Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #1
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Simota CF650-6 Air Intake Review

Hello everyone,

I bought this intake a few weeks ago, and finally got a chance to install and use it for the last couple of days.

http://www.simota.com/productsinfo.php?ID=80

I searched the forum for a bit more info on it, but wasn't able to find too much, so I decided to write a review on it for future buyers. So, without further delay, here it goes:

Installation:

The kit came with a nice set of instructions along with an inventory list to make the air filter box assembly process, easier. I recommend you assemble it first, before doing anything in the car. Attach the filter to the velocity air stack, tighten it down with the hose clamp, and install it in the air box. Making all the holes for the screws line up can be tricky. Be patient and remember to used the 4 shorter bolts that are included in the kit for this. Tighten them down snug with either a screwdriver or a 10mm socket+rachet/wrench.
Next, head over to your car and remove the factory air-box and air hose. Set the Simota air box through the open space into position. This, again, can be tricky, so again, be patient. Then secure it to the car frame with the included bracket. Use the 2 long screws to do this. I suggest using a 10mm socket and ratchet due to the limited space available.
Finally, re-install the air hose and don't forget to switch over the MAF sensor from the factory air-box to the Simota intake.

Top view:

Hold-down bracket:

Side view:

Impressions:

First, I'll start with the good stuff:

I might be pretty biased with this because this is my first ever intake mod. Up until now I've concentrated more on the exhaust side of things (axle-back exhaust, header...) and haven't really seen super extraordinary results. This mod though, has really improved the engine response. Before, I used to have to downshift to get to a decent speed on the highway quickly. Now I no longer have to do that, and I feel the engine pulling harder in all gears! It definitely gave me some extra horses!
The air filter box seems to do a great job of keeping the air intake temperature relatively low. I'll confirm this with a heat gun. Frankly, right now I don't know what to classify this intake as. CAI? SRI? Maybe both?

And now, for the not so great parts:

The intake will rub on other parts of the engine bay. It's unavoidable and something to get used to. I wonder if that's the way it was designed actually. If you didn't scratch the box when installing it, it will get scratched over time.
Another thing, it's a pain in the ass to maintain this intake. There is no way to check the condition of the air filter without taking the entire box out of the engine bay, and if you do need to replace the filter, then you are restricted to the dimensions of the intake air box. At least the filter that comes with the kit is of a good quality, so you won't have too much trouble for a while.
One other thing. Supposedly, this intake is for lift-back models only, but Simota's website states it's for Vios models from '06 and up. Not sure if anyone tried to fit one in their sedan or not...

At any rate, that's my review for this intake. I hope others with find it useful and informative.