weeks. Not fun.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Granny trannys are good if you spend a lot of time in rush hours, any kind of spirited open road driving will be more fun with a manual tranny/
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
manual FTW.
+1
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Better acceleration + better MPG (due to slightly taller high gears and a 5th gear) = Can't go wrong with manual.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 AM   #16
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
I agree with most that the manual is more fun to drive. This is my first MT car (I've had 4 auto tranny cars before). The only part where it starts to suck is stuck in traffic like I was over the weekend in Philly. I think my left foot went numb a few times...

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 AM   #17
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Better acceleration + better MPG (due to slightly taller high gears and a 5th gear) = Can't go wrong with manual.
actually the auto has a taller 5th gear and revs a bit lower at highway cruising speeds than the manual. with an auto, there are still parasitic losses so its not only about the rpms, so yes, still better mpg with the manual.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
I agree with most that the manual is more fun to drive. This is my first MT car (I've had 4 auto tranny cars before). The only part where it starts to suck is stuck in traffic like I was over the weekend in Philly. I think my left foot went numb a few times...

If your leg went numb holding down a Yaris clutch then heaven help you if you ever drive a hi-po manual V8 in grid-lock. You'd wish for numb.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote