Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #55
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
I must say that is SEXY! You going to enter your car in car shows now? You should, you've put some real effort into your Yaris Long.
Thanks, Tony. I probably would enter shows but I don't remember how to put my interior panels back on. I took them off in August to lay in the sound deadener and now stare at this stack of plastic and don't want to put the car back together again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Garm is selling them in TRD red, with no etching, I think.
I start with the covers that Garm sells but with no paint. I think the process of cutting a painted cover to fit the supercharger will chip the paint at the edges. That's why I start with a bare aluminum cover and have it anodized to a specific color.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 AM   #56
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
All you need now is a microimage Meerkat attached to the blitz to make
it really purrr-ty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MeerKats 004.JPG (210.8 KB, 126 views)
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #57
LtNoogie

Great, Mike. Can't wait to see the picture. I'm starting another batch of three covers and would like to see what a black cover looks like in the engine compartment.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #58
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
subscribed... cause who knows i might be special too one day and need a cover. looks sweet by the way. it even makes me not like you a little im so jealous. j/k. maybe.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:33 AM   #59
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
I'm so happy to see a Startrek fan with a supercharged car lol.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #60
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
I'm so happy to see a Startrek fan with a supercharged car lol.
you mean, with a warp drive yaris?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #61
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Okay just did a test fit and have a small fitment issue. I will have to cut a little bit out but no biggie, just not sure how to cut it without damaging it. I think it needs to be cut to the bend roughly. Here are the pics. I have the same issue with the stock cover even after cutting it. It will look good once it is done though.

Don't mind the dirty compartment it has been to cold here to do anything about it.
Mike, did you put the rubber faucet washers on the two studs before you put the cover on? The washers do two things... they lift the cover off the blower and they isolate the cover so it does not rattle.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #62
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
The black looks amazing camelll! Long, I'd like a closer look at that bare metal etching on yours, was it done by chemical or laser or ?

Mine fits my LB fine I got an unfinished one and I love the brushed aluminum texture! It's heavy duty material and nice workmanship too. But I don't want to take pics until I at least get the new oil cap and big wing nuts on there.

Thanks Long and Garm
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #63
frownonfun

so did ya'll decide on the details of the modified cover group buy? i would like in on the group buy if it hasn't already happened. i'd be fine with the black or the blue but preferably black. and no i don't have a supercharger BUT i have decided to get one, just not right this second. don't wanna wait til i do get it in and miss out on the group buy.

Last edited by frownonfun; 03-13-2009 at 09:23 PM. Reason: cuz it just about made no sense
Old 03-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #64
LtNoogie

You have a PM
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #65
LtNoogie

Quote:
Okay just did a test fit and have a small fitment issue. I will have to cut a little bit out but no biggie, just not sure how to cut it without damaging it. I think it needs to be cut to the bend roughly. Here are the pics. I have the same issue with the stock cover even after cutting it. It will look good once it is done though.

Don't mind the dirty compartment it has been to cold here to do anything about it.
Sorry you've got a fitment problem. I got your PM.

Here's how mine is mounted to clear the blower and isolate the engine vibration. I call them rubber washers but they are really grommets. The third frame shows the clearance I have.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 PM   #66
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
The black looks amazing camelll! Long, I'd like a closer look at that bare metal etching on yours, was it done by chemical or laser or ?

Mine fits my LB fine I got an unfinished one and I love the brushed aluminum texture! It's heavy duty material and nice workmanship too. But I don't want to take pics until I at least get the new oil cap and big wing nuts on there.

Thanks Long and Garm
Jo, I'll ask the etching house on Monday what process they used. I'm not an expert but I am guessing laser etching due to the precision. The metal that is left does not look like the original brushed aluminum anymore. I don't know if the anodizing process or the etching process changed the finish. Here are some closeups but I don't think they give a good sense of the finish.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #67
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Long no worries there was no possible way we could have known that it would not clear. I will play around with it on Mon or Tues and and see exactly what will need to be done to it. I did not try any rubber washers like you said to, but when I lifted it up to see how high it would need to be to clear the s/c it was over the studs. I will also be working on the projectors as well and figure out what I need for them to get working so it will be a busy 2 days off as long as nothing comes up. I wish there was another active member who has a supercharged sedan to compare notes with.
The whole thing is held by only those two posts, right? So it should be possible to tilt the whole cover back a bit, hence getting the required clearance up front? not sure how you could do that, but worst case scenario stick some kind of a rubber bumper between it and the engine head?

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #68
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

yeah it's really weird, I don't see how the sedan would have a different location of those posts compared to the LB.. unless the supercharger unit itself is a lil different, after all look at Peter, he didn't need to file down a corner of his to get it to fit, while others did... who knows!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #69
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
to your point filing, didn't Whooppee have to file down a corner on his?
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #70
frownonfun

can either of these logos be engraved? and if so would anyone else want either of these engravings?

Old 03-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #71
LtNoogie

Whatever logo you pick, it needs to be high res. If it's a tiny logo on your screen, it can only be etched as a tiny logo or else you'll see pixelation when he blows it up.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #72
frownonfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
Whatever logo you pick, it needs to be high res. If it's a tiny logo on your screen, it can only be etched as a tiny logo or else you'll see pixelation when he blows it up.
ok... also, and this feels like a dumb question, is it gonna be white like your microimage, uh, image or will it be whatever color the source pic is?