Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #73
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I *think* you mean understeer, not oversteer. It's difficult (but not impossible) to give a Yaris oversteer handling. Easier to make it neutral (my preference), and we all know (I think) it's designed to have understeer (= go straight when you want to be turning), which is safer for novice and untrained drivers.

increase oversteer/minimize understeer

stiffen the rear (springs, braces, sway bar, etc)
raise the rear tire pressure
soften the front
lower the front tire pressure
... and more...
Your right I meant understeer, seems there should be some rear bracing that would help I tried all the above.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 AM   #74
rac23

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Have a CAI, TRD exhaust, underdrive crank pulley, tower bar, front and rear sway bars, light-weight 15-inch rims with 205s, TRD shocks and struts, a TRD quick shifter, and now a header goes on tomorrow. A few weeks ago I raced a completely restored 1963 Porsche Super 90 around the narrow, winding roads of Long Island (NY). When he finally caught up to me at a light, he was raving about how my car handled. Said he could hardly keep up with me. His car is now worth around $60K... Mine is just fun to drive.
rac23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #75
regal

I imagine with a supercharger but hows your gas milage?
Old 09-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #76
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
We don't need no stinking gas mileage!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #77
echosqwat

Drives: Porsche Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Your right I meant understeer, seems there should be some rear bracing that would help I tried all the above.
As one of the guys working on Echo performance back in 2001 here is what I did.

*Installed 26 mm Whiteline rear sway bar. Thats huge improvement.
*Instlled TRD rear stiffing kit. Cool factor but I'm not sure it did much to help with turning. Rear sway bar did that and rear tires really dont do much work on these cars. Think I would go front suspension bracing before rear.

*Intrax sport springs
*Koni Sport adjustable shocks
*Camber plate for front to allow camber adjustments.
*Front tower brace.

Rear bar really helps with understeer and also keeps front tires hooked up on exit of turns.

Next is to install lightest 15x7 wheels you can find with nice sticky tire like Falken RT615 or Bridgestone RE11, etc. Less rotating weight the faster you go in these cars. Probably would consider 14" whees as well. Just harder to find good tires.

I used Injen intake. Had cheap header and higher flow exhaust. It adds a little power but not much. I would say supercharger is best path with this motor.

The other big item for performance driving would be LSD. I could light up inside tire like crazy in turns. LSD would remedy that problem.

Lightweight flywheel is another good idea for the Yaris.

I'm looking to buy a Yaris in next several months so I'm putting together my must have mod list.

My Echo slaughtered Porsches at autocross events and I suspect a well setup Yaris would be very similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-2-1123375107.jpg (73.4 KB, 185 views)
echosqwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #78
advocate

Drives: car
While this thread was created to discuss the power of the Yaris I think it quickly turned into an all around modding discussion about the car in general.

So on that general topic the two reasons I put money into my car is that: 1) It's my first car I've ever owned and I love it like it's part of me. 2) The car is small and light. The engine might not be much to show off stock, but the car can push some impressive numbers for sure if you really want it to.

And you also get the satisfaction of knowing that all the other stock Yarii you see on the road couldn't keep up with you even if they got a push start

Anyways just my .02.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #79
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Enough power for a Yaris small lil car
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM   #80
talcum

Drives: Yaris 2008 3 dr 5 spd
The yaris is like a morris or mini 35 years ago. It has enough potential to allow it to autox while still being individualized. Most of you guys may not remember the dodge chargers rentals that were raced back then. They had no individuality at all; just the weld marks where the roll bar was stuck in for the weekend. I just wish the yaris was a little lower....
talcum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 AM   #81
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I understand WHY we mod up the Yaris.

Because it is initially "inexpensive" and we want to see what we can do with it.

If I REALLY wanted a lightweight vehicle that has potential all around, I'll buy a Lotus Exige and boost that. I'd be happy to race a 400 HP Lotus versus a 400 HP Yaris any day of the week.

Of course there's a difference between the two, we all know that. That Lotus is made for the track and the Yaris is definately not.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #82
YaYa1320
YaYa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I'm a die hard honda guy, I currently have 2 del Sol VTECs, a Element SC, have had turbo'ed swapped civics/integras etc... I bought my Yaris because at the time I needed a reliable DD and it was 4g's cheaper than a Fit. I am nothing but AMAZED that this little Yaris makes me so happy everyday I drive it, I have a AFE Intake, Megan axle-back, Megan coilovers, TRD rear sway, Nitto rear underbrace, Rota slips w/Kumho tires, and this thing handles like a go kart. My gf was suprised that we were hanging with a newer 330 BMW on the way back to MD from VA the other night down a twisty 20 mile drive!!! I passed him, then he passed me like WTF??? HAHA!!! He looked suprised I was right behind him in the corners with ease!!! He couldnt pull away... but obviously in a straight line I'd be SMOKED!!!
YaYa1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #83
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yes exactly. Thanks toyo.

Stock Yaris does NOT have enough power. I mean try living in the city with most other cars being 160+hp. And everyone has no patience.

Hills you say? Makes it worse on the engine to probably keep it at 100% load just to keep at the same speed/maybe even while downshifting.

Are you seeing my point?

I like the car, the way it looks, and the way it handles, and the miles to the gallon was the selling point at the time for a first time buyer like me back in 2006.

I wish this car has 150hp/torque. Then it would be ++awesome++.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #84
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Or at least more awesome. :)
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #85
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa1320 View Post
I'm a die hard honda guy, I currently have 2 del Sol VTECs, a Element SC, have had turbo'ed swapped civics/integras etc... I bought my Yaris because at the time I needed a reliable DD and it was 4g's cheaper than a Fit.:

Same here but I got my Yaris for $5k less than the Fit, there is no way the Honda is worth a 50% cost increase over the Yaris.

As far as 150 hp/tq, this would ruin the car. It would have higher insurance rates, be heavier, have less engine life span, and probably get 25 mpg.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #86
Y@R15
Dude wheres my car?

Drives: 98 honda VTi
Quote:
Might sound crazy but this is one peppy torquey little engine, its lightweight body gets propeled just fine for me. I can' imagine headers, test pipe, and a cat back make much of a difference or do they?

what is the fastest car you have ever driven? because a 16.8 is kinda slow if you ask me.

Quote:
Same here but I got my Yaris for $5k less than the Fit, there is no way the Honda is worth a 50% cost increase over the Yaris.

As far as 150 hp/tq, this would ruin the car. It would have higher insurance rates, be heavier, have less engine life span, and probably get 25 mpg.
you pay the extra 50% because it has a H on the front of the car.

allsooo heres the things with a light car like that about 150hp/trq would help you with milage alot. meaning you dont need as much power to move the car and get the rpms higher.the car being lightweight will get a bit more pep from 50hp. youd also not be too much faster but you will notice in a 2400lbs car.
Y@R15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #87
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yes regal honestly what is the fastest car you have been in?
1liter something or another?

I come from always being in Mercedes and pretty much every other car other then a Yaris 100hp.... And I LOVE the feeling of an AMG car pushing you into your seat.

Here is one from just 3 days ago. E55 AMG, being modified with a larger TB, changing out the supercharger pulley(i know I cant spell right now, yawn), and other stuff.

Then I also get to drive my friends S600, 530HP to the wheels, and somewhere between 600-700+torque to the wheels. Its amazing honestly. Doing 60mph, wanting to go around someone, and too much gas will propel you past them at an unbelievable speed. Not something that has to be ever used, but its there!

Then when I get back in my Yaris, Its slow, no leather, but damn it does REAL GOOD on gas and thats ALL I worry about, that and it looks good either way!!!!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG_2096.zip (1.65 MB, 14 views)
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #88
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Yes regal honestly what is the fastest car you have been in?
1liter something or another?

!!
I used to DD a 12 second Buick Turbo REGAL, silly question to ask someone with my screen name.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #89
posaunemeister

Drives: 2008 Yaris S LB - MM
So... I just took my BOMZ CAI with 3" Spectre cone filter out of my Yaris and reinstalled the stock airbox, and needless to say, there was a small yet very noticeable loss of power (according to my butt dyno). However, I've modified the snorkle and added PVC extensions (with rubber elbows) that lead right up to my bored-out fog light cover (that is covered with porch screen mesh). I'm planning on purchasing a drop-in filter in the near future.

I did this knowing well that there would be a power loss, but I got tired of my intake being noisier than my mild mannered exhaust. That definitely did the trick.
posaunemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #90
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by posaunemeister View Post
So... I just took my BOMZ CAI with 3" Spectre cone filter out of my Yaris and reinstalled the stock airbox, and needless to say, there was a small yet very noticeable loss of power (according to my butt dyno). .

The butt dyno is about 90% psychological, no way anyone would be able to tell the difference between stock and a CAI if they weren't told what is in the car.

Does anyone have quarter mile time improvements by doing a CAI + Headers + exhaust upgrade ? IME some cars can come down a second or so.