Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
freebluespike

Drives: Yaris
Question 365 CCA reading. does the battery need to be replaced?

just went to get my yaris sedan oil change since i'm going on road trip. ez lube told me that I should replace my battery since it reads 365 CCA instead of a 550 CCA. i jst check the owner manual, and check the indicator light on the battery (2.5 year now) and it's blue which is in Good status.

I don't drive that much since i only have 8200 miles in the past 2.5 years. and I odn't know if i need a new battery or not.??

Last edited by freebluespike; 06-23-2010 at 08:42 PM.
freebluespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Really depends on the weather. If you live in a area that is mostly warm than you can probally get by for awile with 365 cca. The actual definition of CCA is cold cranking amps. If the weather gets really cold it may not start. Also if you dont drive much like you stated if the car sits for long periods of time that could smiply explain why the cca is so low. You never take it for long enough trip to give the altenator a chance to fully charge the battery. It might have to be fully charged on a machine which could take hours before testing. Your results will be different. Typical lifespan of a battery is 4-5 years 2.5 years is a bit premature.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
freebluespike

Drives: Yaris
i live in Southern California, drive my car everyday, it's jut that i don't drive that far away from my home and work so that's why the low milege.

oh..anyone knows what's the OEM CCA for the yaris? i'm trying to find it on the manual or the web, but without success.
freebluespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #4
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebluespike View Post
i live in Southern California, drive my car everyday, it's jut that i don't drive that far away from my home and work so that's why the low milege.

oh..anyone knows what's the OEM CCA for the yaris? i'm trying to find it on the manual or the web, but without success.
I believe its a group 35 which is 550cca. I think if you take your car out for a long drive on the freeway it should charge your battery back up and you should be fine.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Mine still tests around 515 cca, if you've lost nearly 200 cca your battery is probably on its way out. A good tester, like Midtronics 500XL, will measure and adjust for surface charge, state of charge and temperature, and even detect corrosion, and recommend battery replacement or a charge and retest.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote