Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
WATER IN THE ENGINE?

So I have CAI and i had to trim my wheel wells cuz i was rubbing. And now i think that water is getting sucked in? How can i be sure of this? Coming to work today i was stuck at a light and then it turned green and i gave it some gas and it felt like it struggled a bit, almost as if it was bogging out?

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!? I FREAKING OUT!!!!
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
You'll be fine. As long as it doesn't take a gulp of water. If its running, its running. When your engine suddenly stops, then theres a potential problem.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
take off the CAI (it really does not yield any real power) and go to a short ram

and by all means if it happens again, DO NOT REV THE ENGINE.. pull over, remove your spark plugs and crank the engine to ensure the water is pushed out..

even a little bit of water will result in a fracture of your connecting rods..

don't be surprised if you pop the engine in the next 6 months. i recommend cleaning the throttle body and intake runners before this happens or toyota is gonna deny your warranty
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
CAI's are such a waste in these cars. My recommendation is to revert to your stock airbox and throw the CAI away. Company's make a killing off of these things....they take about $10 to make excluding the filter and they charge a hundred or more and it's likely that you are losing torque as a result. The paper element keeps your engine cleaner as well.
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

There are some levels of h2o in the gasoline in your car anyways. Thats why using super old gas isn't recommended. I forget the reasons why, but they're legit reasons.

Small, additional levels of h2o in your engine isn't bad. Just not recommended. Too much of it is bad.

But like Florida boy says, get a shortram. I'll probably one up that, and just tell you to stick with the stock airbox.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #6
falkor_99

Cuz this happened before i was going home in the rain and the next morn i drive to work and its fine and then when i was leaving i was backing out and the car just died!!! i turned it off then started it up again and the same thing happened??!!?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkor_99 View Post
Cuz this happened before i was going home in the rain and the next morn i drive to work and its fine and then when i was leaving i was backing out and the car just died!!! i turned it off then started it up again and the same thing happened??!!?
Maybe your MAF isn't liking it.

Btw, where are all you anti intake people?!!!

I never get any support in the intake threads, when I tell people it isn't exactly worth it.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Btw, I'm loving the rains down here in OC, aren't you? Besides the CAI problem.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
falkor_99

Indeed i am loving the rain....but i just dont want to die on the freeway!!! So should i switch the intake back to stock?

Whats the MAF>
Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Indeed i am loving the rain....but i just dont want to die on the freeway!!! So should i switch the intake back to stock?

Whats the MAF>
I mean MAS. I think. I'm confusing my self now, I was about to say Air Flow Meter.

Btw, The sirens have been going off all morning. I'm scared someone'll hit me, since most people don't exactly understand the relationship between water and grip.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
falkor_99

yeah i already saw a bunch of fender benders. Now im thinking of going home and changing it out.....
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
yeah i already saw a bunch of fender benders. Now im thinking of going home and changing it out.....
Yea dude, I'd just rock the stock airbox. I'd be doing the same, but I lost my stock filter. I don't wanna pony up the money to buy a new filter till my ghetto intake filter gets old.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
falkor_99

man.....that sucks cuz i love the way it sounds and looks.....not cool i guess ill have to do that then =( that makes me sad
Old 12-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I mean MAS. I think. I'm confusing my self now, I was about to say Air Flow Meter.
you had it right the first time. MAF

Mass Airflow Sensor

it's not affected by water (it's sealed)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
falkor_99

Back To Stock

Well i left work and went home and as i was doing that i was bogging big time. So i put back the stock intake and now i dont have that cool sound anymore. But maybe i can see how the mileage goes now =P
Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #16
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
How much of the fenderliner did you trim off?
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
falkor_99

if you are in the wheel well and looking toward the front bumper, i took about 1.5 inches in toward the engine, but its all on the left side all the way to the fender. I didnt think a that much water got in there but when i took off the filter it was drenched.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 PM   #18
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I had a problem with my AEM intake getting wet and I replaced it with the stock air box. I am currently doing a little project from swapping back and forth with the AEM and the stock box with the stock filter and then to a K&N drop in filter. To much avail there is almost no increase in MPG. I am going by number of miles on the tank when the fuel indicator bar starts flashing. They are all looking at about 36 MPG when the bar starts to blink. Only difference in them is there seems to be a little bit more power on take off with the K&N drop in and the AEM versus the stock filter.

I would watch it closely. I was told by someone at AEM that it would not get wet unless you went into a pond. I would try a short ram which is what I may end up going to.

ANY VENDORS HAVING SALES ON SHORT RAMS AND CAN HOOK A BROTHER UP??
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote